Comments by rickdugan

a day ago
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    Wow, the noise is still continuing in the press, even as Biden has made it clear - over and over - that he's not going anywhere. The disloyalty shown by members of the Party is truly breathtaking. Do they really think that anything will be better if he actually succumbed to the pressure? The Party would be fractured, with residual Biden loyalists sitting out the general election out of protest. Party leadership foolishly believes that they can message their way out of it, but it's gone on too long and been too public for that to work now. Their best bet is to get behind Biden ASAP to stem the bleeding.
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    Yet another very clear message communicated from his campaign co-chair just a few hours ago. https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/19/politics/video/democrats-biden-drop-out-presidential-race-tv-ad-pass-the-torch-escobar-digvid This guy is going all the way.
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    ===> "Do you think they would go so far as to take him out "unwillingly"?" Tbh I struggle to see how. Even assuming that the VP and all of those heads of executive offices found the courage to try invoke the 25th Amendment, the President can dispute it, which would then require a 2/3 majority of both houses of Congress to enact. It would never happen, for too many reasons to easily spell out. So that leaves the delegates who are pledged to Biden. I doubt that trying to turn them would be much use either. They are political animals themselves. If it were you, which story would you prefer to go home with as you plan the next steps in your political career, that you: (a) stuck with the nominee who the voters elected because you felt like you didn't have a choice, or (b) decided to take matters in your own hands and completely ignored the nomination process that took place in your state? So no, I just don't see a realistic path to remove him against his will.
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    From what I see posted in this and other threads here, some of you guys STILL aren't getting it, lol. His campaign just made that clear - yet again - just a couple of hours ago. https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/19/biden-wont-drop-out-campaign-insists-in-new-memo-.html He is not going anywhere folks and it was never a serious consideration. Nobody who tastes the sweet deference and trappings of being the most powerful man in the world is going to give it up willingly. The world hangs on his every word and action. He is surrounded by people waiting to do his bidding. He is a power broker in some of the most important decisions made and actions taken around the world. You can be absolutely certain that he has no intention of leaving all of that before he must. So now all he has to do is keep making it clear and keep campaigning. He has the delegates and the DNC needs to get the virtual nomination done by August 5th in order to avoid potential issues in the Ohio ballot process. Soon enough the noise will be over and the Dems will shut their whiny hypocritical mouths and grudgingly get back in line.
    Is Joe Biden going to be the Democratic nominee?
    The Dems have clearly entered the bargaining stage of the 5 stages of grief. They are still clinging to the belief that, after all of this, they can still push Biden to resign. LOL. Time is on Biden's side. The DNC has made it clear that they will conduct the virtual delegate roll call to nominate Biden no later than August 5th in order to avoid potential legal complications in Ohio. All Biden has to do now is sit tight for two more weeks.
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    I still maintain that he's not going anywhere. I also question the value of pressuring him to step down at this point. A certain % of Dem primary voters will not forgive the Party if this happens, at least in time for the upcoming election. It doesn't matter how much the Dems spin it or how gracious Biden might be in conceding, the damage will be done. Republicans will be able to keep the backstabbing disloyalty front and center during the election cycle.
    rattdog
    New York
    THOUGHTS ON THE RUSSIAN GIRLS?
    I like the Russian girls. A girl who is my second ATF was Russian. On the surface they seem much like the Cuban girls, but when you dig under the surface a bit you learn that they aren't. For starters, they come here with the goal of assimilating. They learn the language and, quite often, ultimately find American husbands. IME one thing that's important to know is that they don't like over-emotional men. That includes guys who are whiny, goofy or defensive. They have a very particular view of how men are supposed to act, no doubt due to the more patriarchal system that they grew up in. They are also perfectly happy to relieve silly and/or stupid men of large sums of money, without a single qualm. They also seem cold at the outset, but they can definitely warm up and certainly know how to charm and seduce a man - if they think you're worth the effort. That means that they can relate to you, believe that you can keep your mouth shut and think that you could be an ongoing source of income. Heck Russian strippers in the NY metro area were doing the sugarbaby thing here in the U.S. long before it became fashionable, lol. Except that they call the guys "boyfriends" instead of SDs. Once I broke the barrier with one Russian dancer, which meant building rapport and getting her OTC, I learned a lot about how they operate. This includes how the "agency" system works in NYC clubs, the goals that most of these girls had to stay in the U.S. permanently along with the methods they used and, yes, how common it was for them to find "boyfriends" in the clubs they worked in. It was quite interesting.
    gammanu95
    My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
    Trump's VP is chosen
    Trump had no choice but to pick somebody relatively unknown. He couldn't exactly pick anyone who ran against him in a primary. Every insult and criticism that was leveled by that person against Trump during the primaries would be regurgitated in Biden campaign ads and by Biden's cheerleading squad, otherwise known as the mainstream media. So J.D. Vance it is. He doesn't add a ton, but he doesn't hurt either. It's also believed that, given his background, he might be able to help the campaign in some of the swing states - namely PA and WI.
    WiseToo
    New York
    Trump Shot at Rally in Pennsylvania
    ===> "As predicted, Democratic leader responses have been classy, Republicans are spewing dangerous conspiracy theories." What choice do they have now? They've been spewing shrill nonsense for months now, claiming that Trump was a fascist, danger to democracy, etc., etc., and that everything must be done to stop him. Is it any surprise that some screwed up 20 year old took it seriously and acted on it? Oh, and as to your other comment, use some common sense dude. Even if the kid hadn't recently donated $15 to a progressive voter turnout group, someone doesn't do what this kid without ample fuel - even if it wasn't personally delivered.
    WiseToo
    New York
    Trump Shot at Rally in Pennsylvania
    @Whodey: In order to believe that Trump was sponsoring insurrection, you have to be a fucking moron. Seriously now. Who except a dipshit with no understanding of the depth or breadth of the U.S. government would believe that a couple thousand overzealous protestors could somehow overthrow the U.S. government?
    blockbird
    Maryland
    At what point do you become too old for clubbing?
    ===> "At what point do you become too old for clubbing?" I suppose when it's no longer fun. I'll admit that I'm getting to a point where I need the payoff less than I used to. This doesn't just impact my interactions with strippers, but sugar babies as well. The good news for me is that I'm still young enough to squirrel extra money aside for my kids, so there is a net benefit to my physical changes. If I can hold on for another decade or so, I will be able to leave a legacy behind now that I'm not spending a fortune on young females, lol.
    WiseToo
    New York
    Trump Shot at Rally in Pennsylvania
    That should have been "a couple thousand" lol.
    WiseToo
    New York
    Trump Shot at Rally in Pennsylvania
    The Dems have been fanning this notion that Trump winning would be the end of democracy for years. This shit is the result. And for anyone who quotes the Jan 6 nonsense, you have to be an utter fucking moron to think that a couple of mostly unarmed civilians were even a remote threat to the U.S. government. I mean dumb as a box of fucking rocks to think that the U.S. government could be supplanted by a couple thousand overzealous protestors. It is a sprawling multi-agency entity with hundreds of thousands of armed soldiers at its disposal. I mean fucking seriously now. Yet the Dems have been fanning this relatively inconsequential event as a sign of some great attempt to overthrow democracy. Small wonder that some nutjob took a shot at Trump.
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    @Hank: And how exactly are they going to "push" him? He has the pledged delegates. He's also sitting on a $220 million war chest and will inevitably raise more. He also gets all the free press he can handle by virtue of his role as sitting President. So who has the leverage to push him in any direction other than his own? A handful of Congressmen? A few actors? A few editorial boards? The answer is: None of them. He holds all the cards.
    rickdugan
    Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
    Biden isn't going anywhere - July 12, 2024
    Ron, in all fairness to Bernie, he had a point. The "super delegates" all lined up for Clinton so early in the primaries that it made his bid look hopeless from the start. He understandably argued that this may have discouraged and/or suppressed primary support for his campaign. Now the super delegates only get a vote if the nominee is not selected in the first round of voting. Obviously this won't make it to round 2 given Biden's pledged delegates.
    Dan3635
    Gulf Coast. I’m not your boss.
    Expense Account
    Back in the 90s it was common. It was still not uncommon in 2001, when I received my first corporate Amex card and had shared responsibilities for entertaining clients and prospects. That card took a beating in clubs in DC and NYC - I'll just leave it at that. But when the 2001-2002 recession hit, everything changed, at least in my industry. Large companies started clamping down on both the dollars and the types of entertainment that could be expensed and that definitely included strip clubs. When the economy recovered, those companies largely kept those policies in place. I'm sure that the increasing number of women in professional roles in these workplaces also had something to do with it. Heck, as an aside, around the same time a lot of companies also put in place prohibitions on employee reimbursements for alcohol purchased during meals when traveling for work. Unless of course it was part of client entertainment or some other hosting event. Changing times.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    ===> "It was at the heart of my point that both sides are engaged in the lawfare war and I don’t see how it goes away as we seem to getting more divided as a country." You don't get to play the "both sides are equally culpable" card when one side has been pounding the shit out of it when another has not. Or when judges become active participants, as was all too obvious in the two NY cases. The multi-angle attacks against Trump were unprecedented. And it goes away when they stop doing it. Heck, the NY AG Leticia James actually campaigned on the promise of prosecuting Trump, before she knew if any crime was actually committed. Just imagine that - a prosecutor in search of a crime to prosecute. Alvin Bragg was no doubt similarly motivated when he manufactured a felony out of a recordkeeping dispute - that had passed the statute of limitations incidentally. Neither could have succeeded without tremendous help from the judges involved, which is the scariest part of all to me. Sadly, 25's simplistic and myopic attitude is all too commonly shared by the liberals who cheered this nonsense on: Whatever it takes to get the orange bad man is A-OK because he brought it on himself. But these issues are far bigger than Trump. History may remember these historically corrupt prosecutions as a turning point in American jurisprudence.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    ^ Trump talked loud, but was by and large restrained in his actual use of power against political enemies. Biden OTOH speaks softly (if he can be understood at all), but has been much more aggressive in his actual (ab)use of power. Hopefully Trump will continue to exercise the same restraint when he's back in the WH. But if not, you can bet he'll use the ridiculous multi-pronged lawfare campaign waged against him as his excuse.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    ^ The degree of lawfare matters when local officials, with just a little bit of power, turn minor cases into major ones with potentially severe consequences. The degree of lawfare matters when judges are bending over backwards to facilitate these cases. All Trump could be proved guilty of in the hush payment case was making a hush payment, which itself is not illegal. Whether he knew the details of how it was paid, and what his intent was in doing so, were all inferred thanks to a very helpful judge. This case will never survive appeal. Now was he guilty in the loan paperwork case? I'd agree with that. But given the victimless nature of the crime, that should have been settled out of court for a fine. instead they treated a speeding ticket case like a grand larceny conviction, again thanks to a very helpful judge. You seem not to understand the gravity of these lawfare escalations, but eventually you will. What happens to me, can happen to thee, when the shoe is on the other foot. Prosecutors and most especially judges are not supposed to behave like this and once it becomes acceptable, the rule of law loses the respect it needs to flourish.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    25, it's over dude. All that's left now if for the Dems to complete their trip through the 5 stages of grief. Right now many of them are still in the 1st stage, which is denial, but soon enough they will cycle through the stages until they finally move to the last one, which of course is acceptance.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    ===> "For all of you saying that lawfare is the threat to our democracy, have you forgot who led the chants of ‘lock her up’ in 2016?" The important point however is that, when he took office, nobody talked about Hillary again. It's one thing to chant, but another to act. As far as the rest, you can't equate that basket of odds and ends moments with the completely out of bounds behavior by various Dem state and local prosecutors, nor with the NY judges who were such willing accomplices. Especially with what took place in NY. A civil suit over a paperwork violation that should have been a wrist slap, with no victim to speak of since the loan was repaid on time and in full, turned into a mammoth penalty - basically a hand amputation ordered for a speeding ticket. The judge would have done even worse if an appeals court didn't signal that trying to liquidate Trump's entire enterprise wouldn't fly. Unbelievable. Then there was the hush money payment that was morphed into a felony using novel legal gymnastics, aided by a judge who instructed a jury decide which felony was committed - again unbelievable. Worse though is that they prosecution couldn't even link Trump to the decision on how the payment was made, but of course the helpful judge also instructed the jury that they were allowed to make inferences. Neither of the NY cases will likely stand on appeal, but they should scare anyone who believes that justice is supposed to be apolitical. This was a wild escalation of lawfare, but sadly not the end I suspect.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    25, I hate to say I told you so, but...lol. https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/08/politics/joe-biden-house-democrats/index.html https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/08/politics/video/president-biden-interview-presidental-race-debate-digvid The funny thing is, after he sent that letter to Congress today and went on Morning Joe, the flood of hysterical articles about the need for him to quit, his obvious impairment issues, etc., suddenly stopped. In fact, CNN and Yahoo News already stripped them off their front pages, lol. I guess the Democratic Press Corps have received their new marching orders. 😉 This should be interesting.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    ===> "I’m of the opinion that it’s not a question of if, he’s going to quit, rather it’s when." I'd take the other side of that bet. Did you hear him last night during his ABC interview? And at his recent rallies? It's clear he has no intention of quitting and we're a mere 6 weeks from the Democratic convention and only 4 months away from the general election.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    ^ 25, tbh I expected better from you than to see you spouting that "convicted criminal" nonsense. Nobody with a lick of sense and a decent familiarity with the case is confused about the absurdity of the charges. The legal gymnastics that they employed to raise it to a felony will almost certainly be thrown out on appeal. If it was anyone else but Trump it never would have seen the light of day. I can't stand the orange bad man and wish that any other Republican secured the nomination. But what should be scarier than Trump getting back into office is the utter weaponization of prosecutorial powers by Dems seeking to keep him out by any means necessary. Our legal system is just not supposed to be used like that.
    Book Guy
    I write it like I mean it, but mostly they just want my money.
    First Presidential Debate?
    In case some of you haven't figured it out yet, Biden isn't going anywhere, lol. I have to say that the amount of disloyalty being shown by Dems to their own sitting President is truly a sight to behold. I mean don't get me wrong, Dem voters have always been understood to be weak self-absorbed ankle biters who just want others to take care of them. But even by these exceedingly low standards the sped at which they turned on their own was remarkable. Sorry to say folks, but for those of you who so desperately want Biden replaced, it looks like you're gonna have to dance with the one who brung you.