tuscl

Do teachers get paid enough?

Thursday, June 15, 2023 10:59 PM
Probably the answer depends where and how much we talking. Yeah I get that. Look I'm going to start by saying if your teaching in the hood, and actually attempting to do your job, God bless you take the money, you earned it. Hazard pay. I believe one stat a few years ago was 4 teachers are physically assaulted in Baltimore schools every school day. Now with all that being said, I was recently talking to a buddy in education. He's telling me all these days he gets off. All these bullshit religious holidays every month there's atleast one or two, labor day, a week for Christmas break, a week for winter break, a week for spring break. This monday is Juneteeth that is now an off day. And then a full summer off. I don't know if people realize in the real world, you are slaving EVERY DAY, weekends just catch up on sleep, and in some jobs you don't get any paid days off, you get money when you make money. That's it. No vacation, no nothing. Your just grinding away. And then on top of that we're teaching these little kids all about race, gender and sex stuff? How do you even have time to do any of that? No, These kids need to get there asses BACK to school and these little fuck stains need to learn some FUCKING MATH for once. And these teachers need join them. What a scam for the tax payer this bullshit is.

29 comments

• bang69
    a year ago
    No they don't!!!!!!!!
  • mark94
    a year ago
    Most teacher pay is based on years on the job and degree level, not on how well they do their job. That’s how the union likes it. So, some teachers are overpaid and some underpaid. Overall, the structure of the performance and pay system stinks.
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    You decide [view link]
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    Yeah watching hot for teacher makes me realize I never had a proper education growing up. And btw most of my teachers looked and sounded like Roseanne Barr
  • Mate27
    a year ago
    Way underpaid. One if the reasons why quality teachers leave the fields in droves when they can work in another industry for more $$ and less hassle. Whenever somebody points out all the time off, they need to be reminded that during their “time off” they’re working second jobs just maintain a liveable wage, and keep in mind there is continuing education development and lesson plans during their “time off” that is necessary just to keep up witt the adjusters tone aspects. Summer time every teacher works another job, and most take up extra curricular activities at school. Other cultures pay they’d teachers let viable wages and have quality long term employees. Some public schools in affluent areas have liveable wages, but not in lower socioeconomic areas. You get what you pay for, and that isn’t much I’m low income areas.
  • shailynn
    a year ago
    After COVID teachers left in droves. Many retired and not enough new ones to take their places. In my area 10 years ago it took a teacher subbing for 1-2 years before they could get on full time. Today there’s tons of openings at most of the schools. Can’t blame them, if you’re young and going to college or a professional school, I think you’re a fool if you’re not getting some sort of computer science, engineering or healthcare degree or learning some sort of trade (electrician for example). The local university doesn’t even offer a basic 4 year teaching degree anymore, only advanced education degrees. As for pay some teachers are paid well in certain parts of the county. Other parts they are paid very poorly. They are typically paid better in blue states but not always the case, some red states pay better than blue. Some districts in PA and NJ pay the best in the country when cost of living is averaged in.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    My mother was a public school teacher, babysitting little snotnose 4th graders. She retired 10 years ago and died 3 years later. Anyway, she was making over $100K and retired at about $45K lifetime retirement salary plus fully paid health insurance. It's a shame she didn't live longer to suck more blood out of the taxpayers.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    If my dad had outlived her (he didn't) he would have been covered 100% with healthcare for life.
  • dannyboy3
    a year ago
    10 years ago, I would have said underpaid. Now, and I work closely with multiple schools systems, I'd say about 80% are overpaid. An Ed degree is only slightly harder than a gender studies degree, the students have the lowest Sat in most colleges AND the highest GPA. About 1/2 their coursework is useless indoctrination. In the classroom, many are just marking time and don't care about kids at all. Perhaps as much as 50% are that way. Now, after covid and how they and the union left millions of kids to rot while they "worked" from home, screw 'em.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    They get paid FAR TOO MUCH. One of the biggest over-repeated bizarre lies is that "teachers don't make good money." What is this even based on? Its like its been repeated so much people actually start to believe it. How exactly? How much should they actually make for working 9 months of the year and going home at 2:30? Nobody ever actually asks that. They have been crying poverty since I was in elementary school in the 1970s!!! That was what 20 pay increases ago? Enough is enough, thry are OVER PAID. Frankly thd public schools should be ABOLISHED but tests anither subject entirely. They are well compensated by any reasonable measure already.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Peoplw who have been making this claim for the past 30 or so teacher pay increases never say how much is fair. How much should they make and why? Stop with the vague statements.
  • Dave_Anderson
    a year ago
    Don't get me wrong I would rather die than face rooms full of 8th graders all day but thsts simply my personality. I wouldn't want to be a dental hygienist or work in a slaughter house either. Some people love those jobs. The issue is how are they "underpaid" based on reason and logic? Maybe 50 years ago but that was 40 paid increases ago.
  • nicespice
    a year ago
    If anybody thinks r/stripper is bad, r/teachers is depressing. If I was a parent, I’d be strongly considering homeschooling. But that being said, there is a smaller subreddit called r/teaching that isn’t quite so bad. There are educators and districts out there doing the best they can. I’m not going to claim that teaching, or heck most jobs in general, are overpaid because of a cost of living clusterfuck for most people. Right wingers have a weird excess demonizing for the public facing teachers instead of those who actually set curriculum standards. Left wingers have a weird excess demonizing for the public facing police instead of those who actually set law enforcement priorities. 👍
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    Muddy, apparently YOU’RE teachers got paid too much because they didn’t teach you shit about English. 😂 “Look I'm going to start by saying if your teaching in the hood…”
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    nice spice got it right in her second paragraph, but college professors are mostly over paid, the majority of teachers are well intentioned, proble here is the ranking system used for teaching reward’s length of service rather than quality of work.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    There are different reasons that someone might become a teacher - They want to help others - They want to be admired - They want to be in control - They aren’t bright enough for other jobs I’d like to pay teachers enough, a living wage for a family, so that we could fill all teaching positions with the first category and get rid of the rest.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    Judging by the substandard education 90% of the children in public schools in this country receive I believe teachers are grossly overpaid and not including what many earn in summer employment as part of all of it creates a false impression. Before the whining commences, I was raised by an MTA public school teacher and feel it's sad to see what unionized public teachers do nowadays.
  • minnow
    a year ago
    Interesting: Not one single poster has given any indication that they've been a teacher (public or private) K-12. Has any poster served on a school board or school district administration ? Has poster taken part in negotiations with teacher unions (on either side of the table), or have a pdf copy of cross section of school district pay scales ? Apparently, having more advanced degrees would result in higher pay for a given position. What is percentage pay raise for each additional year of experience, and is there a cap on number of years credit ? How portable is years teacher experience ? ( If teacher with 10 yrs. in District B want to move to higher paying District A, would they be on the 10 yr scale there, or would they have to start over at the bottom scale there?) I have some "thoughts" on the subject, but I'm reluctant to post because I haven't walked in the teacher's (or administrators) shoes. I confess some degree of ignorance on the subject (google search on school teachers salaries doesn't adequately answer my questions). The ultimate test for the question is 1) What is the teacher turnover rate ? (What would be a "good" or "bad" turnover) 2) Are open positions getting filled ? (Enough qualified interested applicants for position, enough college students pursuing a teacher career) 3) How long is average teacher staying in position ? Of course there are additional questions about "results" ( test proficiency scores, percentage that graduate, percentage that go on to get a degree, etc.) Until someone can show me the data, I'll just laugh at your posts.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    ^ My how utterly inane, yet pompous. Very Progressive.
  • drewcareypnw
    a year ago
    The teachers in the seattle public schools my kids go to are (for the most part) great. They teach because of one or more of: they love kids, they care about education, they want to make the city/country/world a better place. Almost universally, they can’t deal with adults but can totally deal with kids. So in a way they are lucky the job exists, bc these people would sink in most corporate jobs. I don’t really know what sps would be like if we paid 4th grade teachers the $200k+ most tech workers are making here. Maybe a bunch of greedy shits would become teachers and be bad at it. Maybe the positions would be super competitive and attract world class talent. The world will never know.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    @drew, all the teachers I know (and pediatricians, or anyone who deals with kids) say most of the kids are sweet--it's the parents who are fuckups. Particularly kids with disabilities. The sped teachers and developmental pediatricians say half these kids should get taken away. I'm split on the overall issue of teacher pay. On one hand, some of the worst districts in the country spend the most per student, yet always demand more more more down the money pit. On the other hand, better pay does attract better people across fields. Teaching is certainly a central determinant in what society will look like in 20-30 years.
  • drewcareypnw
    a year ago
    @tetra: I agree the other parents are the worst element of sending your kids to school. There are some kids that suck completely, but when you see the parents you can see where it comes from.
  • nicespice
    a year ago
    Bwahahahaaha Minnow seems to be implying he has worked in the K-12 system at some point. I can totally see that, with Minnow doing his part of emulate the bad stereotypes that has led to teachers’ image problem today. 😂 Probably some massive teacher favoritism, where the ones who were not part of his favored circle rebuked and nitpicked horribly. Probably convinced himself and got an ego boost from deciding that female students totally want him. Judging by a couple of threads/comments, black students probably never made it into his circle of favorites. Definitely using some power over students as a way to overcompensate for his insecurities, except his job couldn’t satisfy the power trip completely. So he occasionally continues the overcompensation at titty bars and milking the single lapdances as much as he can. Or, logging into tuscl and meeting power trip needs on people’s reviews.
  • docsavage
    a year ago
    My mother was an elementary school teacher for thirty years. After she retired, she didn't even want to be around children. Imagine spending all day, day after day, year after year, in a room full of children. Even if you like kids, that would be hard to take after a while. Even one or two kids can drive a parent crazy. Imagine having twenty-five to deal with.
  • SanchoRG
    a year ago
    How much would a 14 year old girl get paid to babysit 30 kids for 6 hours?
  • captainfun
    a year ago
    I’ve interacted with many teachers over the past 15+ years in a good school district. For the most part they are decent quality people with good attitudes. But….the idealistic bright eyes that some enter the profession with does get understandably tainted in some over time. I recently overheard a couple mid 40s female teachers bitching about their pay increases and all the new demands the school district is placing on them. They sounded dim witted, jaded and petty - not a great look. Decent people I suspect but they are salty with the system for whatever reason. Ladies, you picked the profession.
  • minnow
    a year ago
    "Reluctant to post because I haven't walked in a teacher's shoes " N-spice, what is it about that quote midway through my post that implies that I've been a K-12 teacher ? You ASS-ume too much about me, all wrong. How does posing questions about data points that should be answered prior to opining on whether teachers are over/under paid going on a power trip ? You need to brush up on your basic comprehension skills, n-spice. Were you high or sober when you posted, skibum ? Wtf about my post is progressive ? Pompous ? How would you like someone mouthing off about lawyers being overpaid without offering supporting data ? Nowhere did I opine that teachers should be this or that. I merely questioned the lack of reliable reference datums to make a statement. Turnover rate in present positions, and number of new people coming into teaching positions are a good, if not flawless datum for whether teachers are overpaid or underpaid. If a combination of high turnover and insufficient new blood in the pipeline exists, maybe teachers are underpaid. Vice versa on turnover and new applicants, overpaid. Also don't just look at salary- consider benefits, additional duties, etc. outside of normal school hours. Really now, some teachers are overpaid, some underpaid depending upon several factors. I'm not aware of any "pay for performance" (higher student test scores, graduation rates, etc.) for teachers. Maybe in some private school. I agree that good teachers are worth their rate in gold for long term effect on students lives, and that there are mediocre teachers who have been in their position for too long at the higher seniority/tenure based pay brackets. This threads argument will never be settled, hope OP Muddy is entertained.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    Based on the free market and supply and demand, teacher salaries probably need to increase. Too many are leaving the profession and not enough young people are going into it.
  • Jdo11
    a year ago
    Not at all. I deal with cunty kids with equally cunty parents that have zero discipline and repercussion for their actions at school. You couldn't pay me enough to consider stepping foot in a school. Private schools are probably better, but I wouldn't doubt there's not some creepy under the table grooming going on in such tightly knit circles of wealthy folk.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion