tuscl

Georgia Poll Tax

elvis2
Florida
Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:14 PM
Heard on radio talk show today the State of Georgia is considering a " POLL TAX " on strip clubs. It would be a 3 to 5 dollar fee to be paid at the door, like a cover charge. Monies raised would be used to fund state programs for sexually battered women.Imagine that !

12 comments

• ozymandias
    15 years ago
    They should at least connect the tax to some issue that's strip-club related, like "lap dance groin injuries" or "advances in glitter removal from cloth". O.
  • CarolinaWanderer
    15 years ago
    Texas imposed a similar $5-per-customer strip club fee in 2008 that was declared unconstitutional by a state district judge. Judge Scott Jenkins wrote last March that the Lone Star state fee, "while furthering laudable goals, violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and is therefore invalid."
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Wait until the IRS decides that strippers are really employees, not independent contractors. Serious tax consequences to that decision.
  • how
    15 years ago
    Legislators are typically hogs at a trough. They can never get enough of your money. Some new tax proposals: --Tax owners of cows for bovine flatulence, as it introduces "greenhouse gases" into the atmosphere --Force auto makers to install GPS trackers in all vehicles, so lawmakers can tax you by the mile You cannot parody liberals!
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    As a resident of GA, if enacted, it would have little affect on me. I rarely go to any clubs here because they all suck.
  • Dudester
    15 years ago
    Just plain stupid. Ruled unconstitutional in Texas, yet they're gong to spend state money on lawyers to go after something with a low margin of success.
  • atlforlife
    15 years ago
    How, the idea is being proposed by a republican [view link]
  • how
    15 years ago
    Fair enough, atlforlife, but republicans can be liberals also, and can have horrific ideas for new taxes. The examples I gave (cows and miles) are from liberals. Term limits for all of them, I say. They need to stop thinking our earnings are theirs for the taking.
  • Pete22z
    15 years ago
    When I go it's not very often and I usually spend a lot. 3 bucks disappears rather quickly for me in clubs.
  • Pete22z
    15 years ago
    On principle it seems unconstitutional since clubs and those issues aren't related. I guess it's difficult to come up with a shitty dad tax.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    This kind of tax will only hurt the honest, law-following clubs and not do any thing to the shady clubs.
  • robofan
    15 years ago
    Typical government philosophy punish the innocent and ignore the guilty. The vast majority of customers at a strip club have legitimate jobs where they already pay a huge percentage of their income in taxes. So what does the government do they pass legislation to make them pay even more. Whereas almost every employee in a strip club works for cash tips almost none of it get reported and almost no taxes are paid. Makes me wonder if when a person get elected to office if they have to under go some kind of treatment until they are rendered completely stupid.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion