tuscl

Overhyped places IYO

I'll throw out my list but knowing it might piss some people off who I really like on here from these areas. But don't take it personally, this is a list of places I really like just a little underwhelmed when I first visited due to what I've heard.

1. Vegas-Las Vegas is like two streets. The strip and Freemont street. That's pretty much it. I'm surprised they got a NFL team, there's not much in the surrounding area. I'm not into gambling either at all. You got to have like an IQ of 50 to be pulling that slot lever all day. So an economy based on that seems to draw a ton of wackos from all over America.

2. Phoenix- Phoenix is very nice. Everything is new, it's clean. But Phoenix is not a city it's a gigantic suburb lets be honest. That doesn't make it bad but as 5th largest city in America you might expect something radically different.

3. Dallas/Arlington/Fort Worth- Sort of the same thing. I just think Dallas has had a ton of new developments and new construction over the last 20 years or so where there just isn't any character in most of these neighborhoods. This is the most vanilla city I can think of.

4. 5. Austin/Nashville- Two really cool TOWNS. But that's what they are. They are towns not cities. When people say these places in the same breath as Chicago, New York, London, Miami, San Francisco those are world cities, Austin and Nashville might get there one day, they are growing like weeds but not yet.

Anyway that's my list. Those are all places I like and are worth visiting, I just had way different expectations going in. As someone from the east coast I may not be being fair to places that boomed after the automobile and I may have a convoluted idea of what a city really is.

27 comments

• Tetradon
    4 years ago
    Are you talking about the SC scene, or the city on the whole?

Vegas is overrated in general, but fun in small doses (like a blowout weekend). The SCs there, I won't even bother. Nashville is awesome. I always have a great time there, no idea on SCs.

San Francisco is living on its past, nice city that has literally gone to shit. NYC is overrated, unless you like living in the urine, litter, and carbon emissions of 8 million people.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    I guess I’m easily entertained. Even most small boring towns have something worth engaging in for a day or two imo. At least for visiting.

If we are talking about living in, I’ll go ahead and say I think Austin and Denver are overrated. Yes even if I’m in Denver and enjoy my home club.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    Austin is so overrated its hard to believe. Unless you like hippies and bums following you into stores.

• mark94
    4 years ago
    The Sistine Chapel. It seemed cartoonish.
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    " You got to have like an IQ of 50 to be pulling that slot lever all day. "
    The handles were too complicated for the people hypnotized by the blinking lights, so all the machines are push button now.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Mons Venus - Sure, the girls are hot, but there's no booze, no extras, limited mileage, and it is often jam packed. Also, I remember the parking lot as laughably small.

New Orleans Bourbon St clubs- New Orleans is overrated period. For strip clubs, Bourbon St is 100% tourist trap designed to remove as much money from the PL as they can, legally or otherwise. Cameras everywhere, lots of broken promises for "complete satisfaction", and sky high prices.

Florida- lots of great strip clubs, but so fucking hot and humid. Traffic is bad and worse everywhere you go. Mosquitos aghressive enough to pick you up and carry you off, while spreading diseases like Zika, Dengue, Chikungunya, Scarlett Fever, West Nile, and more. You're definitely better off in whatever blue state you come from! Stay there, and suck it up! You voted for it!
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    I'm like Nicespice in that I can find something interesting almost anyplace.

If I have least favorite city it's Seattle. It just seems that traffic really sucks there, it's expensive and it's gloomy a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I get an all expense paid trip there next week.

I used to like Portland for the amount of strip clubs but not sure I would bother going out there with all the craziness.

I grew up near San Francisco and always enjoyed a weekend there in the summer. However, when I was there last time it had gone down hill so much that it had become scary to walk by yourself even in the middle of the day, let alone at night.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    @spice

What do you like/dislike about Austin and Denver?
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    " New Orleans is overrated period. " Blasphemy!
    No other city in America is like NOLA. Food, music, and art is the life blood of that city. Get out of the touristy main drags of the French Quarter and experience what the city actually has to offer. (but yeah the strip clubs suck.)
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    No just in general not necessarily the strip club scenes
  • Tetradon
    4 years ago
    I've had some great times in Nawlins. If you're a foodie like I am, it's incredible. Just avoid Bourbon Street, which smells like concentrated Eau de Urinal, and for the love of all that is holy do not go during the summer.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    @Papi, I consider both cities stale, overpriced, and pretentious. And both places full of people who like to be thought of as hip but somehow fall short of the mark. I can’t even put my finger on what exactly it is. Maybe I’m just being negative idk 😅

Maybe it’s the California transplants? But meanwhile I do like Portland, and for better or worse, I feel line it’s a city that backs up its hip avant-garde attitude with a bit more authenticity. Even if that place is problematic and I am glad to not be over there right now.
  • Icey
    4 years ago
    I don't think any place is overrated or underrated when youre just visiting. It just comes down to what you choose to do. As a place to live then it just depends on wages and cost of living.

But overrated things.

1 - condoms.

2- mainstream hip hop

3- skinny white girls

4- chick fil a

5- expensive alcohol
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    @heaving But there’s parts of Austin I like quite a bit. I would love to have the chance to hang out on N Lamar grabbing a bite to eat at Dan’s Hamburger and then going to the Half Priced Books across the street. Oh, and trying to time taking my dog to the off leash park further up the road and trying to time it so that there aren’t others there and avoiding the risk of him getting into it with another dog.

Ah good times and gives me nostalgia thinking about it.

So I don’t mind all of it. But I’m just talking in general. Its not a city I consider bad, just overhyped 😝
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    And to be fair, I was usually too lazy to go downtown more often. If I hung out in more bars listening to performances, maybe I’d have a different attitude. 🤪
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    Overrated:
    Hollywood
    Beverly Hills
    San Diego north county, north of Del Mar -beaches and activities are meh compared to mid county from Point Loma on southern end to Del Mar on northern end
    Dallas - not that it's highly rated, but it's hot, flat (no good biking), with soulless suburbs
    Yellowstone National Park - alright, it is worth a visit, and has cool stuff you won't see elsewhere (geyser basins and wildlife), but if you're in Montana and want to experience a more spectacular national park, hit Glacier Nat Park
    Maldives Islands

Not Overrated:
    SF - great city IMO, get out of Market Street corridor and Union Square area, and good lord don't bother with Pier 39 and Chinatown tourist traps
    NOLA - as per JustinTolook, get away from French Quarter (other than a brief stroll if you insist on seeing it)
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    My assumption is that with time Austin is gonna become another very expensive San Jose with all the tech companies there (and likely more to come)
  • PredragDr
    4 years ago
    Chicago. Most people can't go there now due to their long list of origins that must be quarantined, but I always felt it was very overrated. The weather sucks, high percent of obese people for a big urban city, expensive for the Midwest and surprisingly dirty. Violent crime is quite high no matter how you slice and dice the statistics. The sports fans are very passionate, but generally not that bright and quite obnoxious. Old Style has to be one of the worst regional favorite beers. You meet so many former Chicagoans because everyone wanted to get out except the poor saps from IN, IA and WI that think Chicago is the ultimate big city. I'll take your deep dish pizza and maybe your popcorn, but you can keep everything else.

Also to keep it on topic with the site, their strip clubs suck!
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I'm not that well-traveled.

I lived in Dallas for close to 10 years in the 2000s - for me Dallas felt a bit slow and more of a big town vs a big city - I think Big-D is a very-good place to raise a family; it's fairly conservative, lots of churches, many good school systems which I think is a big reason many people move to the Dallas-area suburbs or decide to stay there, and it's usually had a strong economy with good job prospects at very reasonable COL - if one is looking for excitement and lots of things to do, Big-D is not the worst place but it's not the best either; but I think it's a very-good place to raise a family but not the best place if one is looking for fun things to do and excitement/vibe - per my time there in the 2000s it seemed the two most popular things to do were shopping and eating-out (stores always had lots of people, and a ton of restaurants that always had people).
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I don't like cold-weather thus northern cities don't appeal to me - of the cities that I've spent a little time in that look like good places to live would be Houston, Atlanta, Orlando.

Houston seems to have everything a big city has but not the level of problems of other big cities - H-town seems to have a strong economy w/ decent COL. ATL is kinda similar to H-town in that it's a large metro area with fairly strong economy and good COL. Orlando has grown a lot in the last 2-decades and seems to have a pretty-good vibe but doesn't seem to have as strong economy at least in the sense of a large # of high-paying jobs like other metro-areas.

Dallas and Houston are the 6th and 7th metro-areas by GDP in the U.S.; ATL 10th; while Orlando metro area is 30th (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.… )

Below is a link of the most expensive metro areas:

https://taxfoundation.org/real-value-100…
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    But wow I just realized, poor Muddy. Prefers the density of a big city but can’t stand the liberal mindset that prevails. That’s got to be a tough spot to be in.

@Muddy I wonder if a visit to Hong Kong or Singapore one day would be up your alley. 😁
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Definitely nice I would love to visit some of those eastern cities and yeah lol it certainly is a tough spot to be in. But like I said I have a great time in those places I just imagined something different the way people speak about them.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    And let’s not forget although a place like New York City is now run by psychotic far leftists, it was not built by them. It built by capitalism and it still a shining American achievement of what freedom can bring. The lefty’s just came in like cancer and at this point it seems terminal but I hope not.
  • MackTruck
    4 years ago
    Wyoming
  • lurkingdog
    4 years ago
    I have to say I’ve only been to Austin once and I liked it (in the interest of full disclosure, I did get to meet NiceSpice so that probably influences my opinion considerably). And I’m with her in terms of finding nice places most everywhere. I have always enjoyed DC as a city. Burlington, VT, Charleston, SC and Asheville, NC are great towns.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Overrated: Seattle; Chicago; San Francisco; Tijuana; Florida.

Underrated: Burlington VT; Providence R.I.; Yellowstone (Most Spectacular place on earth); Going to the Sun Highway; Salt Lake City; Boise; Bend.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion