tuscl

Paradise by the Dashboard Lights have gone dim

Friday, January 21, 2022 12:47 PM
Meatloaf dead at 74

Man I really loved his music played Bat out of hell and Bat out of hell II just last week

From CNN
Michael Lee Aday (born Marvin Lee Aday; September 27, 1947 – January 20, 2022), better known as Meat Loaf, was an American singer and actor. He was noted for his powerful, wide-ranging voice and theatrical live shows. His Bat Out of Hell trilogy—Bat Out of Hell, Bat Out of Hell II: Back into Hell, and Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose—has sold more than 65 million albums worldwide. More than four decades after its release, the first album still sells an estimated 200,000 copies annually and stayed on the charts for over nine years, making it one of the best-selling albums in history.

18 comments

• Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Paradise by the Dashboard Lights still brings a smile to my face.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Just in case you haven't seen it in a while :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEc…

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Two out of Three ain't bad either
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-t…
    R.I.P. Marvin Lee Aday A/K/A Meatloaf
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Very unique singer. Rest in peace. Seeing you live was an amazing experience.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    One of a kind, with hits across several generations of audiences. RIP
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    RIP cool dude
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    RIP to Meatloaf. His songs will remain a part of my teen years forever.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    At the now-closed Satin Doll in Providence, I got some extra lapdance time when the DJ accidentally played the 8.5-minute cut of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light."

He was also good in "Fight Club."
  • DoctorPhil.
    3 years ago
    did i ever tell u people about how my pappy introduced mr loaf to jim stinerson?
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    Ishmael - Thank you for reminding me of his role in Fight Club! That was a good Meatloaf memory.
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    His name is Robert Paulson.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    He truly was unique. And he lived hard. I remember watching the "Behind The Music" episode on him on VH1 and he told a story about going on a bender in the early 80s in Philadelphia and waking up 2 days later in a hotel room in Toronto and having no memory of what happened in between. Crazy shit. RIP.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    Many thanks to Warrior15 and twentyfive for links to those memories. Meat Loaf has always been one of my favorite performers and he put on the best live show ever done.

I rarely feel grief when a celebrity dies, but today I feel a great sense of loss. I saw him in concert at least 15 times, and his music has been part of my life since I was 10 years old. Also, let's not forget Jim Steinman who passed last year. Without him there would be no Meat Loaf... similar to Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

I've been reading all the condolences and memories that have been posted by people who knew Marvin Lee Aday, some who knew him personally and others who just loved his work. The one that struck me most was by George Takei:

We wanted you, we needed you--and we loved you. Three out of three after all, Meatloaf. You will be missed.

• gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Now Louis Anderson!
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    I didn't know this, but I appreciate irony.

Meat Loaf was a vegetarian from 1981 to 1992.[122] Discussing the confusion caused by his contrasting stage name and dietary habits, he once told Entertainment Weekly, "There've been vegetarians who wouldn't speak to me because of my name. I was sitting with Jon Bon Jovi at one of those awards things, and I say, 'Oh, man, I love k.d. lang. I'd really like to meet her.' They went to find out if it was okay, and she goes, 'No. His name is Meat Loaf.' I stopped being a k.d. lang fan after that."[123] He declared in 2019 that he would try veganism for Veganuary in 2020, and would be partnering with UK restaurant chain Frankie & Benny's to promote its vegan options.[124]
  • elmer
    3 years ago
    Wow Louie Anderson
    Wonder who's next always heard they come in 3s
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ If you include Bob Saget, Meatloaf, and now Louis Anderson is the third
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    song lyrics, took me a while to get it.

SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now