tuscl

Pay it forward?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I did my weekly grocery shopping at my Kroger this afternoon. The woman in front of me had a full cart of groceries and paid for it with a credit card. Then she gave the cashier some cash. a TIP?

As the cashier was scanning my groceries she told me that the woman in front of me had given her $40 to help for pay for my groceries and she did. She took $40 off of my $87 bill. Did I look needy?

I almost feel guilty. Do I give the next dancer I see $40 towards a blow job?

12 comments

• Jascoi
    13 hours ago
    Were you wearing any distressed clothing?
    Maybe needing a haircut or a shave?
    I usually do. I look comfortable. But nobody's ever taken to giving me a tip.

I suppose you could use that $40 toward a BJ.
    But it might be better spent by you to give it to somebody that is in need (but they are not panhandling.)
  • wallanon
    13 hours ago
    Did the back of her head look familiar? You've been the shadowcat a long time now lol.
  • Rob1115
    13 hours ago
    In New York City quite a few years ago I had the guy in front of pay my bridge toll. No explanation, the toll taker just said the guy ahead paid.
  • skibum609
    12 hours ago
    ^^lmao.
  • motorhead
    12 hours ago
    It used to happen all the time at drive thru restaurants - but never heard of it at the grocery store. Seems to be disappearing at drive thrus since almost everyone is paying thru an app
  • sfrsox
    11 hours ago
    Why does this never happen to me?

I hate the lottery but I probably would have taken $5 for a scratch off and $2 for the traditional
    Lotto if that happened to me

Def your lucky day
  • Studme53
    11 hours ago
    Wow! Weird. You definitely have to pay it forward for good Karma. Maybe give the $40 to someone in the store who looked like they need it. Like some mom with kids?
    Ha ha - a tip for a BJ doesn’t count.
  • whodey
    11 hours ago
    I had that happen once about 10 years ago at an airport bar when my connecting flight was delayed due to weather. The bartender said a passenger that had just left gave him $200 to pay for drinks for the next several customers because the passenger was so happy that his flight was the last one leaving before the airport shut down for the snow.

Being snowed in at the airport in Chicago was bad, but a free glass of Woodford Reserve did make it slightly better.
  • JamesSD
    11 hours ago
    It's stupid, but you're "supposed" to pass it along to the next person until someone who really needs it comes along
  • TheeOSU
    8 hours ago
    I guess $40 is the magic number.
    I was in the check out line at the grocery store on St Patricks day last year. The lady in front of me was rung up and her groceries were bagged and in her cart but was still talking with the cashier. I was in a hurry and getting a bit aggravated because I wanted to get out of there but kept my mouth shut and waited.
    The lady before me left and after my items were rung up the cashier told me the previous lady had left $40 to pay for my groceries which had rung up at about $38. I asked the cashier why and she didn't know, just said some people were like that

I get to the parking lot and the lady that bought my groceries was just getting in her car to leave and I thank her and ask why she paid for my groceries. Her reply was happy st patricks day.

Earlier this year I approach the check out line and there's an elderly lady in line with a couple items in her cart. I start to get in line behind and she insists that i get in front of her. I only had a couple items, didn't even have a cart and I told her something along the line of no thanks i can wait as she only has a couple items to ring up but she again insists that i get in front of her so i thank her and do as she wishes. I paid cash for my items and get around $10 and change back and tell the cashier to apply it to the elderly lady's bill which would probably cover it.

The lady said i didn't have to do that, i told her i wanted to, she thanked me twice as i walked away with a good feeling.
  • ClubFan81077
    3 hours ago
    I love the idea of "paying it forward", but I do it selectively. I might wait until I either encounter someone in a time of need, or it just really seems the right time for an act of kindness. And maybe I kick in an extra $40, and now I've got $80 to give to someone when it might really help them out or brighten their day.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion