tuscl

[OT] Baseball 3000 Hits

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
If you’re not a sports fan, specifically a baseball fan, you may have missed an event over the weekend you’re likely not going to see for awhile.

Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers reached 3000 career hits on Saturday. Baseball fans have been a bit spoiled. Since 1970, but especially since 2000, a player has reached 3000 hits about every 4 years. That’s about to change. There are currently only 3 players with at least 2000 hits and they are pretty old and it will be a challenge if any of the 3 get there.

It could be quite a few years before we see 3000 hits again.

13 comments

• Muddy
    2 years ago
    Yeah it might be a little while and the game has changed a lot. Guys don’t care about striking out. Walks are pretty good too, more guys are getting that.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    Cool, but I'm just bumping this thread so I can align my thread with the creep's copycat thread.
  • Mate27
    2 years ago
    Just read a Hank Aaron quote when he reached 3,000 hits. “Took me 17 years to get to 3,000 hits in baseball, but only one afternoon in a game of golf.”
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    While 3000 hits is impressive people just don’t care about it like they used to. Certain stats when the way of the dinosaurs. Like pitcher wins nowadays? Who cares. Not striking out? Well if your giving me more home runs and walks, I’ll take a few more K’s. Same for batting champs.

Look I love a guy a Tony Gwynn but he’s not Stan Musial, he’s just not.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Whenever I think of baseball, I think of watching a game in Yankee Stadium in 1967 where Mickey Mantle hit a home run and Rod Carew stole home. I then think of what baseball has become and play poker.
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    ^Carew once had seven steals of home in a season. How many are there per season in all of baseball these days?

As to Cabrera, Motörhead is right. It’s going to be a long wait before the next player reaches that mark or even comes close.
  • grand1511
    2 years ago
    Miggy just became one of only 3 players with 3,000 hits, 500 home runs and a career batting average over .300. The other two are Hank Aaron and Willie Mayes. That is some elite company.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Just to put things in perspective, Mike Trout is considered the best player in the game the past decade, a generational talent, but he’s played 10 years and isn’t even half way yet
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    Another thing too, players aren’t playing as many games a year. That Ripken iron man record might be the safest record in sports. Those days of 162 are over.
  • Hank Moody
    2 years ago
    To be fair, the game has changed because of math. It’s not that people just got disinterested in hits or pitcher wins. They just figured out the math that hits, steals and pitcher wins didn’t equate to team wins You seamheads probably knew that, but the thread was starting to suggest that it wasn’t logical. But you’re right, it’ll be awhile before we see 3000 hits or 300 wins.
  • mike710
    2 years ago
    I think baseball was better "back in the day" but, in Trout's defense, he missed most of 2 years with Covid and injury. He's about half way to 3K hits.

That being said, great players in the past like Williams and Mays missed time for service in the Military.

3000 hits is not easy since you have to be good, consistent and healthy.
  • FLAP3000
    2 years ago
    I think money has changed the game. Nowadays, guys get paid so much money that the owners see them as investments and don’t push them like the players back in the day. Managers will rest guys a day or two a week just because. Teams will delay a return from the IR for an extra week or two just to be on the safe side. Over the course of the season, guys are getting less at bats per season by roughly 100 AB’s or so.
  • FLAP3000
    2 years ago
    I think Starlin Castro has a shot if he ever gets another chance in the league after his situation.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion