tuscl

PSA: Social Media Alert

joker44
In the wind
1. Parler, a so-called "free speech" social media platform that is popular among President Donald Trump's supporters and others on the far-right, went down on Sunday after Apple and Google removed the company's app from their services and Amazon Web Services refused to continue hosting it.

But its demise may be short-lived, as a Washington State-based web hosting company called Epik has evidently agreed to host the site. Epik serves as a safe haven for other far right sites, such as the notorious right-leaning social network Gab.

2. Parler's data archive is poised to be used to help ID some of the rioters at the Capitol last week. A hacker who goes by @donk_enby was able to archive roughly 99 percent of the content from Parler before it was kicked offline, much of which she described as "very incriminating" against the people who posted it. She explained to Gizmodo that she began by downloading every Parler post from January 6, the day that Trump fomented a coup attempt in Washington which culminated in the Capitol Riot. She is believed to have reverse-engineered Parler's iOS app to find a web address that the company uses to retrieve data on an internal level, later deciding to archive every post that appeared on the site after Amazon said it would no longer serve as a host.

"Unlike many other systems, Parler requires users to provide a photocopy of identification (typically a state driver's license) in order to be 'verified' on the site," former Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy in the Department of Homeland Security Paul Rosenzweig wrote for Lawfare on Monday. "This ID, along with all of the metadata for Parler posts—such as geo tags for images, IP addresses for posters and so on—was available to Parler administrators. Likewise, the actual content of Parler posts—videos, texts, and such—was also available in plain view format to administrators." He pointed out that anyone who used Parler to plan, commit or record crimes during the Capitol Riot could be implicated due to the hack, since it would "in the hands of law enforcement, be a treasure trove of leads and, ultimately, of digital forensic evidence that would be useful in proving individual criminal guilt." — --Matthew Rozsa

https://www.salon.com/2021/01/11/maga-ap…

24 comments

• doctorevil
    4 years ago
    Well, I'm sure none of the Parler data will end up on Twitter or Facebook. After all, they have such strict policies on banning hacked info.
  • Sgtsnowman
    4 years ago
    I find it fascinating that a bunch of people intent on committing crimes would supposedly be using a site that makes them provide a copy of their ID to register. Sounds like when MSNBC and the rest spent 6 months telling us how Robert Mueller had all this incriminating evidence and just you wait and see. Then we saw all the twisted machinations the FBI and DOJ were going through in their attempt to pretend Trump was a Russian agent. Suddenly, we really needed to worry about Covid and not all the evidence of wrong doing at the DOJ.

Don't hold your breath for any crazy revelations.

• misterorange
    4 years ago
    Well OP took that from "Salon" which is nothing more than a site providing made-up fantasy stories for ultra left wing wackos to read in between jerking each other off.
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    There was no "riot."

You guys are absolutely too much. You engage in actual rioting and "resistance" for 4 years, culminating in months of rioting, protesting, and intimidation, causing billions of dollars in property damage and over 30 deaths all over a literally false narrative, and you have the fucking audacity to carry on over some incident less than 1 percent as much that caused no significant damage, nothing burned down,
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    To say the hypocrisy knows no bounds doesn't even start to describe it.

The MAGA movement is not going to be intimidated or eliminated. You will fail.
  • rattdog
    4 years ago
    some twat from that salon shit site was being critical of the tv show cobra kai. apparently she had a problem with the two main characters being white, citing bad optics. what the fuck man? third main character is latino, but apparently that is not good enough.
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    It's pretty clear the rioters assumed they would be greeted as liberators.

Also who the fuck signs up for a site that requires ID in 2020/21??? That's like next level stupid.
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    Some random news items😊😊

"Federal 'Strike Force' Builds Sedition Cases Against Capitol Rioters. Will It Work?"

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/13/956285582…

"New York City Cancels Contracts With Trump Organization"

https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-el…

"Rep. Tim Ryan: Probe Underway On Whether Members Gave Capitol Tours To Rioters"

"About 20,000 National Guard Members To Deploy For Inauguration, Officials Say"

"YouTube Joins Twitter, Facebook In Taking Down Trump's Account After Capitol Siege"

"Amazon Says Parler Systematically Unwilling To Remove Violent Content"

• JamesSD
    4 years ago
    A long time ago I occasionally visited 4chan. That's how you do violent, gross shit right. Totally anonymity, no real archive.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    4 years ago
    They should be tried for conspiracy to commit sedition. That would stick
  • 8TM
    4 years ago
    Funny how with all this stuff going on, nobody on the national stage seems concerned about knowing who Q is. Not even a reward for information leading to his arrest. I guess Q just happens to be the luckiest terrorist mastermind ever.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Buy guns and choose a side.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    It's well past time to stop the bullshit, maybe you fellas don't get it but Trump just resigned, I know he didn't actually come out and say it, but if you listen to his video, that is exactly what it is.
    My guess is he and Melania are bubble wrapping the stuff they want to take with them and will be heading down to Mar-A-Lago before the weekend and aren't returning to the White House.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Trump resigned three month ago. What Democrats don't get is they lost once and barely won another time against a douche. That pain will become obvious as they fail starting in a week.
  • sclvr5005
    4 years ago
    Gonna be sooooo nice to have Dems back at the helm again. The ReTrumplicans will just continue in their death spiral until they implode. Sweet!
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    @25 He is kissing McConnell ass because he knows his fate is sealed with the Senate vote. Its funny when everything is his own words he just spews it out in his haphazard way, when its his lawyers its on the teleprompter and he roboticaly recites it.

I don't honestly think he has the discipline to stop himself from another emotional outburst in the next days/weeks. He is living chaos
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ McConnell is pissed off at Trump, because in McConnell's view Trump caused him to lose control of the senate, but a deal will be made by Biden and all of the parties involved with regard to the impeachment trial, I wouldn't be surprised if it is permanently tabled, and held in some sort of limbo, as a brick to be used by either party to keep Trump bottled up, as I stated a while back, once Trump is out of office he will become irrelevant, with all of the social media blocking him, and business partners dropping out of his circle, he just might become the first President in recent memory to die broke, bankrupt, and friendless, just like Nixon
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    Checkmate
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @25 "he will become irrelevant, with all of the social media blocking him"

Why don't you just overtly call for the suppression of free speech?
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ You Trumpublicans are such a bunch of fuck-ups you cant even get out of your own way, suppression of free speech my ass, more like shut the fuck up dummy, I thought when you are in a hole and can't get out it might be a good time to stop digging.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Just for the record the only brains the Republicans have shown lately is McConnell's recognition of reality, and now that all of those corporate contributions to the have been shelved, that is going to be Mr. Minority Leaders only concern, because without that money they will remain a minority party for a long time. At this late stage McConnel's best chance of getting that money flowing again is a vote to impeach and a cleansing of the ranks and removal of the orange tint from the party and his caucus. At that point Mr. McConnel can go back to those corporations (the real party bosses BTW) whose money really controls our American politics, and beg for the spigot to be reopened.

Have you got that @ mrorange it really has nothing to do with free speech, it has everything to do with free money.
  • rickthelion
    4 years ago
    Question:

Why are you damn dirty apes having this conversation in the front room? Isn’t there a separate room just for the erudite political discussions of the members of TUSCL MENSA?

And what makes any of you think your political insights are so valuable if you can’t even figure out the most appropriate place to post them?

Jes’ askin’
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    If I was a whiny little bitch I too would vote Democrat.
  • ricktheturtle
    4 years ago
    Did skifredo just admit he votes Democratic? I mean really, this rick could give a shit less about Republican or Democrat, but it is pretty fucking obvious to this rick that skifredo is a whiny lil’ bitch...

So let’s write out the syllogism:

Skifredo claims that whiny little bitches vote for Democrats.
    Skifredo is a whiny little bitch.
    Therefore, Skifredo votes for Democrats.

Discuss... aah... yup.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion