tuscl

George Floyd honored

Friday, June 5, 2020 8:37 AM
That televised memorial honoring George Floyd was a farce. The cop Chauvin deserves to be vilified but that doesn't make Floyd a hero. [view link]

31 comments

• shadowcat
    4 years ago
    She has it right!
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Floyd didn't deserve what happened to him but he sure as hell isn't a hero or a saint. Watching news yesterday morning there was a commercial for last night's upcoming "Entertaintment Tonight" tv program. It was to feature a hollywood tribute to Floyd. WTF? What does Floyd have to do with hollywood? Liberal America is getting crazier every day.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ why not - Hollywood holds tributes for white-victims all the time - I assume
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    The Democrats will make every effort to not miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Here’s some background on George Floyd. By most accounts, he turned his life around in Minneapolis but his time in Houston was not covered with honor. It makes you wonder what locals will turn out for his Houston memorial and funeral. [view link]
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    I have a friend who passed 3 weeks ago... still no funeral because the funeral home can only have 10 people in the chapel. Now Biden can go to a funeral
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    >By most accounts, he turned his life around Except for his last day when he was on drugs and driving impaired endangering the lives of innocent people.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    As has been posted before, 2 things can be true at the same time - yes Floyd may have not lived a perfect life but the way he was treated was beyond fucked-up - the image of Floyd's face pressed against the ground with a knee on his neck while he's in a totally helpless position is extremely disturbing.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    And, here are 2 other true things - the way George Floyd was treated was beyond fucked up - it’s a little weird to have a public memorial for someone in a city where they led an armed home invasion gang
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    honestly this is a dog and pony show, i might be a psychopath but i never shown this much grief even when my grand parents died. [view link] Papi didnt feel that when its an elderly white male compared to a 40 year old black male high on drugs
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    Both could have used better judgement
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    You're really gonna compare the level of force used against Floyd to that used against the 75 y/o man and say it was equal?
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    Funerals and obituaries trend to saying good things about the deceased, sometimes the lowlights are acknowledged but not often. No reason to crap on Floyd at his memorial, it'll be adequately covered on FoxNews
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    And I suspect Trump's narcissistic sociopathy won't be highlighted at his memorial service whenever that might be
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    Floyd was treated poorly and it was wrong what happened to him
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Yes, God forbid anyone should ever have to say that someone played a part in a bad thing that happened .........
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    DeclineToState.... you are gonna need to change your name, you talking more than a group of teenage girls. the is no fucking way you are declining to state anything
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    Papi in both examples i think the use of force is excessive, however, you say the old man should use better judgement. You should apply that to floyd as well. Floyd was high on drugs zombie like. the police handled him accordingly untill they cuffed him and layed on him. this is one of your comments: "That's like saying if you punch a senior citizen and they lose their balance and hit their head and die, that it was b/c of their old age and losing their balance and not the punch." The old guy has not died yet but if he does then his judgement should not matter? these protest are filled with hypocrisy. Floyds funeral too, COVID is irrelavant now? his family can mourn but people that lost love ones, high school/college graduates, and people getting married cant get together....HYPOCRISY I like the police but they need reform, change their tactics.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Mandate body cams for all cops. Make it cause for immediate termination if they turn it off. Eliminate qualified immunity for the cops. Apply the same law to them as everyone else. Do this, and cases of police violence will drop to nearly zero and confidence in cops will be restored.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Good Idea Mark sometimes you can surprise me that suggestion is excellent.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Will qualified immunity for people like Eric Holder and William Barr remain? Will it remain for Judges? Fire Department? Building Inspector? The idea that qualified immunity only covers the police is fucking bullshit. How do we have a conversation if people don't even know what they're talking about? Would anyone ever be stupid enough to take a job where one bad day wipes out your life savings? Lets enf corporate immunity too as I am sure every scientist would put their future and that of their family on the line creating an experimental drug. Would any of you ever be a cop if you had no protection?
  • Salty.Nutz
    4 years ago
    ^^you can add nurses, doctors...
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Why not just change the immunity from qualified immunity, to the same type of immunity that applies to anyone acting in good faith, there should not be an expectation of immunity if you act outside of established rules of behavior. Problem with qualified immunity it's really a misnamed term, and confers blanket immunity to anyone covered by it.
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    What happened to the good old days when when a cop who murdered a handcuffed black man would get a medal instead of being arrested?
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    ->:DeclineToState.... you are gonna need to change your name, you talking more than a group of teenage girls. the is no fucking way you are declining to state anything." Ya, I should probably change it to Won'tShutTheFuckUp or WhyWon'tHeShutTheFuckUp or something like that
  • BabyDoc
    4 years ago
    @skibum “How do we have a conversation if people don't even know what they're talking about?” What kind of question is that? Are you new to TUSCL or something? *** The previous statement was rhetorical…or satirical…or something. I don’t really know what the hell I’m talking about…
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    "... What happened to the good old days when when a cop who murdered a handcuffed black man would get a medal instead of being arrested ..." Hey - good times don't last forever - just sayin'
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    There was a good piece in the Wall Street Journal this week, I almost posted it but you have to have a membership to read it. This article references the majority of it. Quite interesting [view link]
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    Okay ski. Here’s what I know about qualified immunity for cops ( I don’t know and don’t care about how it applies to other government employees). 1. It’s a doctrine that came out of the courts many years ago. It was not created by legislation. 2. The standard is so broad that it is nearly impossible to sue a cop no matter how egregious their actions. 3. Modifying the standard to allow lawsuits in a case of something like George Floyd ( but not for smaller errors) would provide incentive for cops to stay within the lines. 4. There must be some language that would properly draw the line so that an honest cop wouldn’t fear being sued, but a dirty cop would feel the heat. 5. Oh yeah, speaking of Eric Holder, I wouldn’t mind redrawing the line for DAs as well.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    The situation w/ pops seems like a series of events gone wrong w/ an unfortunate ending: 1) seems the police at the moment was engaged with a group of protesters - IDK the details but it appeared to be a heightened situation 2) pops IMO used poor judgement approaching the police in the middle of an apparent engagement w/ a group of protesters - it'd be similar to a 75 y/o man trying to get into the middle of a meley of full-grown men even if they were all civilians The cops did not target pops - pops approached the cops in the middle of an apparent engagement, and even then they just pushed him off to the side IMO to get him to clear out, IMO if it was their intent to hurt pops they could have done a lot worse - it was not a given/known that pops would subsequently lose his balance from a non-violent push seemingly meant to clear a particular area - it was an unfortunate and IMO unplanned result but things are often not gonna be rosy when cops are trying to assert their authority with people unwilling to comply - pops either unwittingly made a mistake approaching cops under those circumstances, or he was actively defying the cops' orders as many an "activist" seem to do.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    ^ wrong thread - was meant for the thread about the 75 y/o Buffalo man that was pushed by police and then fell to the floor and hit his head
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion