tuscl

OT: automobiles in the desert SW

ilbbaicnl
Keep it in my pants when I do OTC. If I were a stripper it would stand for I like big bucks and I can not lie.
Sunday, November 6, 2022 8:42 PM
If you live in the desert SW (very low humidity, 110F+ summer temps), do you need special tires/belts/coolant or other such maintenance items for your automobile? Is it just a part of life that your automobile will break down a lot in the summer? I remember somebody telling me your CV boot will crack and leak on a regular basis.

14 comments

• conan_mac_morna
    2 years ago
    You can expect to replace the battery every 12-15 months in an older car, 15-18 months in newer. Windshields last no time at all, mostly due to flying rocks. If you park outside, even with sun shades, the interior will degrade and smell 20 years old pretty much immediately. I've had no problems with CV joints, cooling systems, or tires.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    You have to be more careful with making sure you have enough fluids. Clean your engine and radiator regularly coz of dust. Reppace yoir air filters. Your battery may not last as long and your engine power can be a little lower. Get a car cover if you don't have covered parking. Also use a shade for your windows. The sun can mess up your interior. It's just common sense stiff for the weather
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    Don't worry. It's a "dry" heat.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    There's some truth to the dry heat thing. But 110 is not fun even when dry it seems. Looks like the typical July heat index for Las Vegas and Atlanta is about the same, in the 105 F ballpark.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    park your car in the shade. My badass Prius for its first 5 years was owned by my youngest daughter who lives in Phoenix. she worked a day job and even though the car was garaged at night it was outside in the full force of the Sun 5 days a week. now the car is 10 years old and I park it outside all the time but at a higher az elevation but nonetheless out in the sun most the time. definitely it's harder on the paint and the interior. as a general rule down in Phoenix along the Colorado River and Tucson regular car batteries don't last very long, but the little bitty 12 volt battery in my badass Prius did last 8 years (which I find miraculous.)
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    Interesting I thought Priuses only had the big battery charged by braking.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    prius has the little 12v battery for the lights and general car accessories and computer... the big battery is for propulsion and the starter motor. The computer decides to start the car. braking and the gas engine charge the big battery. I think it's kind of amazing the thing works as well as it does cuz it is extremely complicated.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    “The computer decides to start the car“ A Skynet funding bill is passed in the United States Congress, and the system goes online on August 4, 1997, removing human decisions
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    That's what my mechanic tells me about hybrids, better to pick one between gasoline and electric.
  • azdd
    2 years ago
    I agree with previous comments, especially on batteries. It doesn't matter how many "months" your battery is warrantied, they typically last 2-3 years tops. I drive between Tucson and Phoenix regularly all year, and windshields do take a beating on the freeway. I've never had any other problems, I think most vehicles are engineered with fairly high temperature tolerances. Some even have proving grounds in the Phoenix area. Shade is a precious commodity when parking, many of us willingly walk much further in 110 degree parking lots so we can put our vehicle under a few strands of Palo Verde branches. I had a previous vehicle lose it's paint job through clearcoat failure, am considering a ceramic coating for my new vehicle. I think the best tools for vehicle longevity are regular maintenance, park indoors or in shade when you can, and try not to get stuck idling in traffic. Keep an eye on tires and pressures. If they were purchased in a cooler climate, they may have a lower temperature rating. Google how to read tire markings to verify if your tires are rated for higher temps.
  • Goodclubrep
    2 years ago
    Used to buy 5 year batteries and they averaged 3 years. Started buying 3 year batteries about 45 years ago and average a little better than 4 years. This is in the Southeast.
  • JimGassagain
    2 years ago
    I fry my bacon on the hood of my vehicle when waiting for my Pizza at Bianco’s. It is delicious. Bacon!!
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    Some already mentioned, main concerns are the clear on your paint, and interior plastics.
  • conan_mac_morna
    2 years ago
    ^DMARC is a *little* more complicated than that. The airframes still require major protection and maintenance, and the engines and avionics are removed for storage in climate-controlled facilities. They don’t just land the aircraft, taxi to the staging area, shut down and call it good… unlike how we treat our cars.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion