tuscl

Seattle conditions, desert scrub, and strip clubs?

drewcareypnw
not the real drew carey, but I play him at strip clubs...
The scrub brought this up in a recent review comment and I thought it was interesting.

“are the clubs slowing down because of the huge burden of taxes in WA? the overwhelming homeless population in Seattle? the high crime rate has slowed down business? seattle has become a city over-run by drugs, crime and a cost of living that is simply not sustainable!”

Very interesting questions, scrub.

My take:

Taxes: our sales tax rate is middling, not high for the USA and not low. We have no income tax. I don’t think this would slow us down sc wise now, even if it was high… clubs have existed in the current tax environment for a while.

The overwhelming homeless situation… I won’t lie. We have a huge problem, not LA/SF level, but still fucking awful. I’d say that downtown restaurants and bars are suffering, but handy friendly sc’s? Not that I can tell.

Drugs: if you mean weed, then yeah for sure. If you mean heroin, then probably not as bad as the 90s. Not sure on this. Impact on sc’s? None that I can see.

Crime: there is an ass mountain of petty property crime. You and your Amazon packages are going to be separated. Of course the big A just replaces whatever get stolen, so it’s not a big deal. But don’t leave shit on your porch or in your mailbox. Murder/rape/armed robbery? Not sure about this. Lower than the 80s/90s. We probably have less “bum rush the Walgreens” than other big cities. We have a lot of fuckers creepy crawling bars at 4 AM and ruining local small businesses. I feel like a few German shepherds could fix this tho, so maybe the club owners are just pussies. No sc impact that I can see.

Cost of living: FUCK YES it’s unsustainable, unless you work for big tech then it’s manageable. For me, no problem. For the average waitress or dancer? Shit show. So I guess it depends, but I do hate to see my home town turned into a global center of anything. Dances are $40 and 3/$100, vip is $50 to the club and $300 to the girl… a bump, but then again everything was $20 for decades. Not sure how bad this is.

Seatttle dudes? What do you think?

45 comments

• Muddy
    2 years ago
    My last time in downtown Seattle was pretty eye opening. I'm mean maybe people get used to it, but that stuff is not normal. I saw documentary that was pretty interesting too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WW…
  • mike710
    2 years ago
    I travel to Seattle a few times a year. It has been one of the most expensive places in
    I visit for years now.

It wasn't until recently that I noticed homeless camps increasing
    To the point they are just about everywhere.

To be honest, it's at the top of the list of places I'd rather not go to. That being said, I used to like SF and Portland but those places are no longer fun to visit.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Expensive west coast cities, like Seattle, tend to require people to spend much of their pay on housing cost. Now that mortgage rates have doubled, very few people would qualify for a mortgage for a nice home.

Short term, that means very few homes will sell in Seattle. Longer term, it means many homes will drop 30% in value. That will eat up a large chunk of people’s net worth.

That will affect clubs, not to mention every other aspect of life.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    @muddy/mike to be fair, I never go downtown and have no reason to. I live in a neighborhood, and it’s much tamer than the center. Anything I’d like to do is in the neighborhoods, so I never have to figure out how to get from Ruth’s Chris or whatever to the Westin. The tech hub areas are squeaky clean, esp when compared to the 90s when they were derelict warehouse and flophouse areas. But downtown, esp near the courthouse and 3rd/pine? Fuck that. It’s a shitty side of the city to show to visitors. Ironically the only good strip clubs are in the neighborhoods. For example: the one where I just got a nice pully from a hot blonde with big titties.
  • mike710
    2 years ago
    @Muddy. I made it through about half of the documentary and the fact that only 18 of 100 crimes were prosecuted was scary. What was even scarier is that this documentary was probably shot 4 to 5 years ago. It is even worse now.

Obviously, letting the inmates run the asylum is not the answer.
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    I'm old enough to remember when conservatives would point to cities like Detroit as examples of the failure of liberal policies and liberals would respond by pointing out how liberal run cities like Seattle, Portland or San Francisco were pleasant places to live. The quality of life in these cities is now deteriorating. It just took longer for liberals to ruin these cities. This is possibly because they never had large black populations, which are especially prone to take advantage of lax crime policies and readily available welfare benefits.

The exodus of middle-class Republicans has now turned formerly Republican Indianapolis, where I live, into a Democrat bastion and it's having negative effects on local strip clubs. Crime is increasing, along with homelessness, and this is driving even more of the middle class out of the city. They are reluctant to make the longer drive from the outer suburbs into what are now increasingly dangerous areas to visit a strip club and that is hurting local club business.

• Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Liberal means socially liberal. Which is good. The problem is that the economic policies are still conservative. Real estate developers have a huge impact on politics throughout the west coast and their campaign contributions are why so-called liberal cities pander to their interests.
  • nicespice
    2 years ago
    People are homeless because homes aren’t affordable relative to how much people make. Simple as that. People who have developed a high enough EQ to be able live with family members or roommates and all the challenges that comes with that are able to avoid the streets. (And also are coordinated enough that if somebody either can’t or won’t work for a period of time, what they are able to contribute gets figured out and settled—and can sit things out while “no one wants to work”)

And people who don’t have or can’t develop that EQ, for whatever reason (yes drugs are a big one), end up on the streets. Both the left and the right have plenty of the “losers/unskilled laborers don’t deserve to live” mentality so idk why this thread has to start getting politicized.

Anyways, clubs are notoriously slow at the moment in many places not just the PNW. But the interesting thing, related to this site specifically, I remember immediately after Covid shutdowns all the nonstop “yay, I can’t wait for a recession so I can go bargain hunting” posts all over this site. The time has arrived, the fear and greed index shows “extreme fear” and that topic is…crickets
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Nicespice do you mean now with this recession, dancers are gonna be more likely to offer extras and OTC stuff

• nicespice
    2 years ago
    @ThirdEyeBlind That stuff was already pretty “normalized” imo and certain dancer groups actually, before Covid, would ban you if you criticize either specific acts or even prices charged for such acts. That kind of activity has already been rampant for a long while now.

Covid was a weird time that shuffled a lot of dancers into pursuing other ventures, and others to become a dancer for the first time. And also a surprising number of inquiries along the lines of “I haven’t danced at a strip club since 2010, am I too old to return?”

My personal guess is: there probably will be a bump in availability for that type of stuff, but also at this point more people are used to not taking things for granted and can weather disrupting situations more and not do quick FSSW just because they are in panic mode.
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Dancer groups banned you from what?
    Stripperweb has all kinds of complaints about dancers offering extras and working in clubs
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    The COVID shut down was also an economic shut down, and it did lead to more crime and make more people unhoused. Capitalism is broken. It has been since the 1870's.

Right now inflation and fears of inflation are making people belt tighten. And that inflation is caused by the leaders of both political parties burring up the printing press making those bail out payments. There was no economic activity to back up the currency. All it did was sustain the securities and real estate bubbles. With the economy stopped that was where the impact should have been felt.

But instead we destroyed our currency.

At this point the best thing to do is pass the Build Back Better with its upper income tax hikes, and pass the Green New Deal, and then go to Universal Basic Income, a strong public housing offering, medicare for all, and free college with college loan forgiveness. This takes care of everything material and monetary and it ends the conflict between economic and environmental goals.

SJG

https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=3794

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcVwjg6k…
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    I think homeless people are less, not more, bothersome on average than people in general. They're in a very vulnerable situation, and don't need to go looking for trouble. The bothersome homeless are more about our unwillingness to seriously deal with problems of addiction and mental illness. It's pretty disgusting that we don't think about affordable housing until troubled people bug us. When we get our fast food, we don't worry that the person behind the counter may spend multiple hours on a slow bus every day, to get to a mediocre job.

Sometimes, when you hear comments about the homeless, makes the Nazis seem like humanitarians by comparison. At least they were willing to grant a relatively quick death to the people they just wanted disappeared.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    ^^^ I agree with ilbbaicnl. ANd here is someone who really creeps me out, CA State Senator Susan Eggman, a Social Worker and CSU Sacramento Professor, and a Democrat. She is the co-author of Gavin's Care Courts plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=227f4j0b…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLBORto4…

SJG

Chaka Khan - Melody Still Lingers On (Live, 1981)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyzrlndL…
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    "At this point the best thing to do is pass the Build Back Better with its upper income tax hikes, and pass the Green New Deal, and then go to Universal Basic Income, a strong public housing offering, medicare for all, and free college with college loan forgiveness. This takes care of everything material and monetary and it ends the conflict between economic and environmental goals."

If we want wheelbarrows of cash to buy a loaf of bread, and to eat dogs to avoid starving to death, sure. Otherwise don't take advice from someone who clearly slept through basic economics.
  • ericinthe206
    2 years ago
    Naturally this turned into a generic politics shit-posting thread, but trying to get back to the topic, I think that of the things mentioned the only things making a difference regarding club activity levels is the economy and the high cost of living.

Things are costing me more now in other areas of my life and Seattle has gotten even more expensive lately so that means I have less disposable income to spend at the clubs. But I'm very new to the scene so I don't know how the clubs themselves have changed in the recent or not-recent past.
  • SirLapdancealot
    2 years ago
    To me Seattle has always been a city with a good strip club scene due to the mileage and diverse PNW hotties. But it's a small scene. Per capita there's not that many clubs. It's actually similar to San Francisco in a lot of ways but slightly less expensive. I'd easily enjoy clubbing in Seattle but it's not my first choice city for that.

And I think all the issues mentioned in OP post are not unique to Seattle. You could apply all of them equally to Portland too, and the strip club scene here is largely unaffected by them as well. The scene per capita here is bigger though.
  • ilbbaicnl
    2 years ago
    My favorite type of shitpost is the shitpost-denouncing shitpost.
  • ericinthe206
    2 years ago
    It is a great city Mr scrub.

Anyway, I'm curious what happens in general to clubs when the economy sours. Fewer dancers? Clubs closing? Better prices? For example what was it like in 2008?
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    "For example what was it like in 2008?"

I've had long time dancers tell me that business dropped in 2008 and never fully recovered. I didn't start going to strip clubs until 2010 so I missed out on their best days. Here in Indianapolis for the last 12 years there has been a long slow decline with one of the local clubs going out of business every couple of years so that we now only have about two thirds as many clubs as previously. Seeing the shrinking number of clubs, the other remaining clubs didn't lower their prices or give better service to try to avoid the same fate. I expect recent trends will just continue.
  • JamesSD
    2 years ago
    MSFT is down 22 percent year to date, Amazon stock 36 percent. Seems like that could explain a slowdown.
  • Pussylicker2
    2 years ago
    I watched the video linked by Drew Carey. Typical liberal nonsense, the government can solve the problem, just give up some of your freedoms. Using drugs is a victimless crime, and all drugs should be legal. Camping in a "no camping" park, pissing and shitting in public, littering are crimes that should be prosecuted. Put these junkies in jail and let them go cold turkey. Stop reviving them with narcan, and watch the problem solve itself. These zombies can't be saved, they don't want to be saved, in many ways they're already dead. It's their lives, I'm not one to judge their life choices.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    Pussylicker: I didn't post that video link, muddy did. I don't know how a documentary that suggests we ship homeless people and drug addicts off to the prison on McNeil Island is "liberal". It seems more like Russia or some other fascist state to me. I can tell you that liberals in Seattle were pretty offended by that suggestion; and that the video was made by an anchor at KOMO, a local station owned by the politically conservative Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Scrub: Seattle does not have the highest suicide rate in the country. That is a commonly repeated myth. King county has 12/100k suicides annually, at the low end compared to some of the more epically fucked rural counties. It's about the same as Maricopa county which has 16/100k.
    https://www.countyhealthrankings.org/

What you also may not know about Seattle is that the locals like the rain. We find that without a daily dose of lubricating and refreshing rain, the webbing between our toes and fingers starts to dry up and crack, which is rather unpleasant.
  • ericinthe206
    2 years ago
    Did someone ask you to consider living here? We're doing fine without you.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Seattle and Portland are such shitholes we no longer ski in the Northwest, just to avoid flying into scumbag, filthy rat traitor cities.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    May and June are consistently horrible months in Seattle strip clubs.

We have grey weather a lot of the year, in may and June it’s starting to get nice, so people are getting outside.

July usually is a great month but May and June are pieces of shit.

The homelessness stuff—everyone loves to talk shit about the situation but it is a problem of most big cities today AND I don’t ever hear anyone proposing a solution. It’s not so simple because it’s not just like, a trash cleanup, it’s people. To me, you could pour millions of dollars into it and it’s going to make a very small impact—a lot of those people will just return because they are on drugs and want to continue being on drugs.

Anyway I’m not worried about the clubs, they are doing what they always do at this time of year.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    “What was it like in 2008?”

It was….fine! 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

The recession really didn’t impact the clubs in Seattle. There was an initial scare at the very start and I was working in Portland at that time, clubs became empty. I took off a couple months and I came back in January 2009, I saved enough money in 2 months to buy an 8 month old lease surrendered luxury car, my loan was for $6k, I paid the rest in cash.

The decline of the strip club happened in 2013, and I always said it was because of Tinder. My club was in a military town and we had a ton of business from young army dudes, that fell off at the start of 2013 and pretty much stayed like that.

One day i googled it—Tinder was released in Fall of 2012.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    @scrub: thank you.

wrt your other points:

* people - seattle people are in general a strange combination of sjw liberal, entitled, and greedy. I say this as a liberal. i have some great people, but i've lived here most of my life and have found good ones. But in general, they're not great. So, I can't really argue with someone who wouldn't consider living here because of the people.

* the fucking traffic - again, hard to argue with. I work from home, and if I didn't I would never consider a job that require a cross-lake commute, or a commute from the suburbs. Again, not a problem for a well situated local, but a major hassle for newcomers.

* homeless - we have pretty much fucked this up. By trying to be tolerant, we've gotten ourselves a large permanent homeless population. City/State/County government dont seem to be able to spend their way out of it either. Seattleites generally feel that a society that can't house its poor and fuckups should do the right thing and solve the problem ethically. This has proven elusive. So, yeah the homeless are a big problem here. Of course once again not in my neighborhood, so it's a little easier for me to avoid.

* the fucking rain - webbed feet, etc.

* poor quality of life - this is subjective. For me, not at all. I like the bars, restaurants, job opportunities, music scene, extras clubs, water, mountains, parks, and access to the wilds of WA state. Most of my friends live here. For a sun loving conservative transplant? Hell on earth.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    @pink: nice to hear from someone on this thread who actually has some first hand information about the original question: “are the clubs slowing down".
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Washington is beautiful, but the people so awful it gets cancelled out because everything Washington has, also exists in other places; except the asinine liberal politics, disgusting homeless and crime.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Tetradon, the kinds of reasonable gov't spending involved in Build Back Better are not the cause of inflation. It is the EXTREME spending with no economic activity to back it up that the COVID bail out payments were. And all those did was to prop up the securities and real estate markets.

Build Back Better and the Green New Deal will always be paid for by recirculation and by upper income tax hikes. A net increase in gov't spending above and beyond taxation will not be there.

The COVID bail out money was not covered by tax hikes or, for the most part by recirculation. THis was completely reckless. It was when they started talking in Trillions instead of Billions. That was one hell of a lot of green ink on paper. So our currency has been devalued and this change is only starting to be felt.

Universal Basic Income will mean very large monthly payouts, but money given to poor people recirculates. YOu only need to raise taxes because it also fattens the fat, and only to the extent that that is happening.

SJG

https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=11283

Jane - School of Rock
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdWq4w8D…
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    And that is because of the reckless printing of money by the leadership of both parties, with no economic activity to back it up.

Stopping the economic squirrel cage meant something had to crash. It should have been the real estate and securities bubbles. But they instead decided to crash our currency. They printed money to cover expenditures beyond tax revenues at a level not seen since Weimar Germany. It was a stupid move to buy compliance with the COVID shut down.

SJG

Gimme Shelter
    School of Rock
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwlRGS0x…
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    These were all passed by both parties. Especially in the Senate the Dems could not have passed these alone. And Trump had to sign them.

SJG

School of Rock Students Perform "California Dreamin'" by The Mamas & The Papas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlG-vN8i…
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    Goddammit. Now my thread is SJG infested. Next Icee will be handing out ho management tips.

I’ve got the FRMOS blues.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Economics has a lot to do with what you have posted about. And underlying this were those radical wet ink payouts.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    "Goddammit. Now my thread is SJG infested"

@drew, sorry for contributing. I try to respect the OP's thread, but there's only so much mental retardation I can abide in silence.

Post at 6:30 pm PDT on Saturday or before a holiday, that's your best bet for a few SJG-free hours.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    "
    “are the clubs slowing down because of the huge burden of taxes in WA? the overwhelming homeless population in Seattle? the high crime rate has slowed down business? seattle has become a city over-run by drugs, crime and a cost of living that is simply not sustainable!”
    "

THis is a curious and very refutable contention, especially the part about tax burden.

SJG
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    @tetra: “ but there's only so much mental retardation I can abide in silence” AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    THere are a number of persons on the far right who post stuff, and then others who are drinking from the same well, who post total disinformation.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    ^ Speaking of people who repeat the same disinformation without any evidence.

I pity you, this website being one of your only sources of interaction with the outside world.

You fucked up your marriage, can't even afford a cell phone to access the net on Sundays and holidays.

What makes you think anyone takes you seriously on anything?
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    TetraDope, you spew your completely idiotic venom, obviously having nothing better to do. No one takes you seriously. I certainly don't.

SJG

https://tuscl.net/photo.php?id=3199
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    " obviously having nothing better to do"

LOL, how many hours a day are you on the site again?
    How many threads from how many years ago do you bump?
    Our saving grace is that the library closes in an hour, leaving you to harass the small children and animals of the South Bay.

Sorry, Drew, I did it again.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Tetradon, I consider terminating trolls to be a necessary and honorable part of life.

But the reason I'm not having to do it all day and night, is because I maintain a privacy wall. My F2F life is firewalled off from my online life.

SJG
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    ^^^ yeah okay Lloyd like nobody knows who the duck you really are.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Shailynn, you really are a pathetic fuck, having nothing to post about except attacks on our members.

SJG

"Heartless" - Heart - School of Rock
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkYYEV7…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion