tuscl

What is the last movie you saw in a theater?

I just look at box office mojo.com - the top performing movie this weekend is something called Hocus Pocus by Disney. (Not to be confused with Hocus Pocus by Focus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDW9b_e… ).

It did 650k yesterday. That’s pretty pathetic for a major release on a Friday.

Only 5 movies have cleared $100 million in box office receipts this year.

Anyway, the last movie I saw in a theater was 1917

50 comments

• nicespice
    4 years ago
    Holy cow, the last time I was in a movie theater was December 2018. Saw The Princess Bride at Hollywood Theatre in Portland.

Dang time flies.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Wow! 2018?

I don’t read fiction. I feel that with the time invested in reading, I should be learning things.

So I use movies as my method to get some fiction into my life.

Before this summer, the last time I went a summer without seeing a movie was 1997.
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    Tenet, a few weeks ago. It wasn't great
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    Even though the theaters have been open for some time now, they haven't been very busy at all. There are days when I drive by the AMC and the parking lot only has like, 5 or 6 cars in it.

Last movie I saw was probably . . . Star Wars VIII (The Last Jedi). I'm not a huge theater person. When I am, I like to have the whole room to myself. Which means now is probably as good of a time as ever to go see a movie, but I've always waited till movies are released for personal purchase to watch them.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    That’s one of the summer movies I would normally see.

If a movie has any combination of car chases, gun fights, or explosions, I am in.

But with the pandemic, it just doesn’t seem like it is worth the risk.
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    If you want a shoot em up over the top.action movie it was good, but it was hard to follow at time, sound was bad (they wear masks a fair amount) and they had to break the rules set in the movie for it to actually make sense
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    AMC is running weird hours here, no movies before 2-3 and none after 9. Seen 4 since they reopened. Unhinged, Tenet, Kagillionare, and Train to Busan Peninsula
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Speaking of uncrowned theaters, when I saw The Expendables Ii about two weeks after it opened, I was the only person in the theater. Granted it was on a weekday after work, but that was still odd.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Member6532 - I find that plot holes can easily be filled by more explosions.
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    I used to.love day time movies on my day off, most of the time you got the theater to yourself, no one talking, cell phones or noise of any type. I almost always go alone if its a movie I looked forward to cause people seem to ask alot of questions for something you both saw/heard the same thing
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Yeah, I prefer to go to movies alone for the same reason. But I work Monday through Friday, so movies on my day off aren’t deserted.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    Last one I went to was the Last Star Wars movie with family.

Last one I liked in the theater was John Wick 3.
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    Yea, my schedule has changed a few times but I always try to keep Mondays off so I can get stuff done or go out when its not busy
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    John Wick 3 had the most bad ass knife throwing fight scene. They recently announced 4 and 5, which seems a little much but the movies have always been bad ass. Kaenu apparently went to some real gun training classes fir the role
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    "Anyway, the last movie I saw in a theater was 1917"

The last time I was in a theater was 1917, I heard they have sound and are in color now. 🤓
  • ime
    4 years ago
    I was hoping to see this one this year but not sure when it is coming out now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJc2tH3…

I have a feeling it will be better than the original with Sean Connery
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BrwSroS…

A24 makes some interesting movies. The VVitch was great.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    John Wick 3 was excellent! I loved the fight in the knife shop and the use of horses in the fight.

As far as Star Wars, the last one I saw was The Last Jedi.

I didn’t give up on the series because the movie sucked (though it did suck). I gave up on it when Ron Howard directing Solo was allowed y Disney to inject leftist politics into the movie.

Marvel has done the same thing with Avengers Endgame.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    Keanu Reeves said he was going to keep making John Wicks until people didn't want them anymore. And I read there iss supposed to be a series maybe on Starz called "The Continental" that takes place in the different hotels from the movies.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @TheeOSU - talkies? No way!
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    I haven't seen the Rise Of Skywalker yet. I've been scared to because everyone and their mom has been saying that it really sucked.

But I'm just wondering in the back of my mind how they managed to incorporate Princess Leia into it since Carrie Fisher passed. Unless it's nothing more than CGI or not showing much of her at all.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    As long as they don’t do something stupid and ruin the John Wick series, I will keep watching them.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    In 2018. I saw A Star is Born with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Apparently they had 8 minutes of footage from before Carrie Fisher died and they built her part in the movie around that existing footage as well as digital editing.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/1…
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    last movie theater flick i saw was ‘midway’.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    https://bleedingcool.com/movies/regal-ci…

Weird just saw this after this thread.
    Regal Cinemas closing all 543 theaters in the USA.
  • SanchoRG
    4 years ago
    Star Wars. I usually see one on Xmas day but really never any other time
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^
    Wow! Sign of the times.
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    I'm glad that I'm not the only person that hasn't been to a movie theater since 2018, let alone a Star Wars movie.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ,regarding Regal.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    I keep getting ninja'd here. :(
  • Eve
    4 years ago
    ^ I don't know why. You're just so easily ninja'ble.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Lol
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    I hope they dont get shut back down, it was nice having something normalish back
  • Member6532
    4 years ago
    Well AMC i mean
  • Lil Jayne Doe
    4 years ago
    Ummmmm.. I think Disneys Dumbo live action verison a few years ago
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I don't remember the name of the movie but is was 1989. I hate movie theaters.
  • grand1511
    4 years ago
    Tenet about a month ago...highly overrated. The plot was so complicated it gave me a headache.
  • SanchoRG
    4 years ago
    Damn Shadow. Movie theaters were pure dogshit in 1989! Those small seats on a flat sticky floor. I remember vividly the last movie I saw in an old-style theater like that was Tropic Thunder.

In these modern times, if it ain't Alamo-style/assigned seating there is no way I'm setting foot in a theater.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    I saw Tenet a few weeks ago. Went on a Friday night and the theater was not even close to full. I hope they survive. The new Bond movie was supposed to open at Thanksgiving, but now has been pushed back to 2021.
    2021 may be a great movie watching year as all of the big movies for this year have been delayed.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Speaking of modern movie theaters vs old ones - is it just me, or does anyone else want to take the seats home with them when they leave?
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Warrior, there are movies that would have been released this year that were never released. But at the same time, most movies in production this year had production stop.

I think that 2021 (or whenever this all ends) is likely to be a normal movie year.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    I think it was Avengers: Endgame. I've got a really sweet home theater setup, so I only go to theaters when I need to avoid even the most minute spoilers. There's an IMAX near me that takes reservations, so I'll take off work and see the earliest showing. When I can't do that, I turn off all social media and potential spoilers sources until I can see the film.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Well, fuck! I just saw ime's comment. The IMAX I referred to is a Regal. As a matter of fact, all of the upscale theaters around here are owned by Regal. There is one AMC close by, but it's in an area that is all hillbillies, retirees, and meth heads.

The silver lining to all of this is: the arrogant, holier-than-thou, liberal Hollywood establishment is FUCKED! HAH! Disney, screwing over Americans by importing thousands of low-wage workers: FUCKED! All that me too bullshit: FUCKED! One of California's largest revenue sources: FUCKED! You got to look on the bright side of 'ronavirus.
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    I don't remember now if it was Infinity War, or Endgame. I *think* it was Endgame.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    @Gammanau, it's a suspension of operations, not a permanent shutdown. I assume that they have looked at the numbers, realize they are losing money, and want to preserve capital for when times are better.
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    Clint Eastwood, Tom Hanks, Robert Deniro. Three actors of a few on my blind buy list. Meaning that it will be an automatic "go" to any movie they're in. (As actor or director). So, it's fitting that the last movie I saw was "Sully" (director Clint Eastwood, lead actor Tom Hanks) ~ 3 to 4 years ago. Two current ones I'd "like" to see are "The Irishman" (Deniro), and "Greyhound" (Hanks), but am not that eager to go to a theater in present environment.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    The Irishman was a long disappointment.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    IME - you need to add the word “very” at least 5 times in that statement.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    A little bit off topic, but since someone mentioned how crappy theaters were in the 80s, and many still are, it wasn’t always that way. Does anyone else remember Cinerama? I believe it was developed in the 50s or 60s, but was still around in the 70s, but disappeared in the 80s when all of the theaters converted to multiplexes. Cinerama could only be used in theaters with a single giant super wide screen. It used three synchronized projectors to fill your entire field of view. Later I think they dropped the three projectors and went with special 70mm wide film. The last movie I saw in Cinerama was a rerun of 2001: A Space Odyssey in the mid-70s. It’s totally immersive experience.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Yeah, sure, there was one in Phoenix at 24th Street and Camelback. It was around into the 90s until real estate in the area got to expensive to waste on a movie theater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cine_Capri
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion