tuscl

Video cameras in VIP area?

Electronman
Too much of a good thing is never enough
Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:23 AM
A few clubs that I've visited appear to have video cameras (at least the "bubble" domes) mounted in the VIP dance area. On occasion a stripper will make reference to a camera as a means of explaining her limits--- something like, "I'd love to do more than dance but we're being watched (gesturing to the camera) and I don't want to get in trouble." So here are my questions: 1. Does anyone know if the domes typically contain cameras that are real and operational? 2. Are the camera typically high resolution, panable and "zoomable?" 3. Does a club employee typically observing sessions and intervene if a stripper oversteps the club rules on mileage and extras? 4. Do clubs typically record VIP sessions? If so, what happens to the video recordings? I'm neither famous or rich but I ask because I'm surprised that videos of rich and famous SC patrons have not been released on the web (or worse yet, used for extortion).

23 comments

• Player11
    14 years ago
    I had this occur in a club called The Diamond Club and the gal pointed it out. I never went back as I not consider this type of thing intrusive, but a rip off. When I pay money for VIP, I am paying for privacy. I have not seen this in any other clubs in my area.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Clubs claim the camera is there to insure compliance with club rules. As cheap as some owners are, it wouldn't surprise me if the camera was a mounted and hollow fake. Even if real, I doubt if many clubs would go through the expense of setting up a recording system, unless blackmail and extortion were the goal. And in clubs where there are real cameras and extras are allowed, voyeurs in the manager's office are your audience.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    Wear a jacket to the club if you know cameras are in the VIP. Hang your jacket on or over the camera.
  • DandyDan
    14 years ago
    The club I visit most, the Playhouse near Council Bluffs, Iowa, is like that. I'm not high on it, but it's close and I like the girls. Anyway, as far as I can tell: [view link] employer has a lot of those bubble domes and they are certainly operational, so I don't see why the ones in the strip club wouldn't be. 2. Wouldn't know 3. There is always someone watching the videos. In fact, at that club, they have two people on it, one for the VIP and one for the so-called champagne room (since they are at opposite ends of the building). They do intervene, except mostly it's for stuff like not spanking their ass and making sure you aren't sticking your finger in the coochie. 4. I wouldn't know that one, but I've been told whenever they have some big rock star in town, they have come there and bought huge numbers of dances.
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    I used to install security systems, everything from simple systems like in a 7-11 to cutting edge systems such as what's at the Federal Reserve Banks. First off, I have never installed an empty dome. You can expect a camera in every housing. The placebo effect doesn't apply to the protection of assets. The biggest factor is cost. It's relatively cheap to install a couple fixed cameras, pull wire, and a monitor that you can switch between cameras (or even a couple monitors). I wouldn't think that they would record as there isn't a need to preserve evidence. I would expect this is the most common system used in clubs. 2 cameras and a dual input monitor with all the wiring with some warranty could be installed for under $1000. High-res cameras and PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) cameras are expensive. Not only is a PTZ about 5 times more expensive, you need a controller to manipulate it. You also need the controller programmed. If you need to record, you have a couple options with a DVR being the best. If we upgrade our example to PTZ's and add a DRV/PTZ controller, we're looking at $3000 for a very basic set-up. I doubt many clubs would make that investment for such little return.
  • judyjudy
    14 years ago
    Now here is how this has gotten interesting, for me anyway. I have been to two clubs with these installed. i was never instructed by management that these were in the VIP area. The other girls informed me on this being in the room. What i have learned is that some of the management use this to try and screen the girls to see if they provide what and how they want it and then try to get the girl to do it for them.....sometimes for a fee and sometimes just to continue to dance there.......what a shame.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Cue Hall & Oates: Private Eyes they're watching you they see your every move Private Eyes they're watching you Private Eyes they're watching you watching you watching you watching you
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    OK. I accept that all cameras in clubs are live and are used to monitor conduct in the VIP. I know it's tough out there, but the idea that a manager would use a VIP camera to get FS from a dancer is a new low.
  • judyjudy
    14 years ago
    Extreme low.....although i did not say FS....however trying to get any act because of what they saw in a VIP is WRONG!!!!!!!!
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    Because you asked. There are 5 cameras in my favorite club. None in the couch room or champagne room. The monitors are in the managers office. Their locations have been pointed out to me by my ATF. One on the parking lot. Do not want any surprise visits. The rest are on the main room. Management does not want to see an empty stage or disturbance. The dancers all have to check in and out with the manager, so they know they are not being monitored. The bouncers will check the rooms periodicaly to make sure house rules are not being violated. HJ's are tolerated if done discreetly. Any thing more will get a dancer suspended or fired. So relax and have fun.
  • gk
    14 years ago
    Two recent camera stories. 1) A club I hit on my travels was known to have cameras, but they didn't seem to be monitored or even turned on, judging by the fun that goes on there. I go in the oter day and dancer freind asks if I knew XXX got fired. No I hadn't. Seems she was caught by the owner giving a BJ in a private dance cubicle in a very obvious way. Owner went down and stared at her waiting for her to stop--had to tap her on the bobbing head several times to get her attention. She's working somewhere else. Sad, there was something about her that I liked. 2) Another place on my travels I know does not use cameras. But one day I'm in the private dance room expecting my typical friendly service. Well, dancer friend says she can't because they've installed new cameras. Talking to others later, it turns out that this was bogus and the dancer uses that story when she's not in the mood. I've scratched her off my list, regardless of mood.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    1. As has been stated before, I can't see a club going to all the trouble to mount a camera enclosure & not put an actual camera in them. 2. I doubt it, but who knows. 3. Yes, if a club has cameras, that's what they are for silly. 4. If there's a camera in the VIP, I'd expect to be recorded. As for what is done with the hundreds & hundreds of hours of recordings, I guess that would depend on how much storage capacity that the club has in place. I'd bet that most of the recordings are dumped after a certain amount of time goes by in order to clear (either physical or virtual) space. In general, I haven't seen many strip clubs that have cameras in LD areas, but if you see one, you're likely to get less mileage than maybe you'd like to get.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    As an idea, if you go back with a dancer that is known for extras, do as SD mention in some way. If someone goes to check the action, they will see nothing and likely do one of two things. Come into the room to check, OR wait till you exit then go in. The latter you can monitor to see if they check.
  • Electronman
    14 years ago
    Thanks for the helpful posts, especially for the mini course on security camera systems by Phillip A. Stein. I like the jacket over the camera dome idea but at the club that inspired my inquiry (a Michigan Deja Vu), the dome was mounted in the ceiling about 12 feet above the lap dance area so I'd need a ladder to do anything to obscure the view of the camera. I don't recall details but there was a club near Ypsilanti Michigan that was busted for tax evasion by the owner and reports emerged about hundreds of hours of surveillance tapes. I had never visited this particular club so I wasn't worried (personally) but I always wondered about the status of the confiscated video footage. My preference is for ultra high mileage clubs without cameras but when I can't get to these clubs and want a LD fix, I do have the tendency to politely explore where the dancer draws the "line" on contact, extras, etc. I'm surprised that I haven't had any LDs or VIP dances interrupted because of rules transgressions that were detected on video surveillance (thus my question about whether the domes contained operational cameras and produced video feeds that were really being monitored in real time).
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Cameras must be there to avoid theft of club property and equipment LOL
  • babehunter90
    14 years ago
    In addition to the whole anti-extras thing, keep in mind that the dancers are dealing with considerable sums of cash. At one of the clubs I go to, it's not uncommon to see some of the more popular girls with armbands stuffed with $100 bills. In addition, some dancers have been known to engage in pickpocketing (or so my club favorite tells me). The cameras act as a theft deterrent for both parties.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Pickpocketing is a huge problem at asian massage joints or anywhere your pants come off
    14 years ago
    A fave who has "retired" worked for a few months as a house mom at what is now Club Onyx in Philly. They had a monitor with the champagne room feed in her office as well as the managers office. One time she gets a call from the manager "take a look at what's going on". Older lawyer doing a 21 year old hottie standing doggie. Manager fired the dancer's ass. My fave said it wasn't unusual for extras to happen but normally the girls were discrete. The standing doggie was just too obvious.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    at dreamgirls they once had it set up that the video camera monitor was in public eyesight. The tv was about 20 inches and had about 12 boxes each monitoring a different LD. It was in black and white. I did end up getting a lap dance anyways despite the video monitoring. I did plenty of groping of her tits and ass but no extras. They no longer have the video monitoring booth in public eyesight. Either the new mgmt got rid of the cameras or they moved the monitoring to a more private place.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    "Wear a jacket to the club if you know cameras are in the VIP. Hang your jacket on or over the camera." A lot of the clubs in columbus have a coat check. They claim they do it for safety so you can't sneak a gun in as easily but I think it is just so they can hassle customers for coat check tips.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "Pickpocketing is a huge problem at asian massage joints" I've actually never had a problem with stealing at any AMPs that I've been to. Sure, they are known for going through your pockets to see how much money you can spend on a potential tip though. I just saw a funny movie about AMPs on the Sundance Channel...it was called "Feel".
  • mmdv26
    14 years ago
    Hey PAS, thanks for the info. When the girls told me the owner had installed night vision (see in dim light), zoomable and IR cameras over the weekend, my first thought was how expensive that could be. Told the girls he would be able to see if they had Johnson out for some fresh air. Another dancer told me they are expensive, but the owner picked-up some "hot" ones for next to nothing. Then he was getting set up so he could monitor the cameras over the internet from either his home or main office. I stuck a strip of duct tape to the lower part of a dome a year or two ago. Heard that the owner got pissed, and grilled the dancers about who done it. Apparently the camera was off during the stick-on misssion. I'll bet hairspray would permanently fog up the plastic dome.
  • gk
    14 years ago
    Hairspray! Great idea. Especially because most are mounted on the ceiling, out of reach(couldn't throw a coat over them), but you could spray them. But wouldn't we have to assume it was "on" and we would be IDd as the perp?!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion