tuscl

Be Careful Out There, People

Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:28 PM
From today's Belleville (IL) News-Democrat I'll think of this when people caution me against going to Tijuana because it is too--dangerous. ******************* Missouri man severely beaten outside Washington Park strip club BY CAROLYN P. SMITH - News-Democrat WASHINGTON PARK -- A Missouri man is on life support, pending organ donation after he was struck in the head with a blunt object outside a strip club early today. The 35-year-old victim, whose name was not released, was attacked about 1 a.m. outside Dolly's Playhouse, a strip club at 62nd Street and Forest Avenue. Detective Kim McAfee said police found the victim lying on the ground with a head wound. His shirt had been torn off. Police have not confirmed either a motive or any suspects in this case.- But McAfee said the motive may have been robbery. "We've had a lot of robberies around club areas," he said. McAfee said anyone with information about this attack is urged to contact the Washington Park Police Department at 874-0115. McAfee said the victim was struck as he was entering- the club. "He was walking toward the entrance of the club when the suspect suddenly appeared from behind a white Mercedes," McAfee said. "They walked a few feet and the suspect attacked the victim right at the entrance door." "He was taken to a local hospital where he is on life support, pending organ donation," McAfee said. Police are looking for two men who were in a white Ford Taurus outside the business. "The occupants appeared to have watched- the altercation and we just want to question them," McAfee said. And, police also are looking for- another white car that was in- the area.- It appeared to have pulled off and returned to the scene to watch the attack. A man and a woman were in this car. McAfee said police are viewing some video that was captured by cameras at the business. "We're hopeful that the individuals we're looking for will turn themselves in to the police department. They are not suspects, only persons of interest that we would like to question," McAfee said. Contact reporter Carolyn P. Smith at 239-2503.

17 comments

• Clubber
    16 years ago
    "McAfee said the victim was struck as he was entering- the club" Must have been a smart criminal.
  • ozymandias
    16 years ago
    I was thinking the same thing. A few years ago there was a downtown club - very "upscale" - I used to frequent. When I would leave a car full of hookers would drive by inviting me to join them, I\and I'd always say "girls, you need to get the guys BEFORE they go in"... at which point they would drive away hurling epithets at me. They never did get it right. O.
  • minnow
    16 years ago
    Thanks for heads up, chitown. O-man, yeah, I've been approached by hookers on a few occasions AFTER leaving club.(I was walking back towards hotel, or remote location free parking). I've told them "no thanks, I've blown my wad already".
  • Cougar289
    16 years ago
    Very scary indeed since this is my local neighborhood (so to speak). I was at Dollies last week, but I only go during the day, but still wow! I’m a semi regular at Dollies and always felt it wouldn’t be good to go there at night. Three weeks ago we had another very serious attack here in E. St. Louis at City Nights. I met the guy that was attacked in which he was shot 3 times and should have died, but did survive. He was attacked at 7:30 PM which is too close for day time for me. He is a well thought of partner of a local accounting firm. Not sure if robbery was a motive there since he still had his wallet and all his money. They now have a very visible fulltime security guy outside that club. Yes sir ree it's only days for me.
  • Dudester
    16 years ago
    A robber did get the drop on me once, in a hotel parking lot. He was clever enough to have his partner out in front of me acting suspiciously. I was so concerned watching him that I didn't see the guy coming up from behind. I've been in many fights, and won most of them easily, so when the guy hit my head from behind, I thought he'd just bought himself a whole six pack of hurt. We went to the ground and when the gun went off right next to my right eye, the bullet grazing my right eyebrow, I knew it was time to fork over the wallet. Luckily, I only ended up with some scrapes and a couple of lumps.
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    "Let's be careful out there." Frankly I don't think this is as much a strip-club story, as just a nasty-neighborhood story. Going clubbing puts money in your pocket, alcohol in your bloodstream, and late-nights on your calendar. That's already a recipe for muggings. In my opinion, crime doesn't congregate around strip-clubs as much as around willing victims. I mean, did the strippers all come to work with metal poles and white Mercedes cars at that club? No. So, watch your back in every parking lot. If you're going to a blues club in Jackson Mississippi (which is so goddamned hung-up about Baptist sex rules that there is really NO strip club in the entire town) you can get seriously badly mugged and beaten in the parking lot. Same if you're going to a jazz club in New Orleans. Has little to do with adult entertainment. More, with going out at night.
  • As a fan of ESL, keep me posted on how this guy's doing, please.
  • chitownlawyer
    16 years ago
    Here's the update from 12/22: *********************************** Witnesses describe beating outside Washington Park strip club; victim on life support BY CAROLYN P. SMITH - News-Democrat WASHINGTON PARK -- Two of the four people of interest police were looking for in connection with a bludgeoning that left a 35-year-old St. Louis man hospitalized and on life support, went to the Police Department on Sunday afternoon to tell police what they saw early Saturday. And, now, police are looking for an older model, turquoise Cutlass, believed to be a 1990s model in connection with the case. "This vehicle, believed to have Illinois plates was seen leaving the parking lot headed in the same direction that the suspect was running.-We believe that vehicle picked the suspect up. It had two people in it," Detective Kim McAfee said. McAfee said after talking with the two persons of interest Sunday, "We learned that-the victim was struck by the suspect as he was-heading to the entrance to Dolly's Playhouse on 62nd Street and Forest Boulevard." "The suspect, with a weapon in his hand, chased the victim to the door.-The witnesses observed the victim getting beat and also heard gunshots," McAfee said. The persons of interest, whose names were not released, wanted to help the victim, but didn't because the suspect had a gun. "The driver attempted to get out, but the passenger told him it was unsafe because the suspect had a weapon," McAfee said. Asked why the individuals didn't at least call the police, McAfee said he didn't know. Police are still seeking the male and female-in the Cutlass.-McAfee said police are hopeful the videotape they have will lead them to the individuals. "They know who they are.-We are looking for them to come in to the Police Department.-And, we are out looking for them, too," McAfee said. Anyone with any information regarding this case is urged to call the Washington Park Police Department at 874-0115 or CrimeStoppers at 866-371-TIPS. The victim, McAfee said, "as far as I know is still on life support, pending organ donation."
  • Book Guy
    16 years ago
    "Asked why the individuals didn't at least call the police, McAfee said ..." they were hookers who didn't want to either get arrested for wearing ridiculous skimpy outfits out in the winter air, or get beaten by their pimp for calling the cops in on him.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    "I'll think of this when people caution me against going to Tijuana because it is too--dangerous." It is a sad story, but I wonder if it is more dangerous than the local clubs that I go to. Heck, just watching the football game (last year?) some crack addict was trying to bust thru the flimsy front door of my home. Fortunately, I had a weapon----didn't think I ever have cause for using it in my own home and actually perceived it as more of a liability even if used in self-defense. Some of my buddies are even afraid to get out of their cars to visit me and the clubs? Not a chance. They see less than wealthy people and immediately see extreme danger. Doesn't impress 'em at all that I have been killed yet. This one buddy was cute. He was interested in a foreclosure and it wasn't too far from me so we took a ride. He goes off the deep end when he spots an apparent drug dealer and refused to leave his car. When he was young he was a brave man.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    "Asked why the individuals didn't at least call the police,." I can't see calling the police unless it is to reduce my liability. If someone needs me to call the police, then much more likely than not they's gonna be plumb outta luck whether it be their property and or person in danger. Yeah, not very caring. Oh well, that is the way the game is played.
  • jablake
    16 years ago
    Correction: Doesn't impress 'em at all that I haven't been killed yet.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    I'm more concerned with leaving a club with a strange girl and whether or not she may have some sexual disease. That could be life threatening. Regular thieves can be shot and killed. hmmm, maybe if we set up an anonymous bounty for hitmen to take out anyone who steals from someone in a strip club parking lot. Ahhh, nevermind, that's what we pay the police for. If the strip club is run by the mafia, they may their own hitmen anyway to eliminate the problem away from the club.
  • Clubber
    16 years ago
    casualguy, Perhaps not a PC thing to say, as if that would bother me, but your idea, or at least something like it, is becoming more plausible. I can see vigilante justice becoming more the norm in this country as liberal courts let more and more criminals run free. There was a recent example at a local club. A person was beaten (not nearly as seriously as above) outside the club. Police were called and reports taken. Pretty much the end of that story. Now, the attacked person was a regular. The perps first mistake. Second, the victim recognized them. Second mistake. And third, they were dealt some reprisal justice. Not a mistake. End of story.
  • shadowcat
    16 years ago
    Yes. Be careful but don't be paranoid. Shit happens.
  • casualguy
    16 years ago
    I saw the movie Wanted the other day. I can see the appeal of being an extremely skilled assassin but the movie had superpowers combined with being an assassin, a very unique combination. I think they could have made that movie a whole lot more interesting if the assassins were a group of strip club visitors instead of weavers. They see tits in the club and bullets and knives later. Reducing crime by taking out those who committed crimes in the wrong place. Of course you could get in a gray area defining what is a crime worthy to go after. Good movie. I agree be careful.
  • 3LeggedMan
    16 years ago
    A few years ago I was greeted by a car full of beauties as I left Centerfolds in Houston. First thought (from small head) was "WOW! Life is Great! Let's Go!!!. But then big head said "Wait a minute. There's 3 of them and who knows, maybe a block away, some big muscular dudes. This seems a little risky." So I declined. But I'll always wonder what I passed up.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion