tuscl

The Cost of a Piece of Meat !

Warrior15
Anywhere there are Titties.
Sunday, May 8, 2022 2:09 PM
No, I'm not talking about buying a woman for sex. I'm talking steak. Took the wife out to dinner last night. It was our anniversary and I was being the good husband. Took her to Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse in Nashville. I think the original one is in Louisville. The place is great. Service was excellent. We reserved a table in the bar where they have live entertainment. In Nashville, there is no short supply of talented musicians and singers. Food is very good. Excellent wine selection. Just dont' look at the prices. Each of us ordered an 8 oz Fllet. $58 ala carte. They did have a smaller 6 oz Filet but that one was wagyu. $168. WTF ?!? For a 6 oz piece of beef ? Sides cost extra. We went with house wines, no appetizers, no dessert, shared two sides. The total cost with tip was over $300. But Brandon says inflation is Putin's fault, right ? Maybe I'll go back to raising my own cattle.

67 comments

• motorhead
    2 years ago
    Taco Bell used to be a good spot to hit after closing the club at 2 am. You could get a bag of food for $7-$8 Now it’s easily double
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    I'm eating much more at home now in an attempt to not spend so much on food.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Ouch! Last night I cooked 2 fillets on my stove in a skillet. It was pouring rain and cold so didn’t feel like going out. I finally threw my grill away last summer (didn’t use it enough and a damn squirrel nested in it all winter) so I do all my cooking on stove top now. Tried a new recipe last night and it was excellent. 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning 2 tablespoons soy sauce 1/2 cup oil Threw the steaks in a Tupperware container shook it real good with the marinate and let it sit for 30 minutes. On medium heat 4 minutes one side 2 minutes other side perfect medium done steak. The marinate coated the steak so didn’t have to worry about scorch. Those 2 fillets set me back about $17 from the grocery store! But I didn’t have live music.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    It’s crazy how the prices of things have shot up over the past 6 months or so. It must be brutal for those folks who were barely getting by (before this Brandon mess). This reminds me of the Carter years (when Ed Koch was the mayor of NYC). Things just went to shit. Prices were on the rise - inflation was out of control - and interest rates were too high. Back then, it felt like we could do nothing, and that sucked. Our enemies knew it, and they fucked us over. It seemed that criminals had more rights than law abiding citizens. This is a bad way to run a country - and it’s largest city. I hope a change for the better is coming.
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Jeff Ruby's restaurants have always been high end and way more expensive than most other steakhouse around them. That has been true ever since he opened his first steakhouse in Cincinnati in the early 80's. I remember taking my prom date to his restaurant back in 2000 and it was about $75 for the two of us and that was more than 20 years ago. Interesting fact about Jeff Ruby, he 1st made a name for himself by turning the bar he managed at a Holiday Inn into a Playboy Club type of place known as the "Den of Little Foxes" that was very popular with the players from the Cincinnati Reds like Pete Rose and Johnny Bench back in the early to mid 70s. From the stories I have heard it was a place that the TUSCL crowd would have enjoyed. His daughter Brittany is running the business now. She was an absolute smokeshow when she was a waitress back in the late 90s and early 2000s and she has turned into a very hot milf.
  • From978
    2 years ago
    I think Shailynn is on to something here. I checked steak prices at my local grocery, and they top out at $28 per pound, so perhaps 25% of the dinner price was for ingredients, and the rest was for the establishment and employees. Basically, what we have here is a guy who eats $300 meals complaining that the workers who prepared them are overpaid.
  • CJKent_band
    2 years ago
    Inflation is just the reality of greed and inhumanity caused by greedy businesses in capitalist societies that raise prices to increase profits. The undeniable truth is that corporate greed and politicians criminal complicity is why prices are higher. Immoral, illegal, criminal and anti-competitive behavior in all industries are providing record-high corporate profits as corporations profit by gouging the American people. Corporations/robbers-barons are always out to make a buck. That’s their only objective in their existence; that was true a century ago, a decade ago and last year, it is the capitalist reality of the USA. The undeniable fact is that American Capitalism was built on the exploitation and suffering of black slaves and the poor people of any color and continues to thrive on the exploitation of the poor people, of any color, here and abroad. “It is the sufferings of the many which pay for the luxuries of the few.” ~ Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg ~ Born: 3rd January 2003 Stockholm, Sweden ~ Occupation: Student, environmental activist Awards: ~ Fritt Ord Award (2019) ~ Rachel Carson Prize (2019) ~ Ambassador of Conscience Award (2019) ~ Right Livelihood Award (2019) ~ International Children's Peace Prize (2019) ~ Time Person of the Year (2019) ~ Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity (2020)
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    I googled it Warrior looks like a lot of the price might be the ambiance. I’m eating out less and less, fuck this it’s not worth it. These hero’s went from around $10 to around $15 soon to be around $20.
  • SanchoRG
    2 years ago
    Paying $58 for an 8 oz steak ain't Biden's fault lol. Good beef is seriously expensive these days though. Costco is still the best bang for the buck when it comes to red meat
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    TBH, inflation is worldwide and even more ubiquitous over seas. Since all central banks from other countries can manipulate and print more of their currency this is what we’ve seen, the diluted value of currencies worldwide. Market forces will balance it our over time, either prices will come back down or wages will go up. That steak probably won’t come down much, but prices will stay elevated but not increase any more than where they sit.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I once paid like $500 for 6 oz of wagyu. And $58 for a small steak has been yhe norm for years. And inflation bis just businesses scrambling for a huge short term profit surge during a crisis
  • jackslash
    2 years ago
    This sounds like an Arby's night.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    I just saw an ad for canned ground beef. I'd never heard of it. Keystone Meats All Natural Ground Beef, 28 Ounce Visit the Keystone Meats Store 4.3 out of 5 stars 1,132 ratings | 55 answered questions Amazon's Choice in Ground Beef by Keystone Meats $26.24 ($0.94 / Ounce) Get $50 off instantly: Pay $0.00 $26.24 upon approval for the Amazon Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee. Available at a lower price from other sellers that may not offer free Prime shipping. Size: 1.75 Pound (Pack of 1) .10 pack - 1.75 Pound (Pack of 1) 1.75 Pound (Pack of 1) $26.24 ($0.94 / Ounce) Brand Keystone Meats Size 1.75 Pound (Pack of 1) Flavor Beef Weight 28 Ounces Protein 11 Grams
  • crazyjoe
    2 years ago
    I agree with Meat72. The inflarion issue is worldwide. We are at the convergence of many cycles at the same time. We will see either hyperinflation or severe deflation before everything settles out.
  • crazyjoe
    2 years ago
    The cause of the inflation is more than just the current president. It is a result of decades of bad leadership.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    It has to be full of preservatives and a soy filler for texture
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Going out to eat usually for me is one of 3 reasons: 1. I'm on the road and I don't have access to a kitchen (which then means I am dining in or doing take-out) 2. I'm too busy to cook so I say "screw it I'll run in here and get something to eat or get take-out." 3. I am going out with the wife or friends or even sometimes alone to enjoy a nice meal after a stressful week, day at work, etc. In that case the ambiance tends to be almost half the enjoyment of the meal. NOTE - if its Saturday night and my wife gets dressed up and I take her out for a nice meal, I'm much more likely to get laid when the night comes to a close than if I order a pizza or make something and we're in our sweat pants on the couch.
  • Elitis
    2 years ago
    You can't put a price on a piece of real, Japanese-imported Wagyu steak. There is no better piece of meat in the world.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Having to prep your wife for sex is sad af.
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    ^ I like wagyu also. But the first time I had it, the normal filet at that restaurant was about $40 and the wagyu version was about $60. So a 50% premium over the US product. But this went from 58 to 168 for 2 ounces less. That is more than tripling the price over the US steak. If both the wife and I had gotten the wagyu, then our total meal cost would have been over $500. And in the end, I'm still going home with the wife. I guess that is another subject. :-).
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I hate to say this but whoever supplies Peter Lugers with their meat has Wagyu beat by a mile in my estimation
  • TheElmerFudd
    2 years ago
    I like wagyu but agree they are overrated Lugers steak hasn’t been the same in recent years imo
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ I was there in March our porterhouse was delish
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Real Japanese wagyu really is the best beef I've eaten. Like the grade 5 stuff. But it's really expensive. Like $500 for 6oz.
  • georgmicrodong
    2 years ago
    I echo whodey, Jeff Ruby's has always been expensive. I've never been disappointed in the food, service, or ambiance though. Talk about a completely relaxing and wholly pleasurable dining experience.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    I barely eat out anymore because I don't like getting price gouged and getting halfway decent service flew out the window too. So I'm cooking at home more but as I'm sure many of you know grocery prices have risen in the past few months, huge price increases in some instances. I can handle increases in other situations but grocery, gas, and energy rate increases do piss me off.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Theosu is right. I've changed my spending habits completely not coz of affordability but I refuse to get price gouged. I have 4 restaurants that I go to and that's it. If people would stop putting up with it and boycotted buying anything but yhe absolute necessities prices would go down. But too many are stupid and keep paying whatever they can get out of us
  • bluejacketsguy
    2 years ago
    Lets face it going out to eat a steak(at a reputable place) has always been crazy expensive, but now I mean even to buy a steak to cook yourself is getting ridiculously expensive which will just drive the price even higher at that steak house. I mean a damn good steak could be worth it, but unless you're just rolling in cash the sticker shock is crazy anymore.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    One of the mains reasons I eat out less is I’ve learned to cook more “exotic” dishes during COVID many of which are restaurant quality IMO. I guess that’s one positive thing to come out of COVID for me. Seriously though with all the cooking websites, YouTube videos and all these relatively new cooking devices (sous vide, pressure coookers, air fryers) you can whip up some pretty amazing dishes with little effort.
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    I got da instant pot in da shit truck! I make rice and bean tacos
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    I wouldn't pay dat much for a steak. I a better negotiable Dan you warrior. I woulda paid $20 same as da lot lizard. No inflation's affecting me
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    I make better food than most restaurants. But think it's more about their quality getting worse than my cooking getting better
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    When you go to a nice restaurant it's supposed to be about the whole experience. When it comes to something like expensive prime beef, it's also supposed to be about something that us schmucks couldn't buy in grocery stores or warehouse clubs even if we wanted to. I don't feel remotely bad about going to an expensive restaurant if I have a good reason to. I also don't feel bad about treating myself to a decent steak at home when I can find one in the stores worth buying. I'm already depriving myself of a lot for health reasons. The only time I feel burned is when I pay good money for what ends up being a shitty piece of meat. The worst I ever experienced this was in a high-end steakhouse in Milwaukee. My very expensive rib-eye had a thick vein of gristle in it. I couldn't fucking believe it.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Even if you could buy meat similar in quality to one of the great steakhouses very few people have the capacity to cook it like in a restaurant where their ovens are able to achieve temperatures double what all but the most expensive home kitchens can, and most of the great steak places have professional servers that have been there for decades adding to the experience of going out to a great dinner or meal.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    We simply don't like steak enough to go out for it since the Wife is an amazing cook and cooks a great steak. We find cooking it in a super-hot cast iron skillet gets it as close to steakhouse as you can at home, and even closer if you slather it with butter and salt, which they do and don't tell you. Our anniversary was paella and shot ribs at a Portuguese place in New Bedford. $120 with desert, wine and appetizers with dinner.
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    I bought a quarter beef from a local farmer before the latest round on inflation and am enjoying the last cuts right now. I don’t eat a lot of beef so the sticker shock is real but the impact isn’t huge for me because I go out to a good steakhouse about once a year. Anything short of a good steakhouse is a hard pass for me.
  • crazyjoe
    2 years ago
    I have never been big on going to high end steak houses in Colorado. I would not recommend steak in Colorado in general. I once had a porterhouse steak at Morton's and it was tied or even slightly edged out by the steak in a sirloin kabob I ate at a Saltgrass Steakhouse in Texas. Not worth spending the money here. I have two friends that are great at grilling steaks on charcoal. Both of them can beat any steakhouse in Denver. If you are going to go for meats in Denver the best options are bbq pork or Chicken Wings. It is hard to best either of those anywhere else I have been.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I thought you guys go to Arby’s I’ve heard they got the meats. 😄😃
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Are there different types of wagyu? Costco sold it at $10 a pound. WHats special about the $300 a pound stuff...?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Most expensive restaurants use Cysco produce and hire undocumented Americans with no experience just like cheaper ones. You're paying for the branding. The secret to high end steakhouses is their kitchen equipment. That's it.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    If you are undocumented, you are a fucking piece of shit criminal illegal alient and should be shot and then deported
  • whodey
    2 years ago
    Big Third Eye yes there are vast differences in the different grades of Wagyu beef. Just like normal beef can range from US Prime down to US Canner grade there are grades of Wagyu ( [view link] ) and the higher grades cost more. That's no different than how a low grade steak from a discount grocery is never going to be the same as a high grade steak from a high end butcher no matter how you cook it.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    Skibun the businesses you support love cheap illegal labor
  • SuperDude
    2 years ago
    All economic theories are subject to fact checking and proof. One current theory is that the war in Ukraine is causing a shortage of grain in major markets in Europe and North Africa; therefore the price of grain, worldwide, is up dramatically. Cattle feed prices have jumped. The cost of steak follows the increase in grain and cattle feed prices. We'll see.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Icee cum stain the businesses I support? I buy things; that's all.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    Skibum is right, the trick is to be a great cook so you can eat well without going out. We had filet and lobster tail last night just because. Between Bidenflation and the gross lack of worth ethic in the market today, it has been a long time since I felt I got my money's worth while dining out. I'm not talking about Red Robin or P.F. Chang's either. I mean Farmer's Market in Fort Myers, Columbiana in Ybor City, even Commander's Palace and Emeril's in New Orleans failed to impress me. Give me an honest butcher, organic farmer's markets, or quality fresh fishmonger, and I'll have you asking "Who is Ruths Chris"?
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Who the FUCK is so stupid that they think all HOUSE WINE is bad. I get it: some stupid, know nothing, acting like a man.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    House wine is usually disgusting. At least upgrade to a wine pairing.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Lmao @ you both. The two poorest members are oenophiles lol. My, how utterly and gayly pretentious. Strawberry or chocloate Quick?
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    I went grocery shopping today, eggs were on my list. They've been increasing in price recently but today was different. A dozen reglular large eggs had almost doubled in price from last week. Yeah I can afford them but the increase from last week pissed me off so I didn't buy them. I do make omelets often so when I'm in the store again next week I'll probably end up buying them anyway but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not happy about it.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    2 years ago
    People need to boycott stores. No reason eggs should cost like $8 or bread $6. Milk for $5.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    There is almost nothing as easy to replace as store bought eggs, if you have the space. I know city dwellers and TUSCL'ers in HOA communities probably don't, but you can raise chickens on as little as a standard 1/4 acre lot without sacrificing much space. I'm sitting on much more than that, and I was able to set up an insulated coop with wire, feed, rosemary water system (antimicrobial), three hens, heat lamp, summer ventilation, and everything for under $1,000 and about 120sf. Cats and other predators stay away because of my dogs. No roosters, my neighbor two doors down copied me and kicked it up with a rooster and the guy in between us wants to shoot the cock. I trade eggs with my other neighbor who has an extensive organic garden (lettuce, tomatoes, mangos, papayas, onions, and more). You can't get fresher eggs, and you notice the difference.
  • shadowcat
    2 years ago
    Eggs at my local Kroger are $1.89 for a dozen grade "A" eggs. I eat about3 a week. I don't have dogs and there a a couple of feral cats roaming the neighborhood. So I think I'll pass on farming. My ex wife's parents had a plot of land in southern Mexico where they eat what the grew and raised. Marijuana was their cash crop. Have you considered growing it?
  • Elitis
    2 years ago
    @Big Third Eye, I wouldn't go as far as to say there are VAST differences in Wagyu beef. Everything about the process is held to an extremely high standard. There are some differences as there is a grading system ranging from C1 at the "worst" to Kobe A5 at the best. However, all of that only applies to real, Japanese-imported Wagyu. And Japan only exports about 10% worldwide, so there is an abundance of fakes out there.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    Wow! All these boomers bitching about the price of eggs! Even at double the price, eggs are one of the best proteins while still being cheap. You should have seen this price increase was going to happen with all of the chicken killings due to the bird flu.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    If you lazy boomers got off your ass instead of bitching about inflation you could have preserved two years worth of eggs like this guy... [view link]
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    The best thing about being a boomer is knowing you used up everything good about this country and left nothing for the young: other than enslavement to China.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    ^ Good for you. Bad times create tough men. Tough men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create tough times. Thank you skibum for making us millennials tough. You will die knowing what a weakling you really are and that you left the world on good hands. You have well served your lot in life as a weak man.
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    shadowcat: I have considered growing marijuana. If that is ever legalized, I will have a climate-controlled shed installed and working within a month. skibum: the generations which like to blame boomers for fouling things up are already lining up to become good little communist drones. the irony is that it was the liberals and commie subversives of the boomer generation who brainwashed and indoctrinated them.
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    ^ right gammanu95 If you push too hard on gen x you will get a generation of gangsters. If you press too hard on millennials you will get a generation of communist. Boomers decided to leave gen x alone at one point and went after millennials. Thus we will have Communism
  • gammanu95
    2 years ago
    So 48 cowboy finally admits that he and his ilk are mindless and brainwashed drones created by leftover Soviet-loving communist agitators who have no free will and blindly hate and cast blame for their failures onto their elders. I'm glad we cleared that up. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step towards healing. Now, repeat after me: "Reagan was the last great American president since Ike."
  • 48-Cowboy
    2 years ago
    Reagan catered to the boomers and gave them entitlements making them weak. Good times create weak men. Gammanu is a retard
  • MackTruck
    2 years ago
    I buy da stew meat and make da tacos for Tuesday
  • CandymanOfProvidence
    2 years ago
    ^ Eat many tacos, drop a burrito
  • rickdugan
    2 years ago
    This thread makes me want to eat steak and eggs for dinner tonight. You know what? That's what I'm gonna' do. But in honor of all those who have to make tough decisions about their food budgets, I'll go with the NY Strip steak on sale at the local market for $10 per lb. On second thought, fuck that. I want a ribeye. The kids will want the good stuff too if they see me eating it. It might cost me $35-40 but I'm worth it. 😉 All kidding aside (or half kidding 'cause I'm really gonna' pick up that steak), anyone on this board who is seriously worried about the price of eggs or meat should reconsider spending priorities. Seriously, after I cook up that $40 in meat I'm going to go out and drop several multiples of that amount engaging in some absurd stripper debauchery. If the price of food was a pressing concern for me, I'd focus on feeding myself long before I forked my cash over to strange girls in their underwear (or in my case out of their underwear, lol). Just a thought. 😁
  • rickmacrodong
    2 years ago
    Mr Dugan its also just the matter of principle with meat and eggs. I havent been paying attention to eggs. But organic milk and organic grass fed meats that ive seen, have stayed at about the same price even before the pre covid days. It seems these items are such high volume, that the larger meat and milk companies can afford to keep prices mostly the same. Grocery store meat and milk prices have stayed about the same. The restaurants who are bumping up their prices drastically are just trying to see how far they can push things. Prices havent gone up much for us individual consumers theres no way theyve gone up any significant way for these restaurants buying meat or dairy in insane bulk amounts. The restaurants have the excuse of blaming supply chain issues even though grocery store prices make it obvious prices arent much different. Grass fed ground meat is still $5-$6 a pound despite all the inflation and supply chain issues
  • Estafador
    2 years ago
    I think I just won't get married. Because even my girl is refusing to understand that lighting candles and cooking steak at home is superiorly cheaper and more convenient than going to a restaurant. And I'm a pretty good chef.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion