tuscl

Anyone from Ohio ?

mark94
Arizona
Tuesday, February 14, 2023 4:57 PM
The 14 rail cars that derailed then were apparently intentionally set on fire ( details are very sketchy ) contained toxic chemicals that have covered the state, killing animals a hundred miles away and poisoning the Ohio River, which flows through 14% of our nation. Can anyone from Ohio shed light on this ? The government isn’t talking and the media is barely covering.

54 comments

• Lone_Wolf
    a year ago
    Bizarre this isn't getting more coverage
  • TheSingularity
    a year ago
    This could well be our Chernobyl. Hope all Ohioans here are safe
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    I live in Ohio but 250 miles from the derailment. It’s being covered but not to the extent as perhaps it should be. East Palestine is a poor, white trash, rust belt town. Not the type of place CNN and MSNBC can use to exploit their agenda
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    Meanwhile, our transportation secretary is complaining that too many white people have construction jobs.
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    Ok I live a little over 100 miles away NW of that derailment, thankfully upwind not downwind. It's received massive coverage in the Cleveland market news reports that I've seen from the moment it started up until around 24 hours ago where the coverage has dropped some. Now I haven't been following closely so I'm sure I'm not up on everything happening but I have not heard anything about animals dying 100 miles away or Chernobyl comparisons. No doubt there were very deadly chemicals on that train that doubtless will affect the surrounding area but how far it actually extends and all of the actual effects will likely take months, maybe years to decipher long term effects. As for the fire being intentionally set, if you mean sabotage I sort of doubt it. A day after it happened I saw a video picked up by a doorbell camera a couple miles up the line that showed flames coming from a rail car's wheels on fire as it passed by. Bad/stuck wheel bearings which led to the derailment and ensuing fire? Possibly. Now I'm not clear on if they actually purposely burnt the chemicals as they released them to prevent explosions. Also I'm not well versed on hazardous effects but it makes sense to me that a slow controlled release is better than multiple uncontrolled explosions. With the train on fire and the deadly chemicals in danger of exploding, 'officials' decided to start a slow release of the chemicals into the air to prevent an uncontrolled explosion. If they actually increased the fire I do not know. That's all I recall at this moment.
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    Ok, just broadcast now at 4pm est. Our doofus RHINO governor update and new video of the train going past an industrial area 45 minutes before the actual derailment. [view link]
  • mark94
    a year ago
    Thanks for the info
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    A tin foil hat will protect you. Sieg Heil zelensky
  • etsutwigg222
    a year ago
    Poor, white neighborhood is all you need to as to why minimum media coverage & lack of action by the Feds.
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    Yeah that area is basically out in the sticks near the border with Pennsylvania. One thing I predict, a few years from now there will be an uptick in cancer cases in the immediate area.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    ^^ Mainstream media won't care or report on it because that area voted 70% for Trump, so if they die they die.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    My understanding is the authorities decided to release the chemicals from the tanker to prevent an explosion ( smart ), then decided to set it on fire ( incredibly stupid ). The decision was made by Governor DeWine, who doesn’t have the authority or the expertise. Anyway, that’s the word I’m hearing.
  • SanchoRG
    a year ago
    Thank you Trump for all those railroad regulation rollbacks. Thank you 'Union Joe' Biden for your role in busting the railroad strike. Our leaders have hung us out to dry for the last half decade at least.
  • SanchoRG
    a year ago
    Oops meant to write last half century
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    The lack of federal transparency or response is typical. This admin tries to ignore things until they are forced to address them, which they then do in the worst possible fashion. Fair and balanced: some conservative talking heads want to run in the far opposite direction and make this all the democrat party's fault. That's not intellectually honest. Bottom line: the ramifications for the entire Ohio River watershed of more frightening than can be put into words. We need immediate action to rectify and prevent further ecological and environmwntal damage toban already threatened ecosystem. Blame and mitigation of recurrence must come later.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    President Biden was panned for a tweet Tuesday promising that climate investments will ensure "our kids will breathe cleaner air" as his administration’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is under fire for its handling of the Ohio train derailment and health concerns over toxic chemicals are mounting.  Because of our climate investments, our kids will breathe cleaner air, drink safer water, and get to school powered by clean energy," Biden tweeted Tuesday morning. The president added, "That’s the future we’re building," tapping EPA Administrator Michael Regan, "let’s finish the job." 
  • mark94
    a year ago
    Cash Patel, former Defense Department Chief of Staff, believes the spate of train derailments is linked to Chinese Cyber attacks.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    The decision to burn the chemicals released Phosgene gas into the atmosphere and water. Phosgene is extremely poisonous and was used as a chemical weapon during World War I, where it was responsible for 85,000 deaths. It is a highly potent pulmonary irritant and quickly filled enemy trenches due to it being a heavy gas.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    In 2022, there were 1,044 instances of trains coming off their tracks.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    “It is a highly potent pulmonary irritant and quickly filled enemy trenches due to it being a heavy gas.“ I’m not a scientist (and guess many posting here are also not) but is this maybe why the correct protocol is to release it under control and burn it? Nobody has died yet from the gas, right?
  • mark94
    a year ago
    The burn released it into the atmosphere. The correct procedure would have been to put it into another storage container, then chemically break it down at another location.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    However, burning it was a much faster procedure allowing the tracks to open. Reportedly, the railroad pressured DeWine for this solution.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    Is that opinion or fact, and was moving it possible? Also, train derailments by year: 2019 - 1242 2020 - 1013 2021 - 1002 2022 - 1044 [view link]
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    'The correct procedure would have been to put it into another storage container, then chemically break it down at another location.' Maybe under perfect conditions? I'm not privy to the discussions regarding what to do with that mess but the 'official' reasoning was that they were working against time to prevent an impending explosion and chose the best course of action for the conditions. Disclaimer: When it comes to governments and corporations rushing to cover their asses and save money I'm pretty skeptical regarding what they say/do but until actual evidence presents itself I can only go by what I see.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    This is one of the most hypocritical threads on here. Racist right wing bigots who oppose environmental protections whining about the environment and claiming institutional racism just to have something to whine about 🤡🤡😭😭😭😂😂
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    ^ Doubtless you are an expert on being hypocritical dougee, it's also doubtless that you can't actually perceive it, lulz
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ Why should anyone care what the pimping, pandering, woman-beating, drug-addicting, stealing degenerate has to say about anything? He really thinks leftist politics absolve him from being a scumbag.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    Who set the fire ? Finger pointing begins [view link]
  • wld4tatas
    a year ago
    >The correct procedure would have been to put it into another storage container, then chemically break it down at another location. In the context of this specific incident and the associated risks... says who ?
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    If anyone ever watched the movie “Unstoppable” with Denzel, which ironically takes place in Pennsylvania in the broadly speaking vicinity, railroads don’t always make wise decisions
  • wld4tatas
    a year ago
    Remember, with these types of accidents companies are going to be highly motivated by limiting legal liability, not just resuming business as usual.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    Wait for a generation of Ohio strippers with 4 nipples 😂 The crash shouldn't have happened its due to poor regulations and negligence. But fuck the people. Corporations are saving money and increasing their profit margins. We should be happy right??? That's the mantra on here with everything else except for hookers. They have to stay cheap. And wild4tatas you're a fucking retarded steeple with no brain of your own. You just repeat whatever that senile biden bitch and his sycophants rant
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    Sheeple not steeple lulz
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    ^ dougster not icey lulz
  • dustyj
    a year ago
    There are some massive losers on here! What is some of the Republican agenda? Trump allowed for massive tax breaks to billionaires and not coincidentally our national debt has gone way up since. Oppose reducing the cost of insulin and being able to negotiate the price of prescription drugs. Try to get rid of social security and Medicare. Oppose anything that would better the environment. Start culture wars about irrelevant shit like books and drag shows. The Republican Party is bought and bribed by the oil companies, big pharma, the NRA etc. If you think the Republican party actually represents the people of this country over their own selfish greedy interests you really just aren't paying attention.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    Trump was bad. He's been out of office 2 years. Biden is more of the same. Just more senile
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    Biden started a proxy war against Russia. Ignores inflation. Won't act on the rent price crisis. The food price crisis. Would rather fund zelensky than the American people.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    If biden really gave a fuck about the environment this would be all over the news and he'd be on top of it. Use it to spur better regulations. But just like any real problem the senile bitch ignores it and yhe sycophantic press follows
  • mark94
    a year ago
    The government told you there were WMDs in Iraq. The government told you that if you liked your plan, you could keep your plan. The government told you Trump would cause WW3. The government told you Trump was a Russian asset. The government told you 2 weeks to flatten the curve. The government told you that inflation was transitory. The government told you the vaccine was safe and effective. Now, the government is telling the people of East Palestine Ohio that there is no danger. The government can't be trusted.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    Yup whether republikkkan or demokkkrat it's all the same. That's why I vote GREEN
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ And we conservatives thank you for thus pissing your vote away
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    Tetradon I don't believe in voting for the lesser of 2 evils. Republicans and democrats are the same once in the presidency. Congress matters more. At least I have a clear conscience. Politics aside we'd be niggaz lulz
  • wld4tatas
    a year ago
    What Twitter feed did you copy and paste that bullshit from this time, Mark?
  • wld4tatas
    a year ago
    Try this one: Number of people who have died from the Ohio rail accident: 0 Number of people who have died from guns in the same time frame: approx. 1600
  • mark94
    a year ago
    There are more gun deaths from suicide than from homicide and accidents combined. A high percent of the homicides are gang related involving illegal weapons. A significant portion of the non-suicide, non-gang, non-accident gun deaths involve self defense, including police incidents involving an armed perpetrator. So, yes, 1,600 deaths are far too many, but these are a lot of categories and circumstances within those numbers.
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    This is from an opinion piece in The NY Times, so feel free to fact check it if you want. It has a chart with a graph of train derailments by year by year from 1970 to 2022. Peak was over 35000 derailments in around 1980 and then a steep drop to 8000 in 2005 or so and then the decline to around 1000. Hard to argue derailments are increasing. Second, after a spate of catastrophic derailments including one in NJ involving vinyl chloride, the Obama administration recommended stricter rules for trains carrying hazardous materials including stricter speed limits, stronger rail cars, more advanced brakes and better disclosure to inform states of what was passing through on the rails. The RR lobbied against it, but they did implement rules requiring more advanced braking systems on some hazmat trains. Trump repealed the rule after the RR industry contributed $6mm into 2016 republican campaigns. Would the rule have prevented this disaster? Who knows, but when you complain about government incompetence be mindful that it falls on both sides of the aisle. [view link]
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    "Politics aside we'd be niggaz lulz" I've been confused for black, but I'm no one's African-American. "So, yes, 1,600 deaths are far too many, but these are a lot of categories and circumstances within those numbers." Which is why anyone who conflates the various causes of deaths from guns isn't sincere. Suicides happen with whatever's in reach. Japan's suicide rate dwarfs ours, and the Emperor of Japan himself would have a rough time getting a gun. Hanging is almost as sure as a self-inflicted gunshot wound (I guess most people don't know how to properly off themselves).
  • mark94
    a year ago
    The Biden Administration has rejected a request for federal disaster assistance from FEMA to help with the derailment crisis in East Palestine. Not diverse enough, I guess.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ Can't be blamed on systemic racism or climate change. The only two acceptable emergencies to Democrats. Doesn't help that Ohio's gone red, and East Palestine is solid Trump country.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    @JimmyMcNulty - The only reason I spent any time at all on this is because in 1980 I was in high school, so I thought I would remember if there was an average of NINTY SIX (96) train derailments EVERY SINGLE DAY, for a WHOLE YEAR. Seriously man, does that even sound the slightest bit reasonable? Maybe they mean like if a wheel comes loose, it's identified at the next stop, and that car is flagged for maintenance? Even then 96 every day seems like a stretch. Don't know where the NY Times dug that up, but it sounds absolutely absurd. I couldn't find very much historical data to either corroborate or disprove that figure, but common sense would tell you that 99% of them were so minor and inconsequential that they didn't even make the news. In fact, taking away 99% would still mean 350 or almost 1 per day, and since there are only a few "newsworthy" derailments every year, I'd say almost NONE of those 35,000 were of any real importance. And regarding the 1000 or so number (currently) I've heard thrown around, well here's an article from Newsweek dated 2/13/23: [view link] According to this there have been "more than a dozen" derailments thus far, meaning 1-1/2 months into the year. If you take that to mean about 15 and annualize it, that's 120. A far cry from 1000, but still one every three days. Do you hear about a train derailment twice a week all year long? I don't. That's because almost all of them are of no real consequence. This disaster is potentially comparable to the Flint Michigan water crisis a few years ago, but that incompetent faggot Mayor Pete tries to marginalize it and downplay his own responsibility as Transportation Secretary by telling us it's just one of a thousand derailments. God forbid he might have to work an extra hour one day and be late getting home for a good ass-fucking.
  • Tetradon
    a year ago
    ^ This article says it best on Buttigieg: "In barely over two years, Buttigieg has overseen a crippling supply chain crisis (during which time Buttigieg was AWOL on paternity leave); a near-horrific national rail strike avoided at the last minute; the first FAA grounding of all national flights since 9/11; and most recently, a series of high-profile, visually shocking, destructive train derailments. It is evidently not possible to be worse at one's job than the 41-year-old former mayor of Indiana's fourth-largest city is at being transportation secretary of the United States." [view link]
  • Hank Moody
    a year ago
    Orange, sorry you had to write all that. The thread has meandered, but I’ll recap how we got here. Mark said there were 1044 derailments in 2022 to stand for the proposition that they were increasing. I posted the last four years of data from the Federal RR Administration which confirmed Mark’s number, but all four years were about the same, give or take. Here is the link to the Fed website. [view link] Yes, you are correct that many of these derailments are minor. However, if you are comparing apples to apples since 1970, you use the 35k number. My point is that they are trending down and the data supports that point. If you want to be debate the definition of derailment, that’s a different discussion.
  • misterorange
    a year ago
    Jimmy, If we're comparing apples to apples, Pete "Fuck Me Up The Ass" Buttigieg shouldn't be talking about 1000 insignificant derailments as a response to one of the worst US disasters in recent memory.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    a year ago
    And no fema help. So much for bidens make believe environmentalism
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion