tuscl

OT; California Cities Ban New Gas Stations, Even As Price Tops $6 Per Gallon

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Tuesday, July 12, 2022 4:51 PM
"California Cities Ban New Gas Stations, Even As Price Tops $6 Per Gallon" In an attempt to battle climate change, some California cities are rejecting the construction of new gas stations. Officials of a Sonoma County city north of San Francisco were the first in the game when they stopped the development of a gas station there last year. “We didn’t know what we were doing, actually,” Petaluma Councilwoman D’Lynda Fischer told Yahoo News. “We didn’t know we were the first in the world when we banned gas stations.” Since that decision, four other cities in the Bay Area have done the same. The average price per gallon in California is now $6.06, according to AAA. In one county, the price is $7.11. The movement is now making its way to Los Angeles, with 13 million residents in the city and surrounding area. The city has already been slow to grant new stations, approving one to two new stations per year from 2016 to 2021, excluding 2017, Yahoo reported. L.A. Councilmember Paul Koretz (D) has put forward a proposal to stop new stations there. “We are ending oil drilling in Los Angeles. We are moving to all-electric new construction. And we are building toward fossil fuel free transportation. Our great and influential city, which grew up around the automobile, is the perfect place to figure out how to move off the gas-powered car,” he said. [view link]

18 comments

• Muddy
    2 years ago
    This is what these cocksuckers want. Same stupid shit by me, they want to make it as miserable as possible for drivers so we get out of our car and walk, bike, take the train etc.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    You know one day… we will all probably be dead by the time this happens - what happens to all the gas stations around the world? Here in the US there a lot of gas stations on very valuable road front property. Do they shut down and open strip clubs on them? Or where there be electric charging stations in most of them? On the road I’ve eat gas station food before out of desperation but it certainly isn’t a destination for me, although Muddy likes the hot dogs on the rollers at 7-11.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    I very much do
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    More gas stations doesn't mean lower prices. In fact the cost of building them is passed on to consumers.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I don’t have any dog in this fight, but my brother took me into a Buckees a few months ago, damn there’s like 200 pumps, and the store is the size of a Walmart superstore they had several prepared food counters including a Bar B Cue section with a line waiting for food about 100 people deep. Biggest gas station I’ve ever seen in my life.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    So to lower emissions, they want people to drive farther to fill up their tanks ? That makes a lot of sense. NOT !!
  • iknowbetter
    2 years ago
    Less gas stations only means that people need to drive more to get to the existing (remaining) ones. But more gas stations won’t help the price to come down. We really need to be supporting both fossil fuel and renewable infrastructures by building electric fast charge stations, while also continuing to maintain the existing petroleum stations (as well as building new ones where needed). We are moving toward an electric car - centric future, and this is a good thing. But fossil fueled internal combustion engines and vehicles will never go away completely, so we still need gas stations too. Refusing to build new gas stations is short sighted logic.
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    Less gas stations means they have to compete less on price
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Gasoline price are not really being effected by the number of gas stations, or by any excessive level of gas station profits. SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    2 years ago
    I don't know anyone that is anti green-energy - the issue is the current administration has politicized this like it has politicized/weaponized everything else and are trying to force green-energy way-before it's ready to support society's current energy-needs - just look at what's happening in Sri Lanka and Europe for trying to be energy-woke.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    There has never been much of a difference in prices among stations. However new ones tend to be more expensive to cover the costs. It's not like there's a shortage of gas stations though. Except out in the Nevada desert.
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    probably the true intent is to force more electric charging stations up and throw in some more bicycle requirements and public transit useage. THe plan was always for them to "go green" after all. Gas prices aren't going down and Cali seems car crowded as is from what pictures and youtube videos I see. Good thing you older folks are already secure. You just get to eat popcorn as the world turns anew. I'm still hopeful for the future though.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    It's virtue signaling, plain and simple. I wonder how long it takes for an EV charging station to become profitable? It's not only the cost of construction. Think of all the copper and rare earth minerals that it takes to build a charging station for only 10-12 cars. You need, at a minimum, three different plugs at each station. Cars park there all day, instead of servicing several cars an hour. There's additional costs, expensive ones, for running the additional power lines to the station to support the high electricity usage. This is all happening in a state with the most unreliable and overstressed power grid in the nation. Typical liberal ignorance.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Collapsing currency and high producer prices are why gas prices are high, and may be getting higher. Not a lack of gas stations. SJG
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    WTF do you now about gas and gas stations creep except when you pedal around on your huffy looking for free air?
  • Liwet
    2 years ago
    r/fuckcars
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Tax and ban; the Democratic party solution to every problem.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Protect the commons from exploitation and destruction, and protect our economy from the financializers trying to suck all the money out for themselves. Biden in Israel, PBS Newshour July 14, 2022 [view link] SJG Janis Joplin - Down On Me - School of Rock All-Stars Team 2 (notice the 5 string bass a guy has) [view link] Led Zeppelin - Song Remains the Same - Team 2 2014 School of Rock AllStars [view link]
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion