tuscl

Unions

Friday, July 19, 2024 9:58 AM
We saw the Teamsters president Sean O’brien speaking at the RNC. Another sign the GOP trying to wrestle unions from the Dems. Been slowly changing.

Some defintely are going to move over. I always think to myself how are some of these unions still in the bag for democrats when most of there members atleast that I know they are all in for Trump now a days. Construction, Police, Fire, Plumbers, Electricians Al those. It’s kind of weird, seems to be a huge disconnect there.

Some other unions though, yeah not a chance. Teachers, healthcare, safely democrat.

Smart play by the republicans? To me I think so, if the Dems are going open border, that don’t mix well with union labor. The math just don’t work on that. Other things too Dems killing the keystone, going to green energy mandates, there’s an opportunity there.

15 comments

• Muddy
    2 months ago
    My issue with unions is these government unions who are so politically active, putting up candidates, I mean how in that fuck is that legal? Seems like a conflict of interest with the taxpayer
  • Muddy
    2 months ago
    Also your general thoughts on organized labor?
  • motorhead
    2 months ago
    Unions should most definitely be for Trump. Despite what the Washington insiders and east coast elites will tell you - illegal immigration drives down wages. I see it every day down in the weeds. Mom and pop machine shops who supply the auto industry and who employ less than 50 people are often under the radar of ICE. In some locations with heavily Hispanic populations these shops are staffed 100% by illegals. They will work for less than average area wage and demand less benefits. A group of young guys will rent an apartment and put 20 people in there so they live cheaply.

I’m not a union guy, but unions most definitely should protect wage deflation by illegals.
  • Puddy Tat
    2 months ago
    It's basic economics that increase in the supply of labor drives down wages. It says even more that much of the left can't deny this, only shouts "rrraaaccciiissssttt!!!!" over and over.

I like the concept of private sector unions, in a day where corporations try to extract every penny for quarterly profits. We need that counterweight. In practice, however, they've become graft machines.

Public sector unions should be outlawed, full stop. Even FDR said the concept of collective bargaining didn't translate to the public sector. Getting to vote in someone friendly, then bargain with them, is a racket.

Teachers Union head Randi Weingarten is an evil woman. Responsible for a generation of learning loss and child suicide for keeping kids out of the classroom when COVID was never a serious threat to them. In a just world, she'd be facing felony charges.
  • gammanu95
    2 months ago
    Unions are corrupt as hell today. They used to serve a valuable purpose as a counterweight to immoral and abusive employers. In the 21st century, with transparency and information at your fingertips, there is no need for unions to protect the workers and publicize unfair labor practices. Instead, the government works with union leaders to keep unions so the union leaders can lobby their employees to vote for democrat party candidates. It's a complete racket. Randi Weingarten is a great example of how corrupt and self-seving union leaders are today.
  • Studme53
    2 months ago
    I work with union leaders every day. I was surprised when a union local president, who represents hundreds of mechanics and machinists in the Northeast, unbuttoned his dress shirt while we were in my office and showed me and a colleague the “Fuck Biden” t-shirt he was wearing underneath. I didn’t engage because I don’t do politics in work, but he just said he was a life-long Democrat who couldn’t take it anymore.
    The police unions have always supported pro-law enforcement Republicans.
  • Studme53
    2 months ago
    ^Now I remember- the union leader was pissed off Biden came into office and immediately killed a huge pipeline project.
  • amazinghex
    2 months ago
    The only unions the GOP likes are police unions. Any other union members would be silly to vote for them.
  • Studme53
    2 months ago
    Smart union leaders know the industry their members work in has to be strong and profitable. Government money, like giant taxpayer funded infrastructure grants, are a drop in the bucket compared to the value of the energy and manufacturing industries. If you try to interfere with them with a “green agenda” or too high a corporate tax (motivating a move off-shore) you’re hurting union workers. They may not be college professors, but union leaders and their rank and file are not stupid.
  • Book Guy
    2 months ago
    I am a "Progressive" (Left Wing) voter. But I agree, working-class Americans have been much better woo'ed and won by the current Republican party than by the current Democrat party. I would want, in my ideal world, that the Democrats did both (a) a better job at fulfilling the needs of working-class Americans and (b) a better job at advertising that they have done so. Currently they don't.

In theory, it's upside-down. In theory, the Republican party, whose platform claims to be working towards (among other things) small government and for private-property rights, should essentially privilege capital (business and ownership) interests over labor interests. In theory, the Democrat party, whose platform claims to be working (among other things) via large government towards restrictions on business, should essentially privilege labor interests over capital interests.

Neither party is playing by those theories. Social conservatism, the woke-versus-antiwoke divide, and so on, mean that the Republican party rightly gains the support of many working-class citizens. They'd be unhappy, in the Democrat theory, if some of their social-welfare checks went away and their employers were more and more free to extort greater work for lesser remuneration from them. In theory, to that pitfall the Republican would argue, that a "rising tide lifts all ships" and therefore if the businesses are benefiting then the workers will see that benefit in better wages and working conditions. In theory.

I vote Left with much chagrin. I am profoundly disappointed in the way that the Democrat party has abandoned the Labor movement and working-class interests in favor of the "elite" cadre of insider policy-makers. I understand why labor leaders see the Republican party as a better choice for themselves right now.

What accounts for the change? Historically, when did it come about? Who's to blame for the Democrats losing Big Labor? Or can you just credit long-term Republican strategy and intelligent cultivation of their base?
  • motorhead
    2 months ago
    Look what the unions did to Detroit.

At least it resulted it good strip clubs.

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/awogL5E…
  • Mate27
    2 months ago
    Fire unions have always been pro democrat. Their policies are good for their profession, just like teachers unions.
  • skibum609
    a month ago
    Unlike teachers firefighters do their jobs.
  • gammanu95
    a month ago
    The unions did the same thing to Chicago, and their strip clubs suck
  • Hank Moody
    a month ago
    Unions are a disruption to free market labor. They add unnecessary cost and in my experience with them, the union reps during negotiation of their CBA’s will put their own personal interests ahead of their members. My company has used that self interest against them to get the deal we needed but management knows the union leader screwed over their constituents. Those constituents are my company’s employees whether they are union or not, but it’s pathetic to see.

Private sector (non govt) union participation was 23.4% in 1974. It fell steadily for 50 years and is now at 6%. Biden tried to be pro union with his majority of the NLRB. He’s made it much easier to organize with relaxed voting requirements and easier dues collection. He also walked the picket line when the UAW was on strike. Unions added 200k members last year but participation is still 6%.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion