tuscl

How fast do you drive ?

Warrior15
Anywhere there are Titties.
Tuesday, May 11, 2021 10:41 AM
Do you guys remember when the Peanut Farmer set the national speed limit at 55 ? Oh, that was frustrating back then to drive anywhere. I found myself driving across several states yesterday. About 700 miles and luckily it was all Interstate Hi-way. But still a long day. I was driving a my BMW coupe so the vehicle was made to go 100+. And I actually feel fairly secure in my ability to drive that fast. But I just don't dare. I am totally scared of getting speeding tickets. So I set the cruise control on 77. I've found that at that speed, Highway Patrol ignores me. But in this trek, I passed about half of other drivers, and I got passed by about half. Some almost ran me over for going so "slow". Got flipped off a couple of times. On the highway, how fast do you drive? Do they still sell radar detectors ?

47 comments

• twentyfive
    3 years ago
    So you're the senior citizen in the left lane. thought I recognized you, step on the gas granpa
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    In the more populated areas with traffic & exits and shit I tend to keep it around 75-85. In the more rural areas I'll bump it up another 10 or so. And yes, they still sell radar detectors.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    In my area, the folklore is the troopers don’t stop you until you exceed at least 15mph over the speed limit. On a 65 mph highway, I go 80. On 55, 70. I haven’t been stopped in years
  • booji boy
    3 years ago
    I follow the traffic. It isn't speed that kills, it's relative speed that kills. If I'm on an empty highway, I've got no problem going well over the speed limit. A lot of long (1000+ mile) road trips have taught me that if I'm in traffic and I have to weave around that traffic all the time, I'll end up a lot more stressed at the end of the day. I still do long road trips because I like driving, but if I want to get there fast I'll fly. Pretty sure you can still get radar detectors. My current car has adaptive cruise and that works for me... I just set it to 80 and enjoy the ride.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    School zones, I go exactly the limit. In town, 5 -7 mph over. On the interstate, what ever traffic allows. If I am driving in isolation, 9 mph or so over. If I can find one or two like minded drivers, I have no problem with the caravan going around 100 mph. I do the polite thing and take turns in the lead. Usually, just the first or last car is going to get the ticket. Many times I have been with a pack of cars hauling ass for hundreds of miles before anyone peels off for an exit. Always feels like there is some kind of camaraderie, even if it is only in my mind.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    We do a lot of long distance driving (drove to Monatana and back in Feb) and we have found that the number of stops you make and how long they take are far more important than how much over the speed limit you tend to go. Locally we always get 10-12 mph over; I got stopped in Wisconsin in feb. for 12 mph over on 94.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Write me up for 125 Post my face, wanted dead or alive Take my license, all that jive I can't drive 55, oh yeah
  • geunther
    3 years ago
    In the city, 5 over is the max for me. I am not worried about myself, but every other driver is texting, reading, jerking off, etc. On the highway 9 over, everywhere. I still worry about the other drivers and their phones, but they seem to be less intensely focused on the phones when they are hurtling down the freeway. I truly hate every person who puts puts their ass in the middle lane, passing no one. I see so many who should be in the right lane, but refuse to move over. This fucks up the whole system of a three lane highway. If you are on a standard four lane highway, and driving in the left lane not passing anyone, you are the asshole we all hate. Move your dopey ass over.
  • Longball300
    3 years ago
    5 over in the city, 7 over on the highway..... 0 over in school zones.
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    Speed is not an important variable. This rick drive for the pure joy of driving. Sometimes that involves high speeds. Other times you have to slooooow things down. Pop quiz: you’re on an open stretch of road where most cars are doing 85. What speed do you go? Bzzzz. Wrong. You accelerate to 90, pull in front of the hapless hairless ape next to you, and slow down to 75. Keep your radio off so you can hear his tires screech! Bonus points if the car behind him plows into his rear end. Pop quiz: you’re in the city cruising along in the center lane when you see an exit you want to use but there is a lot of traffic to your right. What do you do? Bzzzz. Wrong. You move the sun and the moon to get to that frickin’ exit. I just said that you wanted to use that frickin’ exit, didn’t I? Probably had something you wanted to see like a strip club or a 7-11 or whatever. And - when you’re a rick - getting to your favorite 7-11 or whatever bullshit you want to get to is far more important than the other damn dirty apes on the highway. And if one of the people you cut off complains you just look out the window, lower your shades, and say “what are you gonna do about it wildebeest?” ROAR!!!
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I remember the Arab oil crisis and the 55MPH. I was car pooling it, to save gas, on I-405 in CA, on the way home from work and got ticketed for 63mph. My Mustang GT is rated at 460hp and the suspension is built for it. I have to constantly watch my speed because it is so easy for it to creep up without you noticing it. On the interstates around Atlanta I get in the far left lane and do what ever the traffic is doing...usually 10-20 over the published limit.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    700 miles in one day is a lot - which states did you go through? Traveling for work I usually never do more than 400 in a day. As for speeding it all depends where I am. Locally on the interstate I know where the cops always sit so I’m 10-15 over the limit. When I’m traveling in Pennsylvania they’ll usually leave you alone if you’re under 10 over. Now when I’m in Ohio especially the turnpike I only go 2-4 miles over the speed limit. I get passed like I’m standing still but I’ve seen too many people get pulled over (including myself) for going 74 in a 70. 5 tickets past 20 years. 92 in a 70. 2 traffic cam tickets, 90 in a 55, written down to 64 in a 55. 3 warnings, 1 should have been a ticket the other 2 were bullshit stops.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I drove through Ohio last memorial day and on US 30 I saw 51 speed traps. Wife and I have been to Washington State twice; we both have tickets. Mine is one of two earned in 48 years of driving.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    This is an interesting question. On local roads with a 25 mph speed limits - I keep at the speed limit. There are too many kids and dogs around to take any chances. In NYC I will usually keep up with traffic speeds. There are some spots where you just hit the gas and go until the next light. The highways around me are so congested it can be a challenge to get near the speed limit. But when going on a more open road - I will go between 75-80. In Fl - I feel like I’m standing still going 80 on route 95!
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    ^ How many of you damn dirty apes believe that skifredo only has two tickets from 48 years of driving? Bzzzz. Wrong answer. The correct answer is “skifredo has zero tickets because skifredo is a homeless crab making up all of these stories”
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    But there are times I wish Skifredo was an actual car-drivin’ ape. I bet he’d say really funny shit when you cut him off. ROAR!!!
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Drove from Nashville to Tampa. So Tennessee, in Alabama for just a few miles, Georgia, then Florida. Left early in the morning and got there at night. But I did stop twice for a sit down meal. I needed the break and to check emails and TUSCL.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^ those are all states where you can haul ass and nobody cares.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Rules in my truck 1. Seat belts are mandatory. 2. Stop signs are optional. 3. Speed limits are merely recommendations. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    I got a traffic cam ticket in the mail from Maryland a couple years ago for supposedly speeding in a construction zone. It had a picture of my car on the road on the day in question. I was not stopped by a cop or anything. I will not pay it. I read they can’t do anything to you if you don’t live in Maryland for those type of traffic cam tickets. I live in NJ. I may be in trouble if I get stopped in MD though.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    I faithfully obey all laws. Well, most laws. Most laws that make sense to me. When it's unlikely I'll be caught, I may speed a little. My BMW made me do it.
  • Member6532
    3 years ago
    The other week for work I had to drive from a small town Louisiana to Jackson, MS to Memphis, TN to Kansas City, MO had to switch vehicles 3 times with stops took about 12 hours and 750 miles. They wanted me to do it in 2 days, but I had been living in hotels for a month and wanted to get home. At times I'd go 80-90 mph but most of the trip 5 mph over, considering I stopped 6 times (3 for gas, 3 to switch cars and had to wait at the airport for an uber after dropping off a rental to get to my personal vehicle) I feel like I made pretty good time. Driving near the small towns in Arkansas and Missouri make me nervous they are pretty strict about out of towers speeding
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    Has anyone ever gotten a speeding ticket from one of those overhead open road type tolls? They take a picture of the car license and the driver. They know the distance between tolls. It wouldn't be hard to calculate the driver's average speed from point A to point B. I have always wondered about this and drive a little slower on toll roads that have transponders.
  • crosscheck
    3 years ago
    I'm a routine speeder. Just a lack of patience I suppose. I've been fortunate with regard to tickets though, I think the last speeding ticket I got was on the Harbor Thruway in Baltimore about 20 years ago on the way to a family event in Northern Virginia.
  • Jascoi
    3 years ago
    omg. mr ticket has been my last name for decades. used to drive a big truck for decades and especially in California (55) the cops... no mercy for a big truck. as to my personal present car... is a 2012 badass Prius. has absolutely no problem breaking the speed limit up to 107 mph. i usually go with the flow in the fast lane. when I drive to Tijuana from my place in Arizona I drive maybe 12 over on I 40 and then no more than 85 on i-15. thank goodness for adaptive cruise control.
  • DeclineToState
    3 years ago
    ->@Warrior15: "Do you guys remember when the Peanut Farmer set the national speed limit at 55?" It wasn't the Peanut Farmer (President from Jan 1977-1981). It was Tricky Dick administration in Jan 1974, in response to the 1973 OPEC oil embargo.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Well. I was 11 years old in Jan 1974. . So maybe I had that fact incorrect. I started driving in the Carter administration. That's for the correction.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    Thanks , not That's. I hate auto-correct.
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    If traffic permits I drive above the limit just about everywhere except school zones.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    I probably drive the slowest here I’m might be the youngest in the thread. Maybe 10 over on the highway at the most. In the city there’s all these speed and school zone cameras. It is no joke that shit is expensive. I’ll let all the speedsters get ahead of me I’ll be alright. Too many times I’ll see some lunatic in the left lane gunning it, zipping around everyone and then a couple miles ahead whoopsie you see all the warning lights, yup the dude wrecked his shit. Some people just don’t understand physics.
  • sweetjamesjones
    3 years ago
    I travel back and forth between Chicago & St. Louis fairly often. Normal cruising speed 80-85 mph on I-55. Only received one ticket and one warning in the last 10 years.
  • Funkycold88
    3 years ago
    Usually 5 to 10 over anywhere other than school zones, but if I'm doing a late-night run in the Supra I'll take it up to 160 on the interstate.
  • rl27
    3 years ago
    Shailynn, my dad and others mentioned that back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, the highway patrol in a few states would use the turnpike entrance tickets to clock your time between the exits and figure out how fast you are going and then there would be a patrolman waiting a bit down the road and pull you over for a speeding ticket. In those states they would drive drive around 90 mph, and then waste time in the rest stops long enough to average under the limits.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    rl27 I'm surprised they're not using EZ-Pass to do that even more efficiently. I'm sure it's coming.
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    I believe speed limits and other traffic laws are one of the few legitimate government regulations. I support summary execution of speeders, tailgaters, and aggressive drivers. That would also help thin the population. In all seriousness, its completely ludicrous that the majority of people compliantly acquiesced to masks and Corona shutdowns but routinely ignore basic traffic laws and speed limits. It makes me hate most people all the more. I don't understand the need to race up just so they can sit at the next traffic light. I can't relate to the thought process.
  • Dave_Anderson
    3 years ago
    Why not slow down sometimes and enjoy the view? I just don't get the hell bent for leather attitude of 80% of drivers. Whats the rush?
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I drove to desires at 65 last night and homeward bound I hit 123 on rte 146.
  • rickthelion
    3 years ago
    ^ I bet Skifredo’s Uber passenger lost bowel control on that trip.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I’ve gotten traffic-tickets for several things over the years (but no tickets in the last few years) but I’ve never gotten a speeding ticket. I actually never owned a high-performance/high-power car; mostly cheap 4-cylinders – so part of the reason I don’t speed too-much – I also get aggravated/stressed easily and why I rather drive at a comfortable chill pace (mostly w/ the flow of traffic) and often try to leave w/ enough time so I won't be rushed. I don’t do long-distance driving too-often – locally (Miami/SoFlo) AFAIK all freeways are 55 – I’ll usually do around 65 and sometimes 70 – I tend to stick to the middle-lanes and sometimes the right-lanes to stay out of the way – but with SoFlo congestion, and bad drivers particularly in Miami, sometimes I gotta get on the left-lane b/c the other lanes are too-congested w/ slow Miami drivers (many immigrants mostly Cubans that never drove till they got to the U.S.) – and getting on the left-lane it’s hard to do above 70 in Miami b/c of congestion – at night w/ less congestion I’ll usually do 65 to avoid tickets. The few long-trips I’ve taken in the past were mostly the 200mi trip from Miami to Cocoa Beach when I used to hit Inner Room and would do the trip every couple of months – once you get out of SoFlo (past Palm Beach County) the speed limit increases to 70 – on my way to Cocoa past lunch time I’d do 75 to 80 and usually stay in the center lane sometimes the right-lane since even at that speed you’d be holding up traffic on the left-lane (doing 75 to 80 past Palm Beach county you are usually just keeping up w/ most of the traffic) – I’d usually come back from Cocoa Beach the same day past midnight – on my way back to Miami at night I’d put the cruise-control at 74 – at that time of night in the area of Cocoa Beach there’d be very-little traffic on I-95 so I could just put the cruise-control at 74 and I’d barely have to touch the breaks till I got into the northern-end of SoFlo entering Palm Beach county where the speed limit would go down to 65 and then a bit later to 55 (and there’d be more traffic so I’d usually have to take off the cruise-control) – on my way back at night from Cocoa-Beach to Miami I’d put the cruse-control at 74 b/c I “assumed” I wouldn’t get pulled over by keeping it below 5mph above the speed limit; w/ the little traffic in that area at that time of night one’s car would stand out more (I never got pulled-over doing 74 at night but IDK what the break-point would be; may be cop dependent?).
  • PinkSugarDoll
    3 years ago
    I have a Fast and the Furious car, I exceed 100 mph daily, but I don’t do it in a stupid way—I won’t do it when there are other cars around me and I won’t do it if conditions are wrong, I.e., wet, or too cool for the desired temp range of my tires, or shitty visibility, or possibility a car could show up from a side street. The last time I was pulled over was 2 years ago driving home from dallas in oklahoma. I was going the speed limit and passed a cop, wasn’t even open throttle. They profiled me because of my car and out of state plate, pulled me over and called 6 male officers there. I was by myself, I am 5’1” and 125 pounds. They tore my car apart, I had two suitcases and a duffel bag and they took everything out on the freeway and searched it on the side of the road. I was pulled over for “loud exhaust,” which is legal in the state my plates are from. They brought a drug dog. I left there without even getting a fucking ticket. Also I don’t even drink and my car should not have been searched for drugs. Anyway I haven’t had a speeding ticket in at least ten years. 👍🏼
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Certain cops in certain regions def go way too f'ing far when pulling people over - I guess part of that is that certain routes are known for narcotics-trafficking and likely Dallas on north may be one of those with Texas bordering Mexico
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    I will also say that WA plates they might be looking for weed or something silly like that.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    Last I checked, they still sell radar detectors lol... I go the speed limit. Almost exactly or exactly. I don't want a police officer to have a reason to pull me over if he's bored. The only place I'll speed is in Detroit city limits and even then I've learned to be careful. I've never gotten a speeding ticket.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    School zones, the limit. Cops love to bust you in those, and schoolkids can be really stupid sometimes. Residential areas, at most 5-10 over and very carefully. Shorter interstate drives, I average around 80 (65 limit around here). Longer interstate drives, I average 85-90. Last two times (10 years apart) I was selected to contribute to chronically-mismanaged state government were on the New York Thruway, driving home from Thanksgiving. Both times I violated my own rule never to stand out from the pack. I find New England cops generally don't give a shit unless you're really brazen about it. Really wish they'd bust aggro drivers (and force them to display a bumper sticker saying "I HAVE A SMALL PECKER") or teenage texters (and put 120 grains through their iPhone 12 at 1100 fps), rather than straight-line good-condition speeders. Never had my car searched at a traffic stop. The Canadian border patrol, on the other hand, for some reason hates my fucking guts.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    I've only gotten one speeding ticket in probably the last 20 years, and it was about 4 years ago. A complete bullshit set-up. Upstate NY coming back from Niagara Falls. My general rule on highways is usually 10 MPH over the limit, just enough to avoid the attention of Uncle LEO. Well, this speed trap was about a mile-long stretch of road with a slight downgrade, which naturally causes you to go a little faster without even realizing it. Then a sudden speed limit change from 65 to 55 in a place where there is absolutely no reason to change the limit, except to screw you for speeding. In fact, about a half mile further down the road, it goes back to 65, so it's clearly there just to get you. So I'm cruising along maybe 75 MPH in a 65 zone, crept up a couple MPH, then the limit change to 55 and, according to the cop, he said I was doing 77, which sounded about right. Turns out that 20 MPH over the limit is the breakpoint between just a small fine and a big fine with points and a mandatory court appearance, which would have really sucked because I was about 4 hours from home. But the cop was cool. He wrote me up for 74 which put me just under the 20 MPH breakpoint and also qualified me for something called the "Traffic Diversion Program." I had to sign up for a "driver safety" course which is held all around NY state, so I was able to take it in Staten Island which is like 15 minutes from my home in NJ. It cost about a hundred bucks I think, and it was probably the most boring 6 hours of my entire life. But once you complete it they throw away your ticket like it never happened. No fine, no points, and as a bonus I got a small discount on my insurance for having taken the class. So if you're in New York state, my advice would be to never go more than 20 over the limit. It's the difference between a chance to get off the hook, or getting royally screwed.
  • orionsmith
    3 years ago
    Seems like I’m usually going 35 to 45 in a 55 zone because of a number of drivers on the road. I remember from drivers ed, a very slow driver is the most dangerous driver on the road. To prove the point many of these same drivers will speed up to make it harder to pass in a limited passing zone. If you wonder why some drivers go flying, they had too much of these dangerous drivers hogging the road.
  • Musterd21
    3 years ago
    I usually go the speed limit or with flow of traffic! I do enjoy going the speed limit and seeing someone pass me and get nailed! I guess I am a little devil! 😎
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion