tuscl

Is anyone moving ?

mark94
Arizona
Sunday, August 16, 2020 6:11 PM
There are a lot of stories about a mass exodus of people fleeing specific urban areas ( SF, LA, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, New York ) and going to less congested areas, whether the suburbs, the sun belt, or more rural areas.

Is anyone here giving that some thought ?

37 comments

• Muddy
    4 years ago
    Every second I think about it here in NYC. It has nothing to do with Co-Vid. Living in liberal land where gangbangers get to be the good guys. Arm yourselves. The police can't help you anymore, far lefty's ensured that. I have hope for the next mayoral election in '21 though because you just can't get any lower than rock bottom but lets see.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I don't where I'd go at the point though. It's seem like this nonsense is a cancer that going everywhere, it's just only a matter of time.
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    i’m still in the process of liquidation of all my 50 year collection of stuff. then when that’s done i’ll sell off one of my little run down casas. and move to tijuana.
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    I'm in CA but not in a city that has gone off the deep end yet. Just as I read this, I saw an interesting article on my Yahoo page that has some numbers about what you ask.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-yo…
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I've always been a suburbs guy, the city-center life has never appealed to me, nor living in the boondocks either - we haven't had too-many issues downhere in SoFlo w.r.t. unrest - Miami is a very unique area in that it's hard to find a similar lifestyle anywhere else, for better or worse - there's plenty about Miami that drives-me-up-the-wall, but there are some unique things I like about it and this is where I was raised (lived in Miami from age 9 to age 30, then again age 40 to now age 50) - I feel quality-of-life is much better in many other areas other than Miami, but Miami has that spice sorta-of-speak and feels a much less boring place to live compared to most places - so IDK where I'd go if I left Miami to find a good balance of not-too-boring and not-too-shitty - Houston seems to have a good balance of large city and also not being as crazy as other large cities, but my Houston experience is limited. - at one point I was considering ATL as a possible place I'd like to move to but lately feels like it's gone a bit to shit and IDK how it will be going-forward.

I often daydream about retiring at 62 and living abroad mainly in Latin America or the Caribbean (e.g. Colombia, D.R., etc) mainly for the C.O.L. and given I'm fully-fluent in Spanish -but IDK how it would be living in those places (haven't even visited) - I also daydream a bit about living in various countries for a time (e.g. 6 months or so) and getting to get a feel for different places and where I might wanna settle-down/retire in - in the end I might just end up retiring in America but if the hard-left was in power at that time I may just not wanna deal w/ that and may prefer to live abroad.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    HGTV has a lot of shows where people buy second homes in Central America. They always want extra bedrooms for visitors and large living spaces for entertaining. When their nearest friend lives thousands of miles away. It’s a fantasy.

As far as Spain, they could be facing a civil war in the near future.

I’d suggest renting rather than buying overseas.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Yeah, there are no jobs in Arizona, Texas, or Florida.

Everyone is moving to New Jersey with its enlightened outlook on government and private enterprise. Practically utopia.
  • etsutwigg222
    4 years ago
    Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and the Dakotas are the places to go now. Take your retirement and move there or out of the country. Let the liberals have the big cities and see how fast OAC and Harris/Sanders have to put a 50% income tax on the Hollywood elitists and athletes, because all the jobs will be in China and Mexico.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The disaster scenario, which we’ve feared in Arizona for decades, is all these liberals flee the cities their politicians have destroyed, move to Red States, then vote in the same type of politicians rhey are fleeing.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    California has proposed a wealth tax on the 30,000 wealthiest people. Not an income tax, a wealth tax. They would take a percentage of their savings and investments.

Want to see California collapse ? Watch what happens when the 30,000 wealthiest people in California move their businesses to Dallas, Austin, and Houston.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    @Mark94 is that the same one they plan to charge retroactively 10 years and 10 years after leaving the state? I saw something briefly on that but it was to stupid to be real. But then again nothing is too stupid ir too greedy for California Democrats.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Colorado is also booming. Trust fund babies are moving to Telluride. The outrageously rich are moving to Vail. The merely well off are moving to the foothills.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    I fled California many years ago. For years after I left, California continued to try and tax me. They even put a lien on me if I ever return. I had to hire a lawyer to fight it. Fucking Franchise Tax Board. Escape while you can !
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "I don't where I'd go at the point though. It's seem like this nonsense is a cancer that going everywhere, it's just only a matter of time."

Try Florida or Texas. We don't get riots with people trying to trash businesses here because they know better. Here in FL pulling a stunt like that can get you shot.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    A few Antifa types tried to disrupt the 80,000 bikers in Sturgis. Hilarious !
  • DenimChicken
    4 years ago
    Live downtown in one of these cities. Not as simple as red/blue but starting to entertain moving elsewhere next year.

Texas is great (born there, lived there most of my life) but the weather is just disgusting...hard to want to go back to that.

It's harder and harder to accept paying 600k+ to buy a nice place in the city and KNOW they are going to keep raising property taxes etc in the future. I could take that 600k and likely work remote elsewhere.
  • ime
    4 years ago
    "Just wait until Biden seizes power. All those Deplorable dickheads with AR-15's on courthouse steps will become target practice for the Feds. Then we'll see how these hillbillies scatter like cockroaches LOL."

Holy shit VH you are still a retard, Feds will be the ones getting shot in this scenario followed by the Democrat scumbag politicians, then worthless morons like you will be removed. Lets get this started you commie traitors time is up.
  • Tetradon
    4 years ago
    Trucidos, you realize we can tell you're liking your own comments? That that only makes you look more like a nimrod troll?

Those red state shitholes like New York, Chicago, Denver, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Minneapolis, LA, yep, suffering from decades of Republican mismanagement, they are.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    This is a good thread.

I’d have to have a lifestyle compatible for it. (Not to mention money) But my ideal I think would be to have one property that is a downtown condo. Where driving is completely optional because a your needs are nearby. And another place 1-3 hours away that’s a more isolated homestead out in the country. The kind of place where property sizes are huge and there is a mega mansion on one property, and then a mobile home on the next door property that’s a decent amount of space away. Really maximize what is best about city and country and forget the suburbs.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Maintaining 2 or 3 properties is expensive, stressful, time consuming, and limiting. I find it works better to own 1 property where you keep your stuff then rent get-away and vacation properties as desired. That way, you have infinite flexibility in travel choices.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Maintaining 2 or 3 properties is expensive, stressful, time consuming, and limiting.

Only if you can’t afford it it’s only stressful if you’re a broke ass phony looking to be a show off
    If you can afford it it’s the best way to go.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... As far as Spain, they could be facing a civil war in the near future ..."

IDK if this post was w.r.t. my post about living in Latin America b/c of the C.O.L. and the fact I'm fully-fluent in Spanish - but although Spain is Spanish-speaking, it's a European-country and not a Latin American country - living/retiring in Europe has never really been on my radar.

Why do you say Spain may have a civil-war in the near future?
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ".... The disaster scenario, which we’ve feared in Arizona for decades, is all these liberals flee the cities their politicians have destroyed, move to Red States, then vote in the same type of politicians rhey are fleeing ..."

+1 - the Cali/NY libs vote in people that with time make the area unlivable for many of those libs, then those libs move to other states and do the same thing there
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    I dont know why theres this belief that its cheaper to live in Texas then California, run the numbers for property taxes.

Owning property is the way to go. Inflation historically has been at 3% you can buy something at a fixed rate of 2.5 %.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Spain has had problems with Basque separist movement for decades but now the Catalans have stepped up efforts for splitting off from the rest of Spain. It’s getting serious.

As far as mentioning Spain, I read your post too quickly and assumed it was one of your possibilities. I’d certainly pick Spain over Central America. Lots of fond memories from my youth back when a bottle of Rioja was $.40. Yes, that’s forty cents.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Incidentally, Portugal has some interesting legal initiatives going on that would give them mineral, oil, and fishing rights to a huge portion of the Atlantic Ocean. It has to do with the Azores and other islands under Portuguese control. It could make Portugal a very wealthy country overnight. Just a fun fact.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    “run the numbers for property taxes.“

Isn’t California trying to kill Prop 13 ? If so, Cali property taxes would jump for many.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... Spain has had problems with Basque separist movement for decades but now the Catalans have stepped up efforts for splitting off from the rest of Spain. It’s getting serious ..."

I am somewhat aware of those two issues - but had not really kept up w/ them and kinda assumed both those issues had mostly dissipated.

Interesting info about Portugal.

w.r.t. picking Spain over Latin America, yes, Spain is def a more advanced country than L.A countries - I haven't looked into it but assumed C.O.L. in Spain would be significantly higher and C.O.L. would be my #1 (but not only) variable w.r.t. living/retiring overseas.

• mark94
    4 years ago
    About a million brits are retired on the Costa Del Sol. Im not sure what they do when Britain leaves the EU. I think southern Spain is pretty affordable, especially if you go inland a bit.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Housing near the beach for around $100,000.

https://www.spainhouses.net/en/sale-prop…
  • winex
    4 years ago
    There are a few catalysts behind the changes.

First, with the pandemic, more and more companies are allowing their employees to work remote on a permanent basis.

Second, the cities suffering the losses are incredibly expensive. If you don’t own a home in the area, a one bedroom apartment in the Bay Area is going to cost you at least $3,500 a month. Shortly before the pandemic, I had an opportunity for a job with a company in Menlo Park. The cheapest two bedrooms I saw there started at $10,000 a month.

But even if you own your own home, you pay through the nose for everything. The state income tax rate in California is 9.3% for anything over $57,824. It rises to 10.3% for incomes over $295,373 - which is a very attainable number for experienced tech people.

Of course the sales tax and the gas taxes are high too. The cost of everything is high.

And while admittedly the weather is nice, the quality of life sucks. ( unless you like watching homeless people take shits in the middle of the street or enjoy having your car broken into.)

If you make good money in any of those areas and have the ability to work remotely, the only rational thing is to take advantage of the opportunity and leave.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Incidentally, the costa del sol has plenty of strip clubs/brothels.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Apparently, Lake Tahoe property is going crazy with people fleeing SF. Personally, I’d choose incline village and avoid California taxes.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Half of Lake Tahoe is in Nevada. I’m guessing that properties on the Nevada side are in higher demand than on the California side.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Reno was trying to establish itself as a tech hub. I don’t think they got very far. Maybe that will change.
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    Reno is doing fine last I checked. Switch, Apple, Google, Amazon have all built massive centers out there. There is a massive tech/industrial area 25 minutes east of the city with its own airport driving growth. It was led by giving land and incentives to Tesla, along the same lines about the same thing that AOC said no to with Amazon. Which, of course she did - she didn’t want a bunch of $100k workers messing up her voter base. The only problem with Reno is it’s still a little hick out there.

Boise is another area fueled by tech, red, that is on fire.

I’m glad I saw the writing in the wall and moved away from the left coast. When Cali started taxing cow farts that’s all you need to know....
  • NJBalla
    4 years ago
    I actually moved closer to NYC because of the pandemic. Since everyone is moving to the suburbs of NJ there is a huge gap in all the new luxury apartments near the city. Add the huge discounts from landlords and I pay less.

However, if I had a family i would have fled to the suburbs. If you think times are tough now, imagine how crazy things will get in winter when people cant leave thier homes for outdoor dining and the 2020 election frenzy hits its peak.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion