tuscl

Meta-Political Discussions

I almost put this in the front room but I know where this will go.

How toxic/adversarial/mud slinging do you find political discussions here compared to the rest of the internet?

I find political discussions here, despite the amount of name calling and accusations of "waah waah you're not a nice person," to be LESS TOXIC than on most political message boards and comment threads here.

You think it's bad? Most other places, everyone is allergic to facts, openly calling for the imprisonment or death of the other side, and even more doxxing.

Does anyone else see this? Or was I just hanging out on the wrong political boards?

29 comments

• Puddy Tat
    a day ago
    Part of it might be that we all share a common interest in strip clubs. Some of these other boards, even comment sections of well-respected newspapers on all sides, have grouchy of men and women that spend most of their days trolling these sites. I guess it's their social outlet rather than playing bridge in the common room at senior living.
  • skibum609
    a day ago
    Better here than on mainstream news.
  • shailynn
    a day ago
    This is a very entertaining board at times. If anything it’s taught me to look at others point of view that I don’t agree with from their side, and in most cases (here more than other places on the internet) people on both sides of the fence offer level headed reasoning for their views.

I don’t have to agree with you, but if you back up your reasoning you make it really hard for me to not respect your viewpoint - which is the way it should be. People need to remember what’s best for them may not be best for the person across the street no matter how ridiculous you think their opinion is.

To answer the OPs question - I feel it’s less toxic than say Facebook, Reddit or Twitter.

Everything I said above does NOT apply to CJ Kent, he’s a moron that you should just ignore.
  • rickmacrodong
    a day ago
    I dont know what reddit and facebook are like now but they were extremely restrictive as far as insults and curse words a few years back. A lot of the other sites are heavily moderated
  • skibum609
    a day ago
    ^ amazing that this homosexual pedophile never shuts up.
  • Manuellabore
    a day ago
    Comparably toxic, which is why I steer clear of both. Nobody ever convinces anybody to change their mind via political discourse over the internet, so what’s the point?
    I value the input of TUSCLers of all political stripes when it comes to our common interests , and, for me, pie-throwing contests over unrelated topics can ruin the esprit de corps. I follow other topic-focused sites on social media (classic movies, history, etc) and am chagrined when somebody comes up with a pretext to slip in a political diatribe. At least Founder has created a separate sandbox for such topics and most people abide by that.
    BTW, I am politically active and have deeply held political beliefs that I try not to reveal when I’m going on about nonsense like inadvertently eating out a dancer on her period.
    I did try to persuade a naturalized Brazilian dancer who has somehow never voted why it was important for her to do so and why I support the candidate I want to win. As we all like to say “Sometimes it only takes one dancer/voter”
  • motorhead
    a day ago
    I’ve been trying to avoid the political discussions. I finally came to the conclusion that no matter what I say, I’m not changing anyone’s mind on a strip club board.

Having said that, I think other boards are more toxic than this group.

Hell, I had a guy DM a death threat to me in a Sports Talk group just because I said “Field of Dreams” was not on my top 5 list of sports movies.

I never had that happen here… oh wait. SJG
  • twentyfive
    a day ago
    Most of the posters here are good guys and I’ve met many, problem here is one or two people who take things too seriously and don’t respect any other POV other than their own.
    The toxicity level here isn’t too bad except for those few.
  • Puddy Tat
    a day ago
    So far about what I expected, except for Skibum's homosexual pedophile comment.

I'm not on Twitter but I imagine that's the worst. Equivalent would be if someone (and I'm not innocent here) cries to Founder to ban everyone who says something they don't like. Though some Leftbook/Rightbook places are pretty horrible too.
  • ggofv
    a day ago
    Politics on here is more tame primarily because we are all on here for the same reason: sexy, scantily clad (or less) women.

Its the interest in getting new information that allows us to overlook differences
  • Puddy Tat
    a day ago
    ^ Though that seems to generate enough fights over who is clubbing the "right way."
  • ggofv
    a day ago
    @ Puddy Tat, if prices keep going up the way the way they are, it won't matter political affiliation. Even a liberal like me can't defend $200 for 15 minutes.
  • twentyfive
    a day ago
    ^ it used to be worse, nowadays there seems to be a bunch of newbies coming on the scene looking for advice.
  • mogul1985
    a day ago
    I think age has something to do to. On X, FB, Reddit, ect they, IMO, tend to be a younger demographic than here. I think we have more historical depth. And, yeah, it does get somewhat rangy at times that just wastes disk space.

I don't follow X/Twitter as it is just so LOUD. I don't watch MSM as it has proven to be way too bias. I don't watch late night shows except I will watch Gutfeld! I get news from various sources that I try to filter with what seems reasonable. I do like the weekly All In Podcast.

Enough of me,

To many people who are deep into politics, it becomes a "belief". Beliefs are incredibly had to alter. I know people who are hardcore leftists that I don't discuss politics with as it like wrestling with pigs in mud - if the girls were naked, sure I'm all in. I don't dump friends because they are extreme liberals unless they become just miserable about it. However, hardcore liberals are more abt to dump people who are conservative as they "believe" they are a threat to "Democracy" and "Women." Real Democracy is mob rule. The MSM wants use to believe the Democrats version is the actual version, only we are a Representative Republic with voting that truly is getting less and less trustworthy. We had way WAY more trust in voting pre-2000/Hanging Chads.

There is one girl, about 7 years younger, I've known for close to like 8 years. And, she went to the Pussy Rally in DC when Trump got elected and all that. We've had this attraction for each other from the first time we met at work on a video conference then in-person at a group meeting; we work remote in different states, she is a Program Manager and I was a technical architect and helped her when she had product issues even if it wasn't in my wheelhouse. This past Spring we were talking (I left Cisco 5 years ago) I mentioned I was a Colorado GOP County and State Delegate as she started to get into how all the good Biden/Harris were doing. She went off on a rant for 30 minutes about Trump. We haven't spoken since. I've reached out 2x and no response, so that's it. The thing was, I was willing to accept her for what her beliefs are, she couldn't handled it. SCJs Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsberg families would vacation and have dinner together yet they are as polar opposites as they come in politics, they respected each other - Echo Chambers are evil. I'm not a fanatic, I'm in-line with Puddy and Gamma. I'm not all touchy feely about politics. I focus on policies that work. And I've listed so many here I won't do it any more.

So, here, we tend to be less diverse as we are a small demographic with a specific interest in strip clubs, likely older in general than other SM outlets demos, and our IDs are hidden.

I've only muted 1 person here as it just got beyond annoying like Roseanne Roseannadanna with a green tongue and gross mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59d-xMv…
  • gammanu95
    a day ago
    I agree with 25, except for those like him who reject any POV other than their own and go out of their way to be toxic, TUSCL isn't all too bad.
  • twentyfive
    a day ago
    weirdos have no self awareness, that's the Dunning-Krueger effect
  • Puddy Tat
    a day ago
    ^ ^^ How did I know this would happen?
  • twentyfive
    a day ago
    ^ Not sure maybe you have ESP LOL !
  • gammanu95
    21 hours ago
    Because 25 could not possibly be more sadly predictable.
  • ilbbaicnl
    21 hours ago
    People with a fascination with violence find it easier to twist conservative/traditionalist ideology into a justification for violence. Unfortunately, this has caused many people to think that all conservatives or traditionalists have a fascination for violence, and to fear all of them.

TUSCL is the only place I participate in discussions any more. I don't start any political threads except to make fun of politicians. But, where there is a fire hose of extremist posting, there's some value to non-extremists chiming in. People can start to feel like they're a weirdo for not being batshit.
  • gammanu95
    20 hours ago
    ^An excellent example of the sort of political statement which everyone should be able to unanimous decry, regardless of party affiliation. There has been at least as much violence by ANTIFA and BLM than with conservative or right-wing ideology. Just be honest without painting the other side as the bad guys. It's small-minded, petty, and only fosters continued disagreement.
  • rickmacrodong
    19 hours ago
    ^conservative violence is more about attacking other countries, protecting the countries own citizens whereas liberal violence is the reverse of that. Youll never see a liberal calling to destroy china or the middle east. But liberals will instead be inclined to attack certain races domestically or attack the rich or people with ideological differences
  • gammanu95
    19 hours ago
    One part of my political philosophy is honesty. I am honest that I did not support Trump at the beginning. I thought his campaign was an ego-driven sideshow. I didn't believe he could or would do all he campaigned on. I was turned off by the he treated women like Megyn Kelly. I hate the way he speaks, I have never sat through an entire campaign speech or state of the union, only his inauguration. Hell, he was not even my first choice this season. However, after candidates I preferred left the race and he democratically won the Republican nomination, I support him as the candidate for the Republican party and most passionately push back against the democrat party selectee (for she never won the nomination). If a liberal or democrat voter were to speak truthfully, he would admit that Trump is not a racist, that the prosecutions are shams and he is wrongfully convicted, that he did not call neo-nazis "fine people" or veterans "losers", and that he is not affiliated with Project 2025. If the liberal could just admit that he does not want tax cuts for employers, that he thinks the US should let the UN lead in the Iran nuclear deal and Paris Accord, that he is against borders and in favor of undocumented immigration, then I could respectfully debate with that liberal. However, if you start your premise with Trump is a bigot, MAGA is evil, and his supporters are all idiots and racists; then you have already assigned a label to me which I will fight back against. I could probably spend hours documenting and correcting all of the lies the leftist media and democrat party have spoken about Trump and his supporters.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I still want America to the Shining City on a Hill. I want government of the people, by the people, and for the people. The American Dream is that you can start as anyone and become anything. You can go as far as you want if you put in the work and male the sacrifice. It is not home ownership and government debit cards. Immigrants should come here to join the melting pot and the American culture, not bring their culture and favor it over ours. Immigrants and citizens should take advantage of a classless society which allows anyone to go anywhere, not expect handouts and entitlements wherever you are and whatever you want.

I want America to be great again. America has fallen. America is not great. We have allowed our culture to be shredded and splintered. We have a ruling class which is not held accountable for their crimes. We do not have equal justice under the law. We have allowed our national security to be outsourced to China, Taiwan, Japan, and Mexico. We have the world's second longest unprotected border with the world's largest failed narco-state. We have allowed uncorrected and unchecked tax and spend deficits for over forty years, and our solution is more Omnibus spending bills and kicking the can down the road. Our mainstream media is little more than the propaganda arm of one party. That same media and our government lie and foment unrest and violence. Social media companies, the digital public square, are manipulated by special interests and the government to suppress the truth and spread lies and misinformation. Gotcha lines, character smears, and pandering have replaced honest debate and open communication. I could go on, but reversing these trends are what I think of when I say Make America Great Again.

Not everyone will agree with all of what I wrote. Some will not agree with anything I wrote. However, I did my best to write it in a fashion which decribed behaviors and not individuals. I did my best to avoid labelling anyone. I hope that we can find it in ourselves to disagree with what I wrote, without being disagreeable.
  • jaybud999
    17 hours ago
    This is the ONLY place I talk my politics, other than with my wife. I prefer nobody knowing anything about my politics in "real" life.

Here, I can openly spout off wherever I want for my own entertainment. Kind of like jerking off in the club and shooting web everywhere.
  • Muddy
    17 hours ago
    One thing it's nice to be able speak openly. I've been banned so many times from places like reddit. If your even mildly conservative you will get downvoted to oblivion and flaming liberal moderator will ban you (they can't for the whole site for that sub reddit yes) for hate speech. Hate speech aka asking questions like "Hey guys how are we gonna pay for all these illegals? I don't think we can afford it"

I've been banned everywhere but here. Sometimes I just can't help myself some things just need to be made fun of. I can actually do it here and curse too it's nice. Not many places on the internet you can do that. Also here you know I mean we disagree of course but the uniter is we are all strip club fans. I liken it to sitting in a strip club, going back and forth with politics while drinking a beer and forgetting all of that shit once you take a chick back to VIP.

• Muddy
    17 hours ago
    I'd still hang with any of you fucks. No hard feelings. But at the same time some things just need to be said. Big picture I just see liberals playing for the crowd on a lot of this stuff. They want to show everyone how virtuous and morally awesome they are. But then the rest of us our stuck paying the bill...every time. Many of us who know what's going down, especially with open borders, emptying prisons. I mean we got a nice thing in America, once you fuck it up, there is no going back. It's gonna real uncomfortable for everyone. I know what the third world is all about, I really do not want to live in it. A lot of conservatives are huge pussies and don't open their mouths, speak up. You gonna let your country go to shit permanently because you don't wanna make waves? Not me.
  • JamesSD
    15 hours ago
    Honestly the political discussion here is horrendous. There are two posters in particular that resort to name calling very quickly. It doesn't help that both view the other side as literally trying to destroy America. Nearly every thread turns into a boring slap fight between them.

This sub is very very light on facts. Overall posters are pretty poorly informed.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 hours ago
    I'm extremely political, but I've no interest in watching or participating in people posting the exact same things at each other nearly every single day. It's an echo chamber on all sides.

If that's fun for others, great. It's not worthwhile for me.
  • Hank Moody
    an hour ago
    There are more hostile places on the internet to discuss politics? Huh.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion