tuscl

[OT] What are you reading?

Call.Me.Ishmael
Rhode Island
Monday, September 5, 2022 4:13 PM
I've posted this question a few times before. The answers are interesting and I have found some good books via posts on here. Anyway, my answers... "The Quantum Magician" by Derek Künsken Hard(ish) science fiction meets "Oceans 11". I'm not far into it, but so far it's a good read. "Fire and Blood" by George R.R. Martin It's the book that forms the basis for the "House of the Dragon" TV series. Pretty much a fun, escapist fantasy book. So, yeah, right now it's all pretty nerdy stuff. I haven't read much non-fiction lately. Perhaps I'll find my next non-fiction read in this thread.

19 comments

• georgmicrodong
    2 years ago
    The Witcher: The Last Wish. The basis for at least portions of The Witcher TV series. Next on the list is a re-read of Sanderson's Mistborn series, because I just picked up books 4 through 6 of the series.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Just finished John Grisham's "Sparring Partners" I have to say I was very disappointed, that's a first for me with a book by Grisham.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    I like to go back and reread some old favorites about every 10 years or so and that's what I have been doing the last couple of months. I just finished Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" yesterday. I'm planning to start Kerouac's "On the Road" in the next couple of days. Before I started back on my old favorites I had just finished David Baldacci's "Will Robie" series.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    I love anything college football so I’ve been reading about Beano Cook’s life story. His life revolved around Pittsburgh sports. [view link]
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Ils disent que je suis une beurette by soraya nini I also read Stephen King books a lot. Yall would like the sex scene at the end of It lulz
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Speaking of nerdy stuff…. Rather than late night reading, I’ve discovered MIT Open Couseware. Some nights I’ll be in bed with my laptop and listen to lectures, mainly Econ, lately
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    MIT's open coursework is great. This might interest you: [view link]
  • crazyjoe
    2 years ago
    I just finished The Intelligent Investor by Benjaman Graham recommended to me by the Juice Mane
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    25 - I found Grisham to be much less interesting after I started reading Scott Turow's books.
  • CJKent_band
    2 years ago
    “Oh, the Places You'll Go!” ~ Published: January 22, 1990 ~ Author: Theodor Seuss Geisel aka Dr Seuss ~ Born March 2, 1904 Springfield, Massachusetts, U.S. ~ Died September 24, 1991 San Diego,California, U.S.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^ Hah! Our resident dick pic collector reads Dr Seuss. Sort of explains his fantasy postings here doesn't it!
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Re-reading the Foundation trilogy by Asimov. Tried watching the new mini series and it sucked so bad, I had to go back to the book.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    i’m reading comic books. and the hamb. some tj sites. oh… yeah. tuscl. haven’t picked up a book for months.
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    Just read “The Hangman’s Wife” about the Nazi demon war criminal Reinhard Heydrich who was assassinated in occupied Prague in 1942. Incredibly researched historical biography, but not for the faint of heart. Reading “Pandemia” by Alex Berenson. A lot of the “science” that was politicized and preached about, wasn’t very good science and was actually wrong.
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    Thanks Ish - I’m always looking for good new sci fi (I read all the classics and then some). I’ll check out The Quantum Magician.
  • Electronman
    2 years ago
    For light reading, Fredrick Backman's books: Bear Town, Anxious People and A Man Called Ove. Well written, witty and good, quirky story lines.
  • conan_mac_morna
    2 years ago
    "Use of Weapons," Iain M Banks. I fucking love the Culture novels, almost as much as Discworld.
  • dannyboy3
    2 years ago
    Quantum Magician was very good, the sequel decent. I just finished To sleep in a nest of stars by Paulini. Very well done although I didn't love it
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion