tuscl

Tales from the dark side

Saturday, February 9, 2008 8:29 PM
A cautionary tale. Details have been changed or omitted to protect the guilty. I met a dancer at a bar who was really hot and also really sweet. Good looking, smart, a good conversationalist. She was a grad student part time, and dancing to help pay her way through school. She lived by herself, locally, and seemed very level headed. Really pretty, but in an innocent, not super slutty way. We talked a lot, she never really pressed me for anything. Our LDs were pretty innocent too, lots of making out, but no sex. I really liked her. I let her have my number and email, but never pressed her to call, and she never gave me her number. Then eventually she emailed me, and asked me to see her at the club. Then she eventually asked me to see her OTC. After a while, though, I started to get a little concerned. Some of her stories weren't making sense or matching up. Her email address allowed me to figure out her actual name, and being a cautious guy, I looked her up using an internet seach engine. It checked in some sense -- there was someone with the right name in the right area, and some details matched. But other details did not match. Certain relatives she talked about didn't exist. Her age was off by 3 years -- not a lot, but given how significant her age was at certain points of her "life story," the fact that that detail didn't match was troubling. Then she called me with a mini "crisis" and wanted my help. I obliged, and it was not a big deal, and the problem was easily resolved. She asked and I agreed to go out to dinner, and we had a very nice evening together. No sex, just a pleasant dinner. Again, as we talked more and more things didn't make sense, she seemed to have a real problem handling her money in particular, though she put all that down to the cost of attending grad school. Still, in person she continued to seem normal, sensible, level headed. But I had an underlying sense of unease. She was clearly lying about certain things, even stupid things, but why? Then I started getting a series of text messages from her. Saying her boyfriend found out about her calls to me, was really upset, was kicking her out, she was going to be homeless, etc. I try to find out the problem, to no avail. Then the boyfriend starts texting me, saying he is going to beat her, etc. I explain, truthfully, that I had not done anything sexual with her, had no designs on her. Finally, the boyfriend calls me and we talk directly. According to him, he is not her boyfriend, but her husband. He knows she's a dancer, so I explain what happened, that I had only helped her out in a jam, we hadn't done anything, not even in the club (which was true). But it turns out the real problem is this. She's a major junkie, and was in the hospital on an overdose. That's why she can't handle her money. That's why he found out about the phone calls -- because he looked at her phone when she was in the hospital. Who the hell knows, of course, where the truth lies in all this? Suffice to say, I am feeling lucky I had not done anything further than go out to dinner with her. I am sure I am not out of the woods on this yet, I will probably be the recipient of more weird messages or calls. But at least I know the general nature of the problem I am dealing with, and what I need to do to avoid any greater entanglement. No big moral to the story. Obviously, desperate people will do and say desperate things. But certainly when your flags are raised and your BS detector is dinging, it is probably a good idea to trust your instincts and proceed with caution.

6 comments

• shadowcat
    16 years ago
    There are a lot of stories out there about the same kind of things. I got an Email from one of my strip club buddies today. He has been fucking around with a bipolar stripper for 2 years.He says that it is now over. She has threatened him. Wife etc. I responded with "I TOLD YOU SO". Is bipolar just an excuse that strippers use? I wonder?
  • chitownlawyer
    16 years ago
    About three months ago, a stripper asked me to go to dinner with her, with the prospect of dessert afterward, w/o pay. I turned her down because she violated my rule that I won't go to a restaurant unless the food is better than what I can get at home. However, even if she had passed that test, I would have turned her down because she told me that she has bipolar disorder. I only saw "Fatal Attraction" once, but it made an impression.
  • harrydave
    16 years ago
    On the flip side, my GF works in a club in Phoenix, and she had customer come in one day, spend about $200 on her, talk a lot, etc. She thinks nothing of it. She tells him a little about her schedule. Her next work day he is back in the club. He has a shopping bag with about $100 worth of gifts, all appropriate for her interests based on the previous conversation. He gets more dances, spends another $200. She brings home the gifts and tells me about it. In the meantime, it turns out she gave him her email address. He starts sending messages. She starts telling him she can't accept so many gifts. His emails escalate into name calling. He opens multiple email accounts and sends emails from them. I author an email that basically tells him to go away. He sends an email that includes some replies from a friend who is asking how he has been. I email the friend and say I am concerned this guy may be obsessive, or a stalker, etc. The friend replies that the guy is bipolar and tends to have these manic phases. I reply, maybe it is time to reign him in, 'cause he's gonna go broke in no time and he is scaring my GF. We figure out his address and drop the bag of gifts on his doorstep. He goes quiet. One year later he shows up at the club again, but he doesn't recognize my GF. She steers clear of the lttle bipolar maniac.
  • mmdv26
    16 years ago
    I suspect that the percentage of those who suffer from any form of mental illness (including eating disorders)is significantly higher in the SC industry than that of the general population. The customer base certainly contributes to that imbalance. What an enjoyable way to be a little bit crazy!
  • yndy
    16 years ago
    njscfan- thanx for your story. maybe they are rare, but worrying about things like this (or worse) has kept me (so far) from pursuing the OTC encounters i've been offered.
  • FONDL
    16 years ago
    My ATF was once diagnosed as bipolar. This quack had her on all kinds of medication for it, but it was really the illegal drugs (mostly pot) she was taking on a regular basis that was causing the problem. Once she got off the illegal drugs and stopped taking the medication she was fine - no sign of bipolar disorder whatever. I'm guessing that a lot of drug addicts, and you see lots of them in clubs, are mis-diagnosed as bipolar. And a lot of these drug addicts are going to tell you all sorts of stories - drugs and honesty rarely go together. And drug addicts are extremely clever at hiding their addiction, there's no way you can tell unless they're really bad.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion