tuscl

Because of systemic racism…..

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
No one has mentioned the passing of Sidney Poitier.

Great, great actor.

“In the Heat of the Night” is a classic. His acting is at the next level. I never tire of that movie.

RIP. you will be missed

24 comments

• Electronman
    3 years ago
    I agree. He was a great actor.

Raisin in the Sun, To Sir with Love, Lilies of the Field, In the Heat of the Night and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner were all influential movies that influenced my views on racism. His acting in each of these movies was superb.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    To Sir, With Love

I’ll admit, I teared up at the end.

Even some of the movies he made in the 80’s were pretty good. I always watching Little Nikita every once in awhile and Shoot to Kill chasing the bad guy thru the mountains is a pretty good thriller
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    A great actor. To Sir with Love was a great film - I watched it when I was a teen - and his performance was impressive. RIP.
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    Yep. Great actor. RIP Mr. Poitier.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I did like many of his movies, my favorite was "Guess who's coming to dinner"
    R.I.P. Sidney Poitier
  • Mark974
    3 years ago
    Sidney Poitier was in so many good movies and everyone knows the more popular and ones that made him the A list actor he was as mentioned already.

I also liked a lot of his lesser know or liked movies like Black Board Jungle with Glenn Ford, The Defiant Ones with Tony Curtis as escaping convicts that are chained together. I still like watching the Movies channel with all of the old black & white films from the 1940's and 50's.

A great actor that probably did not get all of the honors he deserved. He will be missed, but at least we have his ton of films that we will be able to watch and enjoy for a long time.
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    I was saddened to hear of his passing. A fine actor and a very good man.😢
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    RIP
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Go away, Cacaplop.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    Has any actor ever had a better year than Sidney Poitier did in 1967? In The Heat Of The Night, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, and To Sir, With Love all in the same year. Amazing.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    To sir with love is a classic.
  • minnow
    3 years ago
    RIP, to a great actor. In addition to movies mentioned by prior posters, I liked how he played the reporter (Mr. Munsford) in "The Bedford Incident". Capt. Finlander (Richard Widmark) obviously wasn't too thrilled to have him aboard his ship. The tension between the 2 men was obvious. Even as a teenager, I was completely color blind, didn't see any racial overtones. Capt. Finlander hated anyone who wasn't in the operational navy. As tense as his interactions were with Munsford, they were even worse with the new ship's doctor (Martin Balsam).
    RIP to a great actor in racially charged roles as well as roles that completely transcends race.
  • RamPaige
    3 years ago
    I already post it on my social media.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    I guess you’re trying to be funny with the “systematic racism” comment

If not - what’s racism got to do with Sydney Poitier?. If anything, his wealth and accolades show a general absence of racism. He won 2 Academy Awards for best actor, in a completely subjective process that could have been influenced by racism, but obviously was not.

It’s like the idiots who say the US is a racist country, yet a Black man was elected President in a popularity contest we call an election.

• motorhead
    3 years ago
    “I guess you’re trying to be funny with the “systematic racism” comment”

I guess there’s needs to be a sarcasm font for the internet.

Yes it was meant to light hearted poking fun at some folks
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    Ok - sorry I got triggered lol
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    I was at the grocery store today and the tabloid shelf was selling "Betty White turns 100" special editions for like $10. I guess they figure what do they have to lose in trying. Crates and crates were already printed.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    "Racism is painful and we have to be clear-eyed about it, not just victims of it.

And, on the other side, victims of racism are charged with the responsibility to have as clear an eye as they can to examine what they perceive to be the sources of racism,"

~ Sidney Poitier
    ~ Afro Bahamian (former British Colony) actor
    ~ February 20, 1927 - January 6, 2022
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    “Actor Sidney Poitier and singer Harry Belafonte, both black, participated in the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom in Washingont, DC August 28, 1963.”
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Know of him but never seen his work - not a huge movie buff - I mostly watched movies in the 80s in my teens - with each subsequent decade I watched less and less - not being a big movie buff I don't/haven't watch many old pre-1980 movies - I'm generally not into old/classics stuff whether it's movies or not - have never watched classics like Casablanca etc - it's crossed my mind to some day start watching the classics but not being a big movie buff I often don't have the patience to dedicate an hour+ to strictly watching a movie
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    I also like Separate But Equal, where he played Thurgood Marshall.

SJG
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    Studme - He only won one Oscar for best actor for Lilies of the Field (though he was nominated several other times). The other Oscar was one of those special lifetime achievement ones.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    “Sneakers” with Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd and Phoenix Rivers - another great one.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion