tuscl

novelty machines

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
I can remember when I was a teenager going into the men's room at gas stations and seeing novelty machines. It was where we could discretely buy rubbers. I can't remember the last time I saw one. I rarely use men's rooms except at strip clubs. It seems like they might be good places to install one but then again maybe selling condoms openly might send up the red flags.

Are there still any left around?

20 comments

• shailynn
    3 years ago
    I was in a sports bar the other day and the restroom had one. I still see them occasionally, sportsbar/bar restroom, occasional convenience store restroom, sometimes in a restroom at a rest stop along the interstate as well.

I’m trying to think, I’ve seen other things sold than condoms but at the moment I can’t remember what items those were.
  • Jascoi
    3 years ago
    it’s very rare to see one now.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    The bathroom troll in strip clubs often sells condoms.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    I saw one at a movie theater recently. Gotta be prepared for those back row teenage moves.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Aspirin, and energy pills, that’s two things I remember seeing for sale other than condoms.
  • doctorevil
    3 years ago
    I still see the condom machines occasionally in gas station rest rooms while I’m traveling, usually a run down gas station in an out of the way place.
  • Electronman
    3 years ago
    I recall seeing novelty machines that sold "shots" of mens cologne. My favorite sign on one of those machines was "Out of odor."
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    Still come across them occasionally while driving through rural areas of the midwest. Chances are if you walk in to a bathroom and see one you should turn around and walk out before you regret it because most bathrooms that have them seem like they haven't been maintained in the decades since it was installed.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    I haven't seen one of those since I was a teenager. They were in most gas stations in the 70's. Always shitty quality condoms and I knew two guys that got their girlfriends pregnant using them. If I ran across a machine now, I would figure the stock inside was left over from the 1970's as well.
  • SaltyNuts
    3 years ago
    I remember seeing one with "instant pussy", I think it was a small sponge that expanded into a cat shape when wet.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^ you can’t find those anymore because every time San Jose Guy came across one he’d buy them all.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Most bars have free condoms but they're not really good.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Just saw one at Lamplighter II in Worcester last weekend.

Condoms, cock rings, all that stuff.
  • loper
    3 years ago
    Yeah, that machine at the Lamp is probably from the 70s.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    I don’t think I’ve seen one in a club men’s room.

I’m thinking back to traveling with my family when I was a kid - and remembering those machines that they had on the motel beds. You’d put some quarters in and it would vibrate or something. I remember our parents telling us those things were never to be touched or used. Nothing like Catholics to take the fun out of a vibrating motel bed!
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ The stickers on the front sure looked like it.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    ^ Thinking back to that era - I remembered those electronic football games were basically a football version of the vibrating bed. You got all your players in formation - and turned it on - and hoped the junk would make it to the end zone…
  • rockie
    3 years ago
    They were in Club Alex’s until they swapped the Men’s and Women’s Bathrooms in the interior 8 month do over! Maybe they decided in this era the dancer’s needed the items more than the customer and modernized the pricing while still ignoring expiration dates.
    3 years ago
    The machines are found (and current) in a lot of places in Western Europe including the German and Belgian airports.
  • TxVegas
    3 years ago
    There is a comedian that said he wanted to own these all across the country and never fill them up because the teenagers that used them would be too embarrassed to go complain inside when they didn’t work.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion