tuscl

Forum, Discussion, or Review?

Leonard313
Michigan
Friday, November 25, 2022 6:01 AM
So, I stopped by a club recently wearing athletic pants and they didn't let me in because they had a "business attire" policy.

Now, thats fine.. I didn't really care that much. I mean, they saved me $200-$800 and 2-6 hours.

But, it got me thinking. I actually never had that happen to me before. I once went to a club that had a "no hats" policy. But, I jut put my hat back in the car. In this case, I couldn't change my pants. How was I supposed to know they had a "suit" or "black tie" policy until I got to the door and was greeted by a security guard? I hadn't planned on going there ahead of time.

When I got home and started thinking about writing the review...it occurred to me...I couldn't really write a review. I hadn't actually went into the club. But, hadn't I seen reviews of people who never actually went into the clubs? I couldn't recall. Is my experience enough content for a review? If not, how would I warn others about the athletic wear policy so they don't waste their time? Isn't that the point of the website? Should I post an article or a discussion or a forum post? How would any of that get added to the review of the club?

Should I email the person "in charge"? Who is that? Maybe people just gotta go through a baptism of fire...school of hard knocks. Next, time dress up better. Put on the Brooks Brothers if you're gonna go out.

What do you folks think?

17 comments

• shadowcat
    2 years ago
    Post on club discussion board and submit an update club details showing dress code.
  • Electronman
    2 years ago
    Dress code might be a helpful item to add to the unofficial strip club review template (along with parking and admission costs, private dance costs, facilities and mileage).

But, a strictly enforced dress code is somewhat unusual and I've never encountered a suit or black tie policy. It is worth warning potential customers of a restrictive dress code. Shadowcat's suggestion is good: add it to the club description. But also mention it in a review of the club if you ever decide to go back.

By the way, what club was this? I've been refused admission to Flight Club (Inkster,MI) for wearing long athletic pants (joggers) and once for refusing to check my vest (it was cold!). But I've never heard of clubs that required suits and black ties.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    How does business attire become a suit and black tie, sounds to me like someone is making a mountain out od a molehill.
  • Leonard313
    2 years ago
    @twentyfive...thank you for snarky comment.

Need at least one of those or the site just wouldn't be the site. "No", I don't know what "business attire" means because I didn't get in to see...nor did they elaborate in any way...nor is the term "business attire" very specific. I'm "assuming" it means "dress pants" (i.e. khaki's, slacks, suit pants, etc...) and then a non-athletic top...which could be anything...I'm assuming they'll allow t-shirts...but no tank tops. But, maybe not. Can you wear jeans? I don't know. The point is, you don't really know. Terms like "business attire" are often whatever the club feels like that means and they "reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone" so it doesn't really matter.

My comment about "Brooks Brothers/black tie" was somewhat in jest.

@shadowcat...thankful for being helpful.

@Electroman...yes, it was Flight Club.
    I had never been there. I think when I went to Landing Strip they wouldn't let me where a hat. I assumed it was a "gang thing"...I mean I've seen that in a couple other clubs. It's actually a good policy because stripper love to take your hat and screw around with it and sometimes you don't get it back...so I don't have a problem with no hat policies.

But other dress codes? I just have never really seen it. I "usually" wore certain pants when I went clubbing. They were a linen beach pant that seemed kinda casual/athletic but also a little dressy. Recently I started wearing track pants because they are black, you can wear a dress shirt and in a dark club they almost look like a pair of slacks. And these pants are softer material...not as rough if the ladies are grinding or what not. In California, some clubs I wore shorts. My buddy and I used to club in Ontario (Canada) and he wore basketball jerseys (essentially a tank top) and sweat pants. And no, THAT was not a good look. We needed a dress code for him.

But now I'm nervous. I haven't been clubbing much lately. But is Landing Strip "business attire"? I've been there, but I don't recall what I wore. What about some of the other clubs I was going to try in the area that I haven't sampled yet (I think there might be a few left)? A lot of these sites don't have websites and the ones that do...don't list their dress code. Flight Club is the only one that mentions it (I looked when I got back) and it just says, "business attire".

• twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I thought I was pretty gentle in my comment but if that’s snarky, you really shouldn’t be such a snowflake. Business attire isn’t that complicated and if that’s their requirement you can find someplace else to spend your money if it creates a problem for you.
  • Ulrik79
    2 years ago
    Flight Club has a sign at the front door.

No white t-shirts

No athletic wear

No hoodies
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Foxy Lady in Providence has a no hoodies policy. They told me to remove it, so I just said, "no thanks, I'll head on over to Desires, be well". Magically the policy changed, but I couldn't wear a hat in Desires.........
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I haven't seen a dress code in a while. But it's the clubs loss. I think sometimes they just make ahit up. I wasn't let into a club for wearing track pants but they were letting in guys in shorts
  • doctorevil
    2 years ago
    I have no idea what "business attire" is anymore. It depends on what business you are and where you are located, and most businesses have gotten a lot more casual over the years, and especially since COVID. There are still businesses where a suit and tire is the daily uniform--banking, management at a big company, etc., but most places have gone to "business casual." Business casual is kind of hard to define also. It used to mean khakis/slacks with button down and a sport jacket. Nowadays, at least in my area, it can be as casual as jeans and a polo/t-shirt.

Tattletale in Atlanta has a sign that says the dress code is "business casual." Whatever that means, it's pretty loosely enforced. But yeah, anyplace that like to consider themselves somewhat upscale usually doesn't want athletic wear or white t-shirts.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    If nothing else, post it as a club discussion.

I have also seen reviewers post a review stating up front "I know there's not a lot here, but this seems like an important bit of information for anyone who travels a distance to get to this club." And then they submit themselves to the mercy of the review adjudicators.

It might get through; it might not. If it gets through, there's probably going to be some complaining about a lack of details, etc. You need to decide how much you care about that.

I'd give such a review a thumbs up if it's going to save someone a long drive for nothing.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    For me personally, the purpose of a review is to inform people w.r.t. what the club has to offer, vs just discussing a singular-topic such as dress-code, or a specific dancer one likes, etc – there are reviewers that go to a club; say the club “was great”, but they didn’t get a single dance, can’t comment on the mileage, nor the prices, etc; so for me that review does not offer much – for me a review should have details/specifics (vs generalities) – reviews that say “club was great” … “girls were awesome” ... usually don’t have much value (and I assume a good # of the generic-reviews are likely written just to get the free-VIP vs wanting to provide useful information).

w.r.t. providing info on a singular-topic like dress-code; if it’s a club that is reviewed fairly-often, then keep an eye-out for the next published review about the club and then put that info as a review-comment – or if you are not that active on TUSCL to where you peruse the daily reviews often, then just put the info as a comment in the most-recent review of the club.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    w.r.t. club dress-codes – IME not uncommon for clubs that bill-themselves as somewhat “upscale” to have a dress-code – also IME it’s more common for dress-codes to be enforced on nightshift although some clubs are consistent w.r.t. their dress-code irrespective of shift.

The OP mentioned in one of his comments wearing athletic-pants that can pass as slacks – I often try to do this by wearing similar pants that are black and have pockets – these are “usually” not an issue but then again I rarely visit at night anymore and I’m also not that much into upscale clubs – but if I’m hitting a “somewhat upscale” club particularly at night, I try to dress a little better just in case; I also feel more out of place being dressed-down at night.

In “most clubs” that somewhat enforce a dress-code there are two things that IME may get you barred from entering:

1) wearing a shirt w/o a collar (I don’t recall ever being barred entry while wearing a shirt w/ a collar even if it was just a t-shirt)

2) wearing pants (or shorts) w/o a zipper – in the dives I hit I will usually wear dark-colored baggy athletic-shorts and I never really have an issue – most of my visits are on dayshift – if I go at night, then I opt for dark thin pants that usually don’t have a fly – the few times I’ve been denied entry at some clubs when I was wearing “pants” was when my pants didn’t have a fly/zipper (same for shorts; some clubs allow khaki-style shorts w/ zippers but not athletic-shorts w/ no zipper)

There are some pants that are thin similar to athletic pants but have a thin zipper; these can usually pass as “slacks” at almost all clubs IME – the key is to find ones where you can barely tell the zipper is there if at all since these are more-comfortable for dances.

I think if one sticks to collared shirts/t-shirts; and to pants w/ a (preferably thin) zipper (and preferably in black and w/ pockets); then this is probably good-to-go at almost any club (IME).
  • Leonard313
    2 years ago
    The interesting thing was...to elaborate a little more:

I wasn't planning on going there. I went to a nearby club, but that club only had one dancer working and it was a joke. So, I just thought I'd give this other place a try. I hadn't really read up on it or anything. It looked nice from the street, but thats hit or miss on what that means. They had mandatory valet...which is annoying, but they're not the only club that does that. I was just honestly hoping I wasn't going through all this nonsense only to find out there was only one chick dancing.

So, when I got to the door and the security guard said I couldn't come in because I didn't have the proper pants on...I just didn't really care. Like I said, I kinda wanted to see what the place looked like and see how it comped to LS...but it was a holiday and probably not a fair night for a comparison anyways...so, oh well. It's really their loss. The parking lot was kinda empty for 9:00PM and I had $800 to burn.

But, the interesting part is...when I was at the previous establishment...two guys came in dressed head to toe in NFL team apparel. They weren't players...just fans from out of town. This was Thanksgiving day and they guys were in town for the game. And, as I was driving away from FC, I thought, "I wonder if those guys tried to get into FC and got denied because of their fandom outfits that included "Zumba" weight-lifting style pants (like MC Hammer pants) in their NFL team colors?" I mean, they likely would have hit FC first since it's much easier to see from the street...so I'm betting the dress code cost FC quite a bit that night.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    In the USA, dress codes vary a great deal based on region, urban/suburban/rural, industry, etc. Some employers will have elaborate guidelines, other will say their dress code is "yes please"... as in, "yes please come to work wearing some clothes".

In the UK, I found that there were several levels of dress code, and people knew pretty much exactly what they meant. A given bar could be Casual on Thursday, and Smart Casual on Friday. What shoes you were wearing was an eternal source of door guy nitpicking. There are certain events, social gatherings, professional contexts, and many bars and clubs that have very specific rules by event, day of the week, hour of the day, and even area of the facility. It really was a bit silly These were roughly:

Black Tie - tuxedo (there's even higher levels than this, but I didn't experience them directly)

Business Attire - suit and tie (lots of additional rules here as well)

Business Casual - if you work in a suit and tie office, they let you wear this on fridays: designer jeans with leather shoes, button down shirt, and casual blazer. No "trainers" ie running shoes, no shitty Levis. Looked douchey as fuck to me. Oh look, I'm "casual" now. But still wearing $1500 worth of status symbols. Barf.

Smart Casual - one step down from business casual, usually meant a pullover and no blazer or chinos and a polo shirt. I guess preppy, still no "trainers". Also not sloppy or torn clothes or band tshirts etc.

Casual / no dress code - whatever, usually jeans or shorts and tshirts and hoodie

In the USA, if there is a dress code and you're not being invited to Martha's Vineyard or a White House function, it's probably something that whoever is in charge just made up, and is whatever the fuck they think dressing up means to them at the moment. So, it's best to call them and ask what they want you to wear. Or else going to one of the 99.9% of other business in that locale that aren't doing this.

In the UK there were also rules about suit colors and stripes, shirt colors, shirt cuff and collar colors, as well as cufflinks and other jewelry, depending on the industry and season. There were unofficial rules about what kind of watch a person wears in what kind of industry. If you didn't follow these, folks would make fun of you at a minimum, or in certain cases you could get sent home. Longer story...
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "How does business attire become a suit and black tie, sounds to me like someone is making a mountain out of a molehill."

Exactly. If I had to guess, they're just trying to limit gym shorts, sweat pants, sleeveless shirts and other athletic wear.

@Leonard: Contrary to your claim, there was nothing "snarky" about 25's comment. You were the one making drama queen claims about needing a "suit" or "black tie" and telling readers to put on their Brooks Brothers (which btw have really come down in quality since the ownership change). 25 simply pointed out that you were probably blowing things out of proportion. I agree.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    Oh, and no, you shouldn't write a review of a club you didn't even enter. There is a Club Comments section for one-off shit like that.
  • deboinair
    a year ago
    This is a first that I've heard of a club having a "Business Attire" well unless it's a over priced Gentleman's club. I avoid those like the plague. The biggest thing I've encountered was they some clubs won't let you wear jersey shorts. Getting dressed up to go to a strip club is insane to me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion