tuscl

Lost My Copy of Black’s Law Dictionary

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Question for any of you practitioners of the law - or I will accept answers from anyone who’s at least watched twenty episodes of LA Law.

An old favorite who I had not heard from in a long time texted me last night and her old boyfriend got released from jail and he was already harassing her.

I am not dumb enough to fall for her line or be her White Knight - but I couldn’t resist looking him up why he was incarcerated. He had several counts of “Uttering & Publishing”

I checked Wiki and basically it seems like that’s forgery. He doesn’t seem like a forger. He’s a low level peddler of weed. In practical use, what does Uttering & Publishing really mean?

9 comments

• Dolfan
    3 years ago
    I don't practice law or watch LA Law. You don't have to "forge" checks in the way you're thinking to be charged with that. Simply signing someone else's name is enough. He could have stole someone's checks, written himself a big fat one & took it to the check cashing store. Or, he got popped with pot and some fake checks and pleaded to avoid a drug conviction.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    It's knowing something is fraudulent and using it to commit fraud.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Maybe he was scamming unemployment or ppp loans. That's a popular crime now. Selling fake vaccination cards. Fake prescriptions. Credit card theft. Could be lots of things
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Depending on the state selling weed and pretending it's legit dispensary or supplier
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Just steer clear you don't need to know and neither do we, me I'd kick her to the curb
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Specifics will depend on your state, but essentially it's:

*knowledge that a document is false / forged / counterfeit (etc.)

*Intent to defraud

*Presentation of the document

Not just checks, but public records, financial docs, real estate docs (deeds, etc.)

(Source: passed the bar in 2013)

• motorhead
    3 years ago
    IICE, I think you might have nailed it.

As soon as Michigan legalized medical marijuana he opened a dispensary. Sounds like it might not have been so legal
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    It's really common. They'll get a couple pounds of the cheapest weed and package it. Sometimes using the packaging for top brands like cookies or jungle boys and sell it at premium prices.

Or something with his paper work. Not paying taxes. Not buying from legal suppliers. Selling types of products that he may not be licensed to or that aren't allowed in the state based on thc content or whatever. That kind of fraud isn't hard to commit.

I'd just ask her though. Could have been something as lowly as a stolen credit card or forged money order.

The charge goes up depending on the price tag of the fraud

• ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    If it's Michigan and he had a dispensary, I'd bet he sent bad papers to the state. And they were so obviously bad that they caught on fairly quickly.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion