tuscl

Cleveland Indians to determine 'best path forward' on name

joker44
In the wind
Friday, July 3, 2020 7:32 PM
The Cleveland Indians baseball team said Friday that it will "determine the best path forward with regard to our team name," becoming the second sports team referencing Native Americans to make such a move. Earlier Friday, the Washington's NFL team said it would conduct a "thorough review" of the team's name, which is a racial slur that has been long criticized. [view link]

38 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    Maybe a good compromise would be the Cleveland Muslims
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    I know it’s tough, the Cleveland Indians have so much great history (Most from back in the day and the 90’s but still), and great players it’s tough to let it go. But there is just no way in this kind of world the name and mascot have a future. It’s a classic though but if Native Americans see wrong in it hey we can figure something else out.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    The Indians can change their name to the Gandhi's Washington owned slaves. Change the capital to Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior City. Change the state to Microsoft. Wait until people realize how many counties and towns are named after prominent people from before 1865 that happened to own slaves or are named after Native Amercian tribes.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    What's gonna happen to the Jeep Cherokee.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    In all seriousness, I don't think that you can compare "Redskins", which is based on an epithet for a tribe of First National people, and a name based on a specific tribe (like Seminoles or Aztecs) which actually brings honor to those tribes. Ditto for teams named for other teams legitimately named for other recognized ethnic groups (Vikings, 49ers, Chiefs, Spartans, etc.). Indians should be gone - shoot, Columbus (arghhh, there you go!) totally misnamed them thinking he had sailed around to India, completely ignoring the continents between Europe and Asia. One other name that needs to disappear is Buckeyes, for reasons that should be obvious to any right thinking individual from the Wolverine State......😉
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Might I suggest Warriors as a substitute for Redskins? That wouldn't even require a logo change. My HS JV football team was named that, and none of the First Nation's kids, of whom there were a sizable number who played given that we abutted the Six Nations reservation, found that objectionable.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    Should we change the name of Oklahoma too? The name comes from the Choctaw Indian tribe and means “red people”.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    The Atlanta Braves have been attacked in the past for it's name. So I guess that will be coming again too. Are the Angeles and Padres offensive to religious groups?
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The Cleveland Whiny Bitch Progressives sounds right, if Joker gives up her rights to the name.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    Maybe they could be renamed - the white folk scalping - bow and arrow shooting - indigenous inhabitants of America?
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    There’s a path forward for the Indians. Embrace the name and get the support of some of the tribes. It’s not as focused as what FSU was able to do because Indians doesn’t attach to a tribe with authority to approve the name but they could find a way to embrace the name and support a tribe. They’ve already begun phasing our the caricature logo (is that chief wahoo?) and that’s the one thing that will have to go.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    “Phasing out” Fucking autocorrect and no damn edit button
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    Are the people from India offended by the name ? I don't hear any of those complaints if they are.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Funny thing about the Atlanta Braves. The protesters only show up if the Braves are in the playoffs or World Series. When the Braves are a .500 team they don't seem to care. The protester claimed they forced the Braves to take down Chief Nok-a-Homa's tipi. They actually took it down once they reached the playoffs because the tipi covered or obstructed about 200 seats.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    JimmyMcNulty makes a good point. As he mentioned - it might be a challenge if there’s no specific tribe involved. What happened to that chief who cried seeing folks litter? He might be an easy one to convince - just start an adopt a highway program in Cleveland sponsored by the team....
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    ZLOL! The dude wasn't even an Indian. The actor's name was Espera de Corti . He was Italian-American. He went by the stage name Iron Eyes Cody and played Indians throughout his acting career.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Braves and Blackhawks will be next. Just you watch.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    And the Chiefs too. This fucking world we are living in...
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    goldmongerATL - this is a sad day for me. I feel like a child learning the truth about Santa! Or hearing the Easter bunny was a local drunk who slept in a bunny costume.
  • bluemonday
    4 years ago
    What about the 'Vikings'... surely they took slaves too ? (or the Jets, what with climate change and Greta changing the world too, they should surely be banned) ... and dont event get me started on the Cleveland Browns, Cinninatii Reds, or worst of all the White Sox !! how 'ray-cist' is that ???
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    How about the Cowboys - surely most Cowboys are racist rednecks
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I think the Bills might take offense in Buffalo and while we’re on the subject WTF does a Buffalo have to do with chicken wings ?
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    ^^^From what I understand Buffalo Wings were invented at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York in 1964.
  • traveler2019
    4 years ago
    chicago Blackhawks (just change to Chicago BLM) Minnesota Vikings derogatory to norwegians North Dakota Sioux Oklahoma (look it up) Red People Dakota Illinois San Diego Padres religious Los Angeles religious San Francisco Washington slave owner Change the name of Capital and the State and the dollar bill Florida Seminoles etc etc Michigan State Spartans Violence Nike should stop selling all of these teams geat.
  • traveler2019
    4 years ago
    Let's name sports teams after flowers like Pansies, Tulips, Daffodils, and Roses
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ that would be discriminating against flowers
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    If they were farther north - I’d suggest the Snowflakes!
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    @traveler - they already forced North Dakota to change their name to the "Fighting Hawks" several years ago. I guess they were ahead of the curve...
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Call them the Cleveland trannies so people know they are Democrats.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    Well, Ohio is from an Iroquois word that I'm sure is offensive, and no doubt Moses Cleaveland owned a slave or two so we'll have to rename both of those too..............
  • PredragDr
    4 years ago
    I can't believe oddsmakers say the two favorite replacement names are the Naps or Spiders. I still wear my camouflage Chief Wahoo hat with pride.
  • 99rocky
    4 years ago
    They used to be known as the Naps. There also used to be a ML team called the Spiders. Those wouldn't be new names and there's nothing wrong with going back to either name.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I guess we'll now have to change the name of the New England "patriots" so as not to offend the low life garbage living in this country that hates patriots.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I suppose they will have to ban the movie "Major League" starring Tom Berenger and Charlie Sheen. In the movie the new owner of the Cleveland Indians, former showgirl Rachel Phelps (Margaret Whitton), has a sweetheart deal to move the team to Miami.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Better put the Major League movies on that same shelf with Song of the South
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    Take the opposite path - and rename them to the Cleveland N*gg*rs. Then have a white dude in black face as the mascot. That would be a big f-you to the movement.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... replacement names are the Naps or Spiders ..." Naps? That sounds pretty-racist. Are they implying people in Cleveland have nappy-hair - this systemic racuam has no sense of decency.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Teams have bowed to political pressure before. In the 50's the Reds were the Red Legs so the owners would not feel the wrath of the McCarthy Red Scare witch hunt.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion