tuscl

Follow up to February story about Attorney caught up in Craigs list LE sting

Monday, January 12, 2009 3:20 AM
Last February, I wrote about a colleague who was jumped an arrested by LE as he approached a house in which he had arranged for a P4P assignation on CraigsList. The follow up to the story, 11 months later: 1. After much procedural wrangling, and many continuances of his trial, he reached a deal with the prosecutorial authorities to plead guilty to disorderly conduct, and pay a fine of $1,500.00. Some term of probation was also involved. 2. He remains with the law firm by whom he was employed at the time of his arrest. 3. I have not heard anything to indicate that the State Supreme Court has moved to take any action concerning his law license. 4. He was married on Christmas Eve.

13 comments

• minnow
    15 years ago
    "He was married on Christmas Eve......." How was his bachelor party ????
  • jablake
    15 years ago
    Thank you for the update! Assignation, a fine word indeed. :)
  • SuperDude
    15 years ago
    Close call. Glad he dodged the bullet.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    I keep in mind that he is an attorney who probably knows how to navigate the legal system much better than the average joe.
  • clubsblue0303
    15 years ago
    I assume disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor. That's why he keeps his lawyer job. Still, our tax dollars at their finest work.
  • chitownlawyer
    15 years ago
    Actually, in Illinois, solicitation of a prostitute, the original charge, is also a misdemeanor. However, "disorderly conduct" can refer to almost anything, and has no clear sexual overtones. A friend of mine had a client who was caught in a prostitution sting after 28 years of public school teaching. If the schoolteacher/client was convicted of solicitation of a prostitute(incl. conviction pursuant to a guilty plea, he would have lost his pension. My friend worked out a deal whereby the schoolteacher instead plead guilty to disorderly conduct. Although the fine for disorderly conduct was $1,000 more than for solicitation of a prostitute, the deal save the teacher's pension--not a bad result, in my opinion.
  • jablake
    15 years ago
    "--not a bad result, in my opinion." Sounds like an excellent result even if he was 100% innocent.
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    Here in my town we have a criminal defense attorney (solo practicioner, I think; or he has one or two underling attorneys, tiny operation) who has been convicted at least once of cocaine possession. If you're here and you get in trouble, don't hire him. Somehow he keeps his license ...
  • GooberMan
    15 years ago
    What is P4P assignation?
  • GooberMan
    15 years ago
    After more Google searching, I gather it means Pay for Performance tryst.
  • jablake
    15 years ago
    I think it is Play 4 Pay. A truly wise and honorable proposition.
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    You are both wrong. As it is used on TUSCL it means Pay 4 play!
  • jablake
    15 years ago
    Dang, I hate being wrong. But, thanks for the correction.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion