tuscl

Is Omicron the final wave?

JamesSD
California
Omicron is dying off and based on just how quickly it fell off I'm starting to think we may have finally hit something resembling herd immunity. In California we are at 70 percent fully vaccinated and over 85 percent for one dose. Coupled with all the cases, there probably just aren't that many folks running around who are both unvaxxed and have never had covid.

It also sounds like Omicron was not actually "less serious" but the lower death rate was largely a result of community resistance.

Covid will likely be around for a while like the flu, annual boosters will probably become the norm. The third world hasn't beaten it yet and it's going to be a lingering concern for the immunocompromised.

But I'm calling my shot: I expect by March covid numbers in the US will be low. We probably will see a new variant this summer, but it will really only thrive in areas with low vax rates. Future mask mandates will be short lived based on local spikes.

So yeah, I'm thinking this is probably it, two years later. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

26 comments

• san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Of course it is not the final wave. There is a new flu strain every year.

But is Omicron the final wave of irrational and superstitious response?

That is a political question and the result depends on us.

SJG
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Gosh, I sure hope so. I am so sick of even talking about it.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    NO.

OMICRON IS NOT THE FINAL WAVE.

There has not been a successful way to control/isolate/contain the virus because some people (you know who they are) refuse to do it and keep spreading it, just out of spite.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    As someone who's worked for vaccine manufacturers, I think there will be better, longer-acting vaccines in the works. Some may be pan-COVID, the same way they're working on pan-influenza vaccines.

I don't think we'll have seasonal flares like we do with the flu. The influenza virus has parts that mutate and recombine into new strains every year. Hence why we get vaccinated against 3-4 strains at once. SARS-CoV-2 replicates fairly faithfully, with proofreading enzymes.

But as always, time will tell.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    There is a more conventional vaccine which probably will work better than this mRNA immuno short circuit.

But there is also no reason everyone needs to get vaccinated either.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    AFAIK the vaccine has not proven to stop the spread - IMO equating the unvaxxed with the spread is more political than scientific - I haven't looked into it myself but have heard reports mentioning vaxxed people had recently been getting more infections, than unvaxxed (which includes those w/ natural immunity). Israel was super-vaxxed and they still kept hitting w/ waves of infection, etc.

As to what will be the future of Covid; hopefully it will be mild in the future or better-yet hopefully it would die-out/go-away; but this virus has proven to be unpredictable w/ "science" seemingly always behind-the-8-ball.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Actually, the J&J vaccine doesn't work nearly as well.

The AZ and Novavax vaccines are not great either.

mRNA is the way to go.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Idiocy to have ever thought that we could eradicate COVID. Irresponible nonsense
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ That is true. We won't eradicate it, it infects too many animals (though mysteriously not bats in China).
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Doesn't seem to have come from Bats, at least not directly. Seems to have come from EcoHealth Alliance in North Carolina, a Germ Warfare research lab.

SJG
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    The ba2 type is already apreading.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    COVID hysteria was certainly fanned for political reasons.

SJG
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^^ man you’ve spent 5 hours at the library today posting non stop crap about politics to nobody that matters. How does this help you from the organization yiu e been creating for the last 8 years? Not a very good business model yiu for going there, Sparky!
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Meat72, you are dripping out the tail pipe. Need to crank a threaded stopper into that.

SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... I still believe the Rona was unleashed to the world to alter the outcome of the 2020 presidential election ..."

Unlikely but not impossible - makes you wonder if a "new contagious variant" happens near the midterms or 2024 causing more "longstanding election laws" changes.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Seems to be germ warfare research.

They hysteria was certainly manufactured for political reasons. The Dems did not want people talking about Universal Healthcare. So they had to blow up reasonable discussion about COVID.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ The Dems haven't _stopped_ talking about universal healthcare for some time. They just know the Sanders and Warren plans are dogshit, and no one has anything better.

When put to a ballot, single payer healthcare failed in Colorado, Vermont, and California.

Please give us detailed plans that don't suck.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    Biden ran on two platform planks:

1. I am not Donald Trump
    2. I am not Bernie Sanders

He denounced Adlai Stevenson, George McGovern, and Michael Dukakis by name. He did not want anyone talking about Universal Health Care, when he was talking about Nothing.

This is why the Dems, with stooges like Gavin Newsom, promoted COVID hysteria.

SJG
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Again, you can't address the lack of a plan. You are tedious.
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    Gosh, I sure hope so. I am so sick of even talking about it.

^good lord when I was in portland just recently a lot of these faggots there at clubs wanted to talk about covid and shit. Like stfu before I cut u fool 🔪🔪🔪🔪

JUST KIDDING
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Democrats have zero interest in universal Healthcare or a single payer plan. They're just as in bed with the insurance industry as Republicans.
  • docsavage
    3 years ago
    What this epidemic did was expose the poor health among many Americans. Big Agriculture, Big Pharma, and the media have combined to encourage people to eat too much food and the wrong types of food. Combined with lack of exercise, this has led people to be more susceptible to many health problems like obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and now Covid. The solution to all diet and lifestyle related health problems are expensive patented drugs and vaccines, according to the medical establishment and the big federal health agencies like the FDA, CDC and NIH. Until we fix this broken model of health care in this country, we will continue to have poor health among the population.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    ^ big Pharma doesn't make $$$ from healthy people
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Of course. There's no money when people have access to healthy food. ...look at all the preservatives and chemicals in everything. The amounts of sugar. Add to it a lack of preventive care. Expensive health care dictated by insurance company bureaucrats. Look at who profits off of covid...and their ties to politicians.

And to

Sjg. You sound like your anti covid measures for personal reasons. What you post is like an emotive rant with all the contradictions. I don't get why.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^^ it’s Sunday so I’m not sure if he’ll post since the library is usuallly closed today. Everyone knows SJG needs access to free internet services in order to post his political manifesto.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    San Jose has free public wifi hotspots...
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion