tuscl

Music too loud! DJ's obnoxious....

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Monday, November 26, 2007 11:55 PM
This is my only complaint about my favorite club. I and many others have tried to convince the owner/managers that this sucks. You cannot carry on a decent conversation with your friends or with the dancers or waitresses. The club response is that they want to create a "party atmosphere". At one in the afternoon? I have blasted them in my reviews as have many others but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Wonder why? I could boycott the club but that would only be hurting myself. Got too many friends(dancers and customers) here. I have tried gun range ear muffs but they overheat my head and make conversations impossible. On Fri and Sat nights they have two DJ's trying to outdo each other in the obnoxious department in tandem. I am learning to read lips...

17 comments

• ShotDisc
    17 years ago
    Shadow, I agree completely. Have spent many an afternoon in PP Columbia and have come out with my ears ringing. Obviously owner doesn't want to encourage conversation. keeps dancers tied to one customer. ever try slipping the DJ a $20 to lower the volume?
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    I strongly prefer less noise pollution. :)
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Notice the DJ = bad DJ. It's kind of like referees in a professional sports game. If you see them, think about them, notice their presence, then they've probably screwed up. DJs at strip clubs can be unobtrusive and helpful, keeping the tunes rolling, filling in a little dead air with an announcement of who is coming on stage next or whether or not there's a drink special on, and otherwise they should shut up and put the music level right at where you can hear it but still talk comfortably over it as long as the person that you're talking to is sitting in your lap. :)
  • parodyman-->
    17 years ago
    There was a radio station in Chicago that used the bumper, "If it's too loud, you are too old." Just fuckin' with you shadowcat. Please take it in the spirit it was intended.
  • David9999
    17 years ago
    On an otherwise enjoyable afternoon hanging/dancing with a super-ATF type in a nice club, not too busy, last summer, a 50 dollar bill (I sent an AFT over to give it to him) didn't work to get it turned down, and the DJ kept the money anyways. Strangely enough I had given him 100 dollar bill a day earlier to play songs from a disc - and the DJ apparently was so excited I swear he jacked up the volume, and did the same thing the next day. So I guess created the mess Now months later its still high volume
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    That's always been one of my big no-nos for a club, for me it's a deal breaker. I enjoy the conversation, it's a big part of the attraction. If I can't hold a conversation I find another club. If a girl won't sit and talk I find another girl. Most of the clubs I've frequented don't even have DJs.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    A big big DITTOS with my brother. HOWEVER..... it's not that bad for me since I have tinitus (constant ringing in ears), that I contracted in 1983 from the pistol range. You just learn to live with the constant ringing and don't think about it. As far as conversation, well, I converse better from the waste down with those PP dancers. If a dancer is talking to me and I'm not aware of it, all she has to do is "yank my chain or anything else" to get my attention. :-) Don't try that Candyman!!
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    I love loud music when it's what I'm there for. However, I don't go to strip clubs for the music or to hear what the DJ has to say. It's amazing how many people who call the shots in strip clubs don't realize that customers come in for the naked girls.
  • snowtime
    17 years ago
    As I have stated in my reviews of PP the two things I hate about it are rediculously loud music and the annoying two dollar bills. Since some of you have obviously complained to management about the noise level I guess it has fallen on deaf ears (sic). Since they have no intention of changing we have two choices and because of its other obvious qualities I suspect most of us will continue to go to this club. At 57 I suppose there may be something to the "old guy" thing since most of the younger patrons seem to enjoy it. Perhaps it is a generational thing since I did not like loud concerts even in my younger days. One of the things that annoys me most today is the loud "thump,thump,thump" coming out of the sound systems of the cars driven by some of today's youth. I have acquired some small rubber ear plugs and will try them on my next trip to Columbia. My only concern is that I might misunderstand a dancer's offer in the lap dance area and mis out on something. As far as the two dollar bills go, I now try to bring enough one's with me and avoid that joke.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    According to an old article in The Wall Street Journal the loud music is a tactic the clubs use to get you in and out as fast as possible. The theory is you know your budget and you'll spend the same amount regardless of how long you stay. Better to nab your dollars and then encourage you to leave. I hadn't really been aware that there were customers like that, but I guess it makes sense. I guess it is sort of like customers who budget a car's purchase price by how much their monthly or weekly payment is going to be. A relative told me that NOBODY is that dumb and very strangely a co-worker came in that same day bragging about his new car. My relative wanted to know how much the car cost and the man said the price was X amount per week or month. My relative persisted and says NO, how much was the actual cost not the payments. The co-worker basically said he didn't know and didn't care. :) I can see entering a club and leaving if it is too bad without spending anything but token amounts.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I bring the small foam ear plubs purchased at Walgreens or possibly other small drug company outlets or at Walmart (they say good for 30 decibels). I squeeze them, insert them all the way in so they aren't too noticeable especially in a dark strip club, then all the shouting and loud music noise is more tolerable. The last time I was at PP in Columbia, I didn't even think the music volume was that high. However the DJ in Greenville Platinum Plus played a song and I understand why they do that now. The DJ is the Devil. Maybe the song said the DJ is a Devil but the way I remember it makes more sense. I explain this to dancers and say that's why the DJ likes talking so much and playing the music so loud that it hurts your ears. I didn't think the music volume was that bad the last time I visited shadowcat's favorite club.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    casualguy: I think that you have just gotten used to it. In fairness to the DJ's they are just doing what management has told them to do. There is a positive note to this. The dancers have to get real close to you to hear you. I mean REAL close.
  • jablake
    17 years ago
    The loudest club that I was ever in was the OLD Tootsies. I couldn't hear well for a few days afterward. It was depressing in that there were hot slutty women (also dogs) for a reasonable price.
  • jester214
    17 years ago
    Who ever said a good DJ is one you don't notice hit the nail on the head... Every DJ I have ever tried to deal with on a monetary level was basically non-responsive, perhaps they think there above it, I don't know. And speaking from the "younger crowd" (I'm 23) I hate the loud music as much as anyone, and your average person (at a strip club) does too..
  • danapdg69
    17 years ago
    I completely agree about the djs and music volume at Platinum. The DJs are so obnoxious that I usually tune them out and as a consequence, I missed a birthday shout out from one of my favorite dancers. I enjoy conversing with my favorites as I consider some of the girls friends. I used to have the pleasure of working with "Dallas" in an office setting which was a total trip. Now when I see her in the club, I like catching up and talking about old times. The music volume makes that almost impossible some days.
  • David9999
    17 years ago
    "Every DJ I have ever tried to deal with on a monetary level was basically non-responsive, perhaps they think there above it, I don't know." 100 dollar bills do work, I can vouch for this personally
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    Yes... I've tipped a particular DJ a $100 bill in order to get my dancer off the entire shift of stage dances on a very busy night, and that seemed to be the magical number. (it was money well spent, too)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion