Strippers say a recession is guaranteed

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Wednesday, May 25, 2022 1:25 PM
Full story & photos: [view link]

76 comments

• mark94
    2 years ago
    I’m a daytime customer. My guess is that nightshifts at clubs ( fueled by young partiers ) will take a bigger hit than day shifts ( with older clientele).
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    Pretty much what we were talking about in this thread the other day: [view link] The consensus seems to be that clubs are slowing down in a number of areas. It makes sense I suppose. When budgets are squeezed in so many other areas, discretionary spending on things like strip clubs are the first thing to go. I'm sure that the hits experienced by stock market portfolios recently aren't helping either.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Most clubs don't have dayshifts now. And ones that do aren't profitable. And of course a recession is coming. Coz biden helped the rich instead of enacting targeted price controls.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Let’s do an experiment. Have a club institute price controls so dances are $5. See how many dancers show up for work the next day.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    And let's make them employees and pay them $19 and hour. Plus tips. Like in LA.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Targeted price controls were the biggest failure, among the thousands of failures of Jimmy the retard Carter. Only a fucking asswipe with no knowledge of history would suggest bringing them back. A recession is bad for many, but good for those who make money no matter what. Pretty soon 2-2 dances will come back, and prices will drop for the cr. On a side note, the past 4+ months have been my best ever and business keeps climbing.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Targeted price controls were actually a feature of Richard Nixon, then Gerry Ford, Carter was a failure for other reasons
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    2 years ago
    With regard to predicting a recession, there are strippers that I trust more than most of the talking-head economists on TV.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    It’s reached a point where most economists in media are really political operatives.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    From my vantage point it seems that all retailing, even restaurants, are really slow. Probably slowness at strip clubs is the result of this. SJG
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    “And let's make them employees and pay them $19 and hour. Plus tips.” I know about zero dancers that would take you up in that offer. So there gonna make about $160 plus tips. The independent contractors I know make that in an hour
  • JimGassagain
    2 years ago
    Yet SJG, the retailers just reported higher than normal sales year over year just this week. Maybe if you weren’t reliant on public services so much you would venture out into retail land and spend some of your $$ on purchases and you’d see that for yourself. Hell, I think someone on this sight has even offered to buy you a bunch of lap dances and yiu refused. I think you’re anti-establishment in any manner whatsoever it is, SJG, even if it’s paying for dances or dancers. Bacon!!
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    CA AB-5 is going to destroy independent contractor status, and retail strip clubs. Need to go to the Private Party / Membership Club model. No other choice. SJG
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    JimGassagain you stupid idiot, I am in retail land regularly. And I qualified my statement as being what I see from my vantage point. A lot of stuff is really slow, and the merchants have affirmed my observation. SJG
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Walmart and Target, among others, have recently reported on quarterly earning. No, their revenue didn’t fall off a cliff. It was the mix of sales that spooked the market. Essential goods are still selling but non-essential goods are not. Best Buy was a good example of this. Consumers delaying non-essential purchases is associated with recession.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Mark. Politics aside you really seem to understand the economy. What do you think the odds of an actual depression are?
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "Essential goods are still selling but non-essential goods are not. Best Buy was a good example of this. Consumers delaying non-essential purchases is associated with recession." This. It will probably take quite some time before this seriously impacts labor market given its tightness, but the writing is on the wall. Heck the average age of a car on the road is now 12.2 years, which is a new record.
  • georgmicrodong
    2 years ago
    Recreational vehicle sales are the <em>real</em> indicator of economic health.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    ^ and so how are they doing? SJG
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    The Tech industry ( also known as the industry where no one cared about profits ) is pulling back and laying off people. Other sectors of the economy will follow. We are in a recession right now. It’s impossible to know how deep it will go and how bad inflation will get. There are so many actions by the Fed, the Federal government, Russia, China, Ukraine, etc that will influence our future. As Harold McMillan said what worried him as Prime Minister. “ Events,dear boy, events”.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "We are in a recession right now." Idk if I'd go that far just yet. There's still a lot of money sloshing around in the system, including massive state and municipal budget surpluses. Maybe we are, but it seems a little early to make that call. There's a lot of economic activity happening outside of the retail landscape.
  • JimGassagain
    2 years ago
    It would be mild. Bacon!!
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    icee "And let's make them employees and pay them $19 and hour. Plus tips. Like in LA." $19 an hour would be a bargain compared to $20 for 3 minutes.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Last night at desires dancers outnumbered customers 1.25/1. Basic booth dances were the busiest I think I have ever seen, while there were crickets in the CR. I had the under, which was hotter than any dancer lol.
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    I've had some long-time strippers tell me over the years that strip clubs never really completely recovered from the 2008 recession. I saw a statistic once that the peak number of clubs was before 2008. Here in Indianapolis strip clubs went from 20 in 2010 to 14 now. This recession is likely to be worse than the 2008 recession. The federal government had a ten trillion-dollar debt then. Now it is thirty trillion dollars. To kill inflation, you will need to raise the interest rate to a higher level than the inflation rate. This is what Volcker did in the eighties. If we raise the interest rate to 10% then that is a three trillion dollar a year interest payment on the federal debt. This is happening at the same time all the Boomers are retiring and Social Security/ Medicare spending is increasing while tax receipts are dropping. There is not going to be government bailouts this time like in 2008 because the money isn't there. We may have a full blown depression.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Well said Doc. I’m afraid you may be right.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    From my point of view the heyday of strip clubs was 1996-2006. Jam packed all the time, with many more open than nowadays. It was just a better financial time. In fact, cigars have always been associated with financial good times/excess and if people recall, even convenience stores had small humidors. Every package store (liquor) around here had walk in humidors. Now it's down to just one in the area, instead of 75. Until this country revives manufacturing the wealth gap will widen. Of course, importing poor, illiterate foreigners will make things worse, because they will never attain the skills needed to earn a decent income.
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    ===> "If we raise the interest rate to 10% then that is a three trillion dollar a year interest payment on the federal debt." LOL. For starters that only applies to new debt issuances. Existing debt pays at whatever historical rate it was issued at, in most cases south of 3% Moreover the Fed holds about 9 of that 30 trillion and remits excess profits back to the Treasury. But I do agree that it will definitely increase interest expenses for the government by a lot. Old debt issuances need to be rolled over and the federal government keeps running big deficits requiring new debt. Maybe just not by $3 trillion worth of interest. ;)
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    The problem with all of these assumptions is the government owns the printing press as far as they’re concerned the interest rate is irrelevant. The more they print the more they earn from interest. I know it sounds trite, but they don’t ever pay bills the way they operate this country, y’all are the ones paying.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    The current federal debt is equal to $210,000 for every taxpayer. If interest reaches 10%, the first $21,000 of taxes you pay every year simply covers the interest for that year. The federal budget for this year, excluding interest payment on debt, is $5.7 Trillion ( over half that is for Social Security and Medicare ). That works out to $40,000 for every taxpayer. The actual revenue the government takes in from individual and business taxes is under $30,000 per taxpayer. The printing presses cover the shortfall. That’s the financial obligation we have for the rest of our lives. About $60,000 per year. That’s why we have inflation. We are essentially making the minimum payment on our credit card while we go on a spending spree.
  • PinkSugarDoll
    2 years ago
    I have said this before, strip clubs did not recover after the recession but not because of the recession. Tinder launched in 2012 and that crushed strip clubs. I am irritated, I feel nothing has changed much in the world from this week to last besides the use of the word “recession” in the media and on social media and fear mongering is going to empty the club. Thx, media.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    I attended my congressman’s town hall many years ago. Everyone in the room was Republican. Most comments from the constituents were a variation on: “ We need to cut government spending but don’t cut the programs that benefit me” That, my friends, explains why we are in deep shit”
  • Dolfan
    2 years ago
    “We need to cut government spending but don’t cut the programs that benefit me” <-- That sentiment is pretty common regardless of political affiliation. It does make sense to me that strip clubs could be leading indicators of discretionary spending, but you could make some arguments that it's not reliable. The first argument against the unreliability being like PSD said, there's plenty of other factors affecting strip clubs. Also, strip club spenders might not be the most typical group, at least in my perception. They're often irresponsible youngsters blowing cash before they even consider their obligations. Or, they're well-off and small expenditures like that aren't impacted by minor economic turns. Looking at other discretionary spend items with broader appeal might be better indicators. I just wonder what this means for strip clubs, is it a good thing for customers that demand may dry up resulting in better value? Or will strip clubs do the bizzaro world thing and increase prices, driving down value? Will quality increase if prices go up? Or decrease in a race to the bottom?
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Economic cycles squeeze inefficient companies with outdated business models out of business. When things get better, that capacity is rebuilt but not in the same way. If we lose half our strip clubs, something will eventually replace them. I just don’t know with what. I think that’s what PSD was saying.
  • From978
    2 years ago
    @Mark has it exactly right. The one policy supported by Democrats and Republicans is, "If we just stopped giving money to those other deadbeats, and gave it to me, the country would be fine."
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    We need to replace strip clubs with Private Party / Membership Club venues. SJG
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    A Twitter user asked Elon Musk, "Do you still think we're approaching a recession?" "Yes, but this is actually a good thing," the Tesla CEO responded. "It has been raining money on fools for too long. Some bankruptcies need to happen."
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Musk is a moron with money. He pays people to think and just needs to stfu.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    The mistake a lot of you make us making it purely ideological and fanboying corporate greed. Most Americans care about their well-being. People would welcome price controls. Just like they welcomed child credits stimulus checks expanded ui eviction moratoriums. They don't care where the help comes from or why as long as it does. Be on the right side of the class war
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    It's hard to tell how much of the customer decline is due to the economy, how much is due to new technologies like Tinder and so on. One false assumption people sometimes make is that there is a free market operating in the strip club industry. It is extremely difficult to open a new strip club in most cities. I have no proof of this at all but there is a possibility of local politicians making under the table deals with existing strip clubs to block potential competition. Even without such a deal, current strip club owners benefit from the situation we have now. Little competition, though, leads to declining overall quality of strip clubs. Eventually this leads to fewer strip club visitors. If it was easier to start a new strip club, more new clubs would be built and many of them would drive poorly run currently existing strip clubs out of business. That would improve strip club quality and lead to more business for the industry as a whole.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ actually it’s a pretty cash intensive business, if you have legit cash there are much more lucrative returns available, historically strip clubs were started when money from illegitimate sources was used and laundered, nowadays there are less scrutinized vehicles available to launder money.
  • georgmicrodong
    2 years ago
    “The RV Industry Association said it expects the total number of new RV shipments in 2022 to be about 591100, a 1.5 percent drop from 2021.” Not enough to make prices go down significantly, but enough to keep them from going up. [view link]
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “It is extremely difficult to open a new strip club in most cities.“ That’s the way it was with taxi cab medallions……until Uber disrupted everything.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “People would welcome price controls. Just like they welcomed child credits stimulus checks expanded ui eviction moratoriums“ Do you want to know how inflation reached double digits ? This. Spending trillions that the government doesn’t have. Then, intervening to benefit one class of people ( people who don’t pay their bills ) over another ( landlords ). That’s how you fuck up an economy.
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    "Actually it’s a pretty cash intensive business, if you have legit cash there are much more lucrative returns available ..." If there are more lucrative returns in business A than business B, then there will be more new entrants in business A. This will then drive down profits in business A. High profits are only temporary unless the government becomes involved. You can see this currently with the oil industry. The oil industry is currently making very high profits from high oil prices. Normally, this would attract new inflows of investment to increase production of oil which would then drive down prices. However, the government has given no new permits for large oil refineries since 1977. This government intervention is helping to cause high oil prices. It's not just "greedy corporations" involved here.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ that’s all true, but my point was simply there are better places to get a return from your investments that are less complicated than relying on the good will of the political class, but sure I agree as far as that goes.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    There are some businesses where the owner gets non-financial benefit from ownership. Strip clubs. Professional sports franchises. Entertainment industry. Space X. Restaurants. Newspapers. Conventional investment theory doesn’t apply.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “Most Americans……” I think what you really mean is “ Americans like me who want the government to pay our bills”
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ and you notice that those business owners are generally incredibly rich, and on that list the only group that isn’t making the money they used to are the newspapers and they’ve been divesting themselves for the last number of years I strongly disagree that conventional theory doesn’t apply.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “I strongly disagree that conventional theory doesn’t apply.“ Conventional investment theory says you invest in things that are expected to make you the most money. My claim is some businesses are purchased for reasons other than this. Just what exactly is it you disagree with ?
  • docsavage
    2 years ago
    "^ that’s all true, but my point was simply there are better places to get a return from your investments that are less complicated than relying on the good will of the political class, but sure I agree as far as that goes." I agree completely. I was just thinking, in addition to the government, strip clubs may be the type of business organized crime might sometimes be involved in. If I was an investor, I would stay far away if I found out that were the case. It's too bad for us strip club lovers the government is involved here. Our local Indianapolis government shut down a strip club in my suburban area using zoning laws. I'm stuck with going into increasingly bad parts of town to visit a strip club. We also have a growing Hispanic population and there have been a couple of attempts to start a Hispanic strip club nearby but the government won't give the necessary licenses. I like Hispanic dancers and would go there myself if we had one.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “ If I was an investor, I would stay far away if I found out that were the case. “ Like the restaurant in Goodfellas. RIP Ray Liotta.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    @ Mak I don’t believe that these fabulously wealthy folks investing in businesses that you described would be putting the amount of dollars into these things just for perceived non financial benefits it’s goes back to the old saying about it’s the principle that I’m standing for, but I still want to get paid.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Go fuck yourself shrub you stupid twat Big fuckn deal my autocorrect changed Mark to Mak
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Mark the private sector you defend so much has no problem with government handouts and corporate welfare. You'd rather see them benefit from tax dollars than the average American. Americans don't think like that.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    “You'd rather see them benefit from tax dollars than the average American.” 1. No, I wouldn’t. 2. Let’s not forget that allowing people and companies to keep some of the money they earned is not a government handout. It’s not the governments money.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Corporate welfare is a handout. They don't need it. Meanwhile people who do get scraps and pennies
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    A new survey reveals that clear majorities of American families, concerned about the rising costs of inflation, are being forced to cancel their summer vacation plans. According to The Center Square, the poll from Echelon Insights shows that “75% of parents say they are concerned about the rising cost of everyday purchases like food or gas.” Inflation has reached new highs not seen in over 40 years, affecting the costs of everything from gasoline to groceries. The survey also asked if inflation has “caused you to change any of your plans for what your children will do this summer?” Of the respondents, 57 percent said yes, while just 37 percent said no. In addition, 51 percent of families said that they ultimately “changed or canceled plans for a family trip,” with another 41 percent saying that they “changed or canceled activities for my children like camp or extracurricular activities” due to inflation.
  • From978
    2 years ago
    1. "Changed" can be anything. You can't read "changed or cancelled" and think "cancelled." 2. Plans are not actions. In my experience doing surveys, even after-the-fact reports are often not actions.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    If inflation caused you to change or cancel your vacation, I don’t think anyone decided to spend more money. The point is, people are reacting to inflation. They are spending less on non essentials. This survey is just further proof of that. How bad will this get ? No one knows.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Do families even take summer vacations anymore? Sending kids to camp? That's rich people shit. People are just struggling to put food on the table and to afford to drive to their shitty jobs
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    It will get bad. Even drug dealers are hurting. And you're seeing less people smoking weed everywhere. They can't afford it. No more lines at dispensaries lulz
  • 8TM
    2 years ago
    I went a clubbing binge this week including some TUSCL favorites, and let’s just say I didn’t have any problems finding a seat or waiting for the dancer I wanted in any of the clubs.
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Icee why are drug dealers hurting. Docsavage, do you think strip club managers pocket some of the cash given for dances? How would the person watching the camera know if they were paid for a 30 minute dance or 15 minutes etc?
  • orionsmith
    2 years ago
    Thanks for the topic. Went to 2 clubs last week and both pretty dead before 10 pm. Might be busier with Nascar race nearby.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Seems to be that a recession is upon us, economy is collapsing from the bottom and middle. SJG
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ but as long as the library is open your life doesn’t change very much, does it?
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    25 and as long as your pregnancy continues, you life is not about much else. SJG
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ That’s stupid even for you
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Are you a drinking alcoholic 25? You seem to have these crazy mood swings and you end up trying to pick fights with people for no reason. SJG
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Drug dealers are hurting because their income stream is based on others having a disposable income. Drug selling is changing. For example at strip clubs. Instead of dealers making rounds. Someone...an employee or dancer will bring a little coke or buy a little. Then will resell small bumps to others. It used to be common for girls to snort 4 grams and pop Molly during a shift. It's not as common. But I'm all for less Drug use. You see it in Vegas. Tourists sticking to cheap alcohol. Not nearly as much weed being smoked openly. A dangerous shift is meth and crack being used as party drugs. And people being stupid and using cheaper drugs that are laced with fentanyl. Even on a higher level. More Drug sales are being done on credit. The thing with official stats is that cops lie about Drug value so they can increase charges. And Drug dealers always lie about how much they make. I think the fentanyl epidemic will get worse. Those on other drugs will use it more as it becomes cheaper to get than other drugs for dealers. We're already seeing people trying it coz they couldn't get other drugs.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I’m not picking any fight you responded to me very disrespectfully so I answered you in kind you are starting to play Iceefags game now, everyone else is trolling because you can’t get things your own way
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    And while weed prices are high. On one hand you see empty dispensaries now. But also sales like 70% off flower. 50% off edibles. Ounces for $200. So they can move their inventory.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    And you still don't see crowds. And there's a surplus of illegal weed.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    ^ interesting SJG
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^ Unlike you despite what you may think, CREEPO
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion