tuscl

Off topic question for older members

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Sunday, May 8, 2022 11:30 AM
I’m not a sports memorabilia collector but I am a fan and item popped up on a Facebook page that really rings the alarm bells as a fake. It’s a canceled check written by a famous retired athlete in 1979. The check is written to “Visa”. I’ve had credit cards since around 1980 and I don’t ever remember writing checks directly to Visa. Aren’t the checks written directly a back such as Chase or Bank of America? The amount of the check was $100. Seems like it may be a minimum payment but for a retired sports figure worth at least $5 million this amount seems like it could be fake. Old guys — do you remember writing checks direct to VISA?

9 comments

• twentyfive
    2 years ago
    It's undeniably fake, the only credit cards I know of that you pay directly would American Express, or if it was way back in the day Diner's Club, or more recently Discover, AFAIK Mastercard and Visa were always issued by a bank or other financial institution, like a brokerage, and those are paid directly to the issuer.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Maybe. I've written checks to Mastercard before. Bank doesn't care.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    That’s weird because it showed up for me too. Must be some company throwing out an ad that looks like a real person put it up. I deleted my Facebook years ago but opened one back up under an assumed name just so I can participate in the GROUPS section. I’ve gotten a lot of great advice on fixing my cars there and that’s all I use it for. I too browse the marketplace before usually looking for car parts (I’ve been looking for an OEM set of wheels for one of my cars) and that autograph showed up yesterday out of the blue. Motörhead and I don’t live close to each other either.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    I don’t trust any sports memorabilia, it’s rife with bullshit. I’ve never been one to care too much about it anyway. Today if I got a signed ball from any player if I couldn’t trade it for cash I’m throwing it in a river
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    I would never buy sports memorabilia but several of my friends liked the post and I thought it would be good to warn them it’s obvious a fake
  • CandymanOfProvidence
    2 years ago
    For sports memorabilia, I don't think it's all that collectable. Like the other guys said above, so much fraud. It's even known that supposedly authenticated items (with certificates) has been problematic. Visa is strange - it started out as BankAmericard under Bank of America and was franchised to other banks, and only in 1976 did it become the Visa consortium. Banks were regional and statewide then, with laws and regulations preventing the huge financial institutions we see now. There shouldn't have been a single "Visa" card issuer. It seems either this is fraudulent or the guy was not very bright writing it to "VISA".
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    [view link] I always think of this when it comes to sports memorabilia
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    While we’re talking about memorabilia Mussy is trying of offload his garbage pail kids card collection if anyone is interested.
  • goldmongerATL
    2 years ago
    I remember a basketball player in college had closed his checking account and wrote all his friends checks for a million dollars. I kept it in case he made it in the NBA. He didn't. Would have been a nice souvenir.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion