tuscl

If you had to start over again, where would you live?

No attachments, no friends, family, jobs and various other commitments tying you down. Would you be somewhere different? Not saying monger related necessarily (although I’m sure that might play a role) but more just in general.

28 comments

• mike710
    a year ago
    I live in San Diego and, so far anyway, it's still not terribly hit by the rest of the crazy shit in the rest of California. So, it's still a great place. However, stupid stuff going on at the state level will probably prompt me to seek a second residence in the near future. I will still keep my little piece of paradise, however.
  • georgmicrodong
    a year ago
    I would probably go back to Western NY, or Northeastern PA.
  • WiseToo
    a year ago
    I most definitely would live in Carlsbad, Calif. in a house that overlooks the Pacific Ocean with private beach rights and has a detached two car garage with workshop which is in addition to the garage attached to the house. Yes, such a property exists and I had the opportunity to purchase it years ago for a very reasonable affordable price, but couldn't because of family obligations. I still have the realtor's flyer and can only dream of what could have been.

By the way, there was a club near San Diego (Dancers or Pacers?) which required a membership for entrance. I was allowed in without a membership because I lived out of state. The seating was theatre or stadium style and after finishing her set the stripper would walk around to each PL seated and collect a tip. Touching was absolutely forbidden. I thought the club sucked.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    It depends on how much money I had and whether I needed to work. If I was young with ample funds, I’d probably travel the world spending a month or two in each city. London. Sydney. Bangkok. Barcelona. Bali. Honolulu…..
  • mark94
    a year ago
    There are still affordable small beach communities around the US and around the world. Just not in Southern California.
  • dickdecker
    a year ago
    I’ve thought of this….. Miami or L.A. But that was 40 years ago…. Don’t think I would still be there now.
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    I guess some variables to consider first…

Do I already have plenty of cash?
    Do I need to live somewhere where I can get a job?

If I have money and no job, then maybe San Diego? Or Whitehall, Montana in the summer and Sarasota FL in the winter
  • Huntsman
    a year ago
    I would pick Texas, I think, and keep a Minnesota place for the nicer months.
  • Huntsman
    a year ago
    Idaho would get a lot of consideration too. Elk hunting and trout fishing.
  • nicespice
    a year ago
    If there is really no attachments, whether it’s a job, other people, or any personal hobbies/interests, then I’d be a complete nomad. If I was male (and didn’t have titty bars as an option) then maybe as an owner-operator truck driver.
  • shailynn
    a year ago
    The older I get - somewhere deep in the Midwest sounds nice - boring - like Kansas. Like if the world ended it will take the end of the world another 4 years to get where I lived.

A house in the middle of nowhere sounds better than an apartment in the middle of a bustling city.

If you asked 30 year old me - I’d stay somewhere on the gulf coast if Florida.
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    You know I agree with the San Diego area, if I had a Time Machine there would be no question where I’d be, right there. I still love Southern California, physically it’s my favorite in all the US but it’s tough to be bullish on California right now with its politics, gas was $7 lastI was there, emptying out prisons, taxing the shit out of everyone, letting criminals do whatever the fuck. So maybe just visit alot but hard to live maybe.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    I'd want a few thousand acres in the Midwest somewhere. My own private shooting range. Maybe some horses. Not for riding though, I'd just take care of them and watch them enjoy lots of wide open space.

I don't want to see or hear any neighbors, but I don't want to be totally isolated either. I'd need internet so I can stay in touch with all you TUSCL pervs, and maybe an hour drive to some kind of decent town.

If I had real F.U. money, I'd buy a big ass dump truck, a backhoe and a bulldozer so I could play trucks for real.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    It's those ties--family, friends, jobs--that make a place feel like home or not.

For a relatively young person in my field, I like the seasons in Boston, the smart, young, and constantly turning-over population. Jobs in my field. Living in the nearer burbs gives me the ability to get into or out of the city quickly. Only downsides are the cost of living, and it seems people here hibernate in the winter.

A few years ago I might have said San Diego, but Cali looks fucked on so many levels right now. Or Austin, but it's becoming Southeast San Francisco. Or Atlanta, which seems to be growing too quickly for its own good.
  • RiskA
    a year ago
    I will get the hell out of CA as soon as possible, too expensive & a fucked up nanny state. And now reparations? LOL. The places I’d like to live for activities & beauty, like south VA or NC, are unfortunately weak in the strip club dept. Guess I’d have to change my sex workers of preference.
  • mike710
    a year ago
    @Muddy. I own my place outright here now so that is why I won't get rid of it anytime soon. To come in now, I wouldn't do it with where the rest of CA is going.

Still, it's not a total shitshow like SF or LA, yet. I'll be spending some time here for the rest of my life I would guess. It's too nice of a place not to. I just don't want to live here as a resident of CA anymore. It's CA and it's policies that will drive me out, not San Diego.
  • shadowcat
    a year ago
    I was born in Long Beach CA and lived there and Orange County for the first 45 years of my life and I thought it was great. I always thought that Santa Barbara was the place that I would have loved to be able to live. I've been in a suburb of Atlanta since 1987 and have no desire to move back to CA.
  • docsavage
    a year ago
    It would depend on whether I had a lot of money or not much. If I wasn't rich, I would stay here in Indiana. The cost of living is low, it is a fairly conservative state and I like the change of seasons.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    I grew up in NYC and on Long Island, had a fantastic childhood and at the time was the best place in the world, I now live in South Florida which is where I chose to move to because I was hating the cold weather, Florida was and in many ways still is a paradise to me, I can travel anywhere easily the weather is beautiful 95% of the time and I have been blessed with wonderful friends and family all being nearby. There are some amazing places in the world that I’ve visited among them Europe I love the Costa Del Sol, Mexico has some amazing beaches on the west coast and South eastern Mexico is a fantastic destination. Central and South America have some great destinations Brazil was a super easy place to visit and if you’re looking to see more of the world I too want to check out Australia, but in the end I don’t think I’ll ever leave Florida except to visit, because I live a good life here.
  • skibum609
    a year ago
    I would live in Bozeman Montana.
  • Jascoi
    a year ago
    it wasn't for the politics... California is nice. I moved away from cali in 1974.
    second choice would be Prescott, Arizona downtown area.
  • boomer79
    a year ago
    Needing to work would add a lot of considerations but to live I’d probably choose Barcelona.
  • JamesSD
    a year ago
    If I could afford it I would definitely want to live on Maui half of the time.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    ^^ You could be neighbors with Willie Nelson, except that he don't allow no faggots on his street.
  • loper
    a year ago
    The healthiest I've ever felt was when I was in Greece -- something about the diet I think. It's also spectacularly beautiful. I agree with Tetradon, though. I've lived in Boston so long now that it would be difficult to break the connections I have there.
  • sfrsox
    a year ago
    Ixtapa, Buenos Aires, La Jolla, or Barcelona
  • bang69
    a year ago
    Out west becuase I love hunting. Or Atlanta GA.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    I have thought about this question a lot. It feels like every place requires a sucky compromise. In Chicago for the culture (zoos, museums, shows) and weather but fucked by the taxes and politics. In Florida for conservative politics, the lack of taxes, and
    the coastal culture but fucked by the hot weather, population, old farts, and hurricanes. California for the mild temperatures, scenic views and food, but fucked by the traffic, taxes, and politics. In West Virginia for the rural life, hilly roads, low population density but fucked by a lack of culture and infrastructure. I really don't have an answer to that question. I am making a shit ton of money and living my best life here in Florida, so here I am.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion