tuscl

Window Tint.

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
Went to get my SUV serviced and needed an inspection sticker which is required in my state once a year. It’s a pretty lax one compared to other states. Are your tires and brakes in good shape? All turn signals, lights and horn work? That’s about it.

BUT yesterday they rejected me because of my window tint. In the front I was told it has to be 35% and mine is 13%. If you don’t know 35% is not very dark. I was told I could go as dark as I want on the rear windows. I was like WTF I’ve brought this SUV here for 5 years and you never said anything before??? Was told the state is cracking down. He told me “don’t bother going somewhere else because they cracked down on everyone around here.”

So now I’m going to have to have my tint ripped off and put lighter tint on. Yay me.

30 comments

• IfIGottaBeDamned
    2 years ago
    Just curious: Which state was this?
  • wallanon
    2 years ago
    Talk with your stripper friends. One of them will probably know a guy who can pass your car.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    Why would strippers know people at inspections….and why would those guys pass you…
  • wallanon
    2 years ago
    "Why would strippers know people at inspections"

That's a question, right? Aren't you a gearhead? Not today, sexy lady.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    Yeah and I worked in automotive for years, I’m also a stripper, and I know no one who works at the inspections office or anyone in the shops who wants to help a random dude pass an inspection…. 🤔🤔
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Probably should find online info about this:

https://texasjustice.com/blog/texas-car-….

SJG
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Pink, I am not just a random dude! Lol

• misterorange
    2 years ago
    Here in NJ vehicle inspection is a total joke. There are only TWO things they inspect: Emissions and whether the gas cap has a good seal. They couldn't care less if you're driving a 4000-lb deathmobile with bald tires, no breaks, a broken windshield and the rear bumper dragging on the ground about to fall off into traffic. All they check for is environmental concerns.

In NJ you might kill 10 people in a fiery highway crash, but dammit you will NOT emit one nanogram of pollution above the government limit.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    I would disagree that 35% is not very dark. That is blocking almost 2/3 of the light from getting through. Here in Ohio the limit for front side windows is 50% but we don't have any state inspections so the only time it comes up is if you get pulled over.

During the day or in a will lit part of town I doubt 65% tint would cause much trouble but in a rural area without street lights I could see 65% tint making it hard to see out of the window.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    How is the shop allowed to sell an illegal tint level? They should be fined for that. Or have to redo people's tint for free.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Icee they sell it the same way companies sell performance parts like NOS or catalytic converter delete kits that are illegal on the road. They classify it as "off-road use only" and say that it is intended to only be used on show vehicles, race cars or other off-road vehicles that aren't supposed to be driven on the streets.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT (Visible Light Transmission). Florida window tint laws restrict windshield tint to top AS-1 line. Front side windows may have 28% VLT, back side windows 15% VLT, and rear window 15% VLT.
    These rules vary from state to state, my understanding is the darkest tint available for automobile windows is 35% VLT and is not street legal in many places.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    When you get windows tinting it's always within legal parameters. If the shop didn't or the state doesn't uphold regulations its their fault.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ Not true at all, most tint shops will tell you the legally allowable tinting in the state where their business is located, if not they might be unethical, but there is there is no law about applying tint to your vehicle windows, the law is what is legal to drive on the roadways of that state, it is your responsibility to be in compliance.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    The law is you can't apply certain tint to a car that you're driving. The shop can't legally sell you something illegal.

Businesses need to be accountable
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ The tint's not illegal to sell, it's not illegal to apply it, it's not illegal to own it, the only thing that's illegal is driving on a public roadway with tint that dark, on your windows. Exactly what does this imaginary business need to be accountable for?
    Why is it necessary to always be a jerk, this is how we come to a consensus that you're stupid.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Icee the way the laws are written it isn't the tint that is illegal, it is driving a car with excessive tint on public roads that is illegal. A lot of show cars at events like SEMA use tint that is beyond the legal limit for use on the road, but they get hauled to the show on a trailer. The tint is legal to buy, sell and install but it is illegal to drive it on public roads.

It's no different than an exhaust system that doesn't have catalytic converters or mufflers and no different than NOS. Both are legal to put on a car and use on a racetrack but illegal to use on public streets.

If someone uses a legal product in an illegal way that is there fault not the seller's fault. Just like if a shop legally sells someone a gun and that person uses it to rob a liquor store it isn't the fault of the shop that sold the gun.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    The minimum liability they have is to tell you whats legal.

If he knew and still did it it's on him. But in some states it's more regulated than others
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Well I will say this about the shop that did my tint.

I’ve had my tint the same for the past decade on probably 6 different cars. Nobody ever said a word and they all always passed inspection because nobody cared. A year or so ago I got a scratch on one of my windows so I had (another shop) retint the front driver and passenger doors. At the time they were trying to talk me into tinting my entire front window. I was like WTF!?!? I have never even seen that done in my part of the world. Yes I know some people do it in other states but here? No way.

As for the place that does the inspections being on “probation” that’s a big deal, if they lose the right to perform state inspections then they will lose a ton of business because people come in to get their vehicles inspected and then they need repairs (new tires, brakes) which other than oil changes and minor suspension work that’s all this shop does, tires and brakes. If they have no inspection license available a lot less tires and brakes are going to be installed/sold. If they pass me for inspection, and I get pulled over, and the cop says my windows are too dark, they’ll look up where I got my vehicle inspected and go back to penalize them as well.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    The shop can absolutely sell you whatever you want, we put limo tint on cars all the time bc we don’t get the ticket and it’s what the customer wanted.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    Look at Icee doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling down in his stance about illegal tint shops even though everyone else on here is in consensus that the shoos can and do tint above the limits. What a dumb fucker!
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    It's normal to be outraged by unethical businesses.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    I roll down some windows on my car when I need to because the tint is too dark for me to see in SOME situations.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    In some states they're legally required to tell you what's legal. I know places that won't sell you anything not street legal when it's for a daily car.

We need more oversight in general. Like make gun stores accountable if a gun they sell is used in a crime.

We need to stop defending 7nethical practices
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    >>It's normal to be outraged by unethical businesses.<<

Yeah right this what I want to spend my days and nights obsessing about LULZ
    What a fucking loser.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    Just spring for the AC vented seats, it's worth it. I know several folks who have gotten in bad collisions because their dark tint prevented them from seeing vehicles in adjacent lanes. Colors like grey and that nissan maroon disappear into the roadway when driving at twilight or night with dark-tinted windows. Some laws exist for a reason.
  • Dolfan
    2 years ago
    I've had illegal tints on my trucks for 25 years or so. I plan to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. I've received one ticket for it, cost me about 100-150 bucks. Around what it would have cost to re-tint. I think I had the option to correct it within 72 hours and submit for inspection and they would have waived or reduced the fine significantly. I remember the clerk asking me if I corrected it when I went to pay, then laughing when I gave her look that clearly said fuck no.

The shops always show me the front/rear legal samples, but they're always more than willing to just put the rear legal stuff on all the windows so it matches, but is illegal. There's nothing unethical about them doing it in my mind. Even if they didn't tell me, it wouldn't be unethical. It only crosses that line if I ask what's legal and they lie to me to sell me a more expensive product. If they're wrong and tell me what they are applying is legal and it's not, it's not unethical its just incompetent.

I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't do annual vehicle inspections. I've got several vehicles that would never pass inspection, one truck with bumpers too low, another with headlights too high, a couple with exhaust that's not even close to legal, one with track tires, etc. Not to mention the hassle of going every year and them randomly deciding something they passed inspection on previously is now suddenly noticed as being out of compliance.
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Icee how did you spell unethical as 7nethical or is there another meaning to that
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Dolfan the biggest issue with those annual vehicle inspections is giving mechanic shops the ability to decide on pass or fail. It brings out the absolute worst in society, with all these subhuman mechanics refusing to pass you unless you get a few hundred dollars of work done or more. You can often take the car to three different shops and each shop will find something new and different you supposedly need to repair. Some inspectors will literally pass your inspection if you pay them $20 or $40 lol. It’s laughable.
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    I jusr read through the thread, this is laughable, as usual icee found a moral problem now with shops selling window tint
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion