tuscl

3 best albums.compilations of music

skibum609
Massachusetts
Thursday, June 4, 2020 11:15 AM
You will be stranded alone for 5 years, with plenty of food and water. You are allowed 3 music albums/compilations etc. and nothing else to entertain you. Which 3 do you choose? For me I choose, in no particular order: Dookie/Green Day; Moondance/Van Morrison; Excitable Boy/Warren Zevon. You?

45 comments

• rattdog
    4 years ago
    LED ZEPPELIN PHYSICAL GRAFFITTI LED ZEPPELIN THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL CHRONICLES
  • magicrat
    4 years ago
    Bruce Springsteen/Darkness on the Edge of Town Pink Floyd/Dark Side of the Moon Jason Isbell/Southeastern
  • GoVikings
    4 years ago
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles Blackstar by Mos Def & Talib Kweli In Rainbows by Radiohead
  • gobstopper007
    4 years ago
    U2 Joshua Tree Def Leppard Hysteria Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction Cool topic by the way
  • ime
    4 years ago
    Shock Troops by Cock Sparrer 40 Miler by Tim Barry The Last Waltz by The Band
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn, John Hiatt -Bring The Family, Bruce Springsteen - Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live 1975-1985. I need 10, but I'm in Ski compliance! Others have mention contenders for my top 10, including Van Morrison - Moondance, U2 - Joshua Tree, and CCR - Chronicles. I hope the audio equipment rocks!
  • datinman
    4 years ago
    If I could maximize my entertainment by having box set compilations it would be: Ken Burns Jazz: The story of America's music Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era 1998 box No Thanks! The 70's Punk Rebellion If limited to single artist compilations: Neil Young Decade Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Bob Marley Legend
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    I love all the music mentioned but, if I’m going to listen to the same music one thousand times, it has to be something timeless. Something that can be studied with multiple layers to it. I’ll go with Beethoven ( his 9th symphony ), Bach, and Mozart.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    It’s really hard to keep this to three. But here goes Led Zeppelin II Prince Purple Rain Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA
  • RTP
    4 years ago
    Since you said compilations were okay, I would go with The Eagles Greatest Hits, Queen Greatest Hits, and Elton John Greatest Hits.
  • Mark974
    4 years ago
    Some of mine would be, if having to limit to three; Neil Diamond - All-Time Greatest Hits Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits Kalapana Greatest Hits (Hawaiian regge '80s)
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    The Who/ Tommy The Beatles/ Rubber Soul Simon and Garfunkel/ Live at Central Park
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    U2 Unforgettable Fire Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon Beethoven's Symphony's 1-9
  • FishHawk
    4 years ago
    Dave Brubeck/Time Out Miles Davis/Kind of Blue George Harrison/Concert for the Bangladesh
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    This reminds me I still have two plastic milk crates of albums.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    The Clash - London Calling REM - Fables of the Reconstruction Anita Baker - Rapture
  • Shlidgn90
    4 years ago
    Fleetwood Mac -Rumours Dr Dre - the Chronic Stevie Wonder-Songs in the key of Life.
  • Cristobal
    4 years ago
    Tragic Kingdom, No Doubt Violator, Depeche Mode Amar es Combatir, Mana
  • Electronman
    4 years ago
    Lots of great suggestions above. To avoid repetition: Bob Dylan, Greatest Hits Joni Mitchell, Blue (for a melancholy day) John Prine, Bruised Orange
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    @Cash I love Anita Baker’s Rapture 1. Nas Illmatic (By far the best album ever) 2. A tribe called quest-Low end Theory 3. A tribe called quest-midnight marauders I would say I’m a rock guy at heart but these are albums where I truly liked virtually every song off the album. No filler.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    I’m sorry that the guy got hurt. But . . . he approached an advancing police line, he was warned several times to get back, he didn’t, it looked like he was reaching for one of the cops, and he was pushed back. It didn’t look like the kind of push that should have caused someone of normal physical abilities to fall down and get hurt, especially that severely. What are the cops supposed to do if some refuses several orders to move back? Just say never mind and let him through? Then the stupid police put out a statement saying he just tripped and fell, without mentioning he had been shoved so now it looks like an attempted cover up.
  • doctorevil
    4 years ago
    Oops. Wrong thread.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    AC/DC - Back in Black
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits Jimmy Buffett - Volcano or Son of a Son of a Sailor --- please, don't make me choose! Carrie Hassler and Hard Rain - Carrie Hassler and Hard Rain
  • jimmiedean
    4 years ago
    Quadraphenia-The Who Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd Rainbow-Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    The "stranded alone for 5 years" proviso automatically calls for "the best of" albums. Pick favorite decade or genre. Oops, cop out answer here. Delving further into question: If I'm being stranded for 5 years, I'd want music to suit 3 different moods. So here's the moods, and "The Best Of" artists. MELLOW/CHILL MOOD: John Barry, Frank Sinatra. Can't go wrong with Barry, but being alone for 5 yrs. makes one want a human voice, so I threw Sinatra into the consideration mix. KICK ASS MOOD: The Who, Grand Funk Railroad. Tommy is a great Who Album, but I like many of their other songs, so the greatest of is appropriate. GFR is underrated, I prefer their Gimme Shelter rendition to the Rolling Stones version. IN BETWEEN MOOD: The Ventures, Beach Boys. Love those Ventures instrumentals, but just might like a human voice once in a while. HONORABLE MENTIONS: Beatles, Chicago, Alan Parsons Project, Louis Armstrong.
  • Crownation
    4 years ago
    Wire- Pink Flag Ramones- Ramones Alice Cooper- Love it to Death Stuck in the 70s forever
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I could easily live with your 3 choices. Saw Alice Cooper and the Ramones live.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    Wow, that's a hard question. I'd want music that spanned a long period of time. 1. Led Zep - Houses of the Holy. Very few bands can pull off a switch from the unique style that made them famous to going back to the rock 'n roll roots that paved the way for them. 2. The Cars - Candy-O - Great music, plus I have something to jerk off to when looking at the album cover. 3. Nirvana - In Utero - No explanation needed. If I could beg for a 4th choice and they'd give it to me: 4. Pink Floyd - The Wall - The only reason it's not in my top three is that I've listened to it so many times I can almost hear every bit of it in my mind.
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Metallica Load and Reload. John Clarke Acoustic Guitar.
  • londonguy
    4 years ago
    Glad to see Pink Floyd featuring on a few comments, had the good fortune to see them twice before the split. My top 3 Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin Greatest Hits - Queen
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    minnow: You get 40 demerits! I don't recall Ski mentioning 3 Reel to Reel Tapes to satisfy the requirement! For such a stickler on form and content of reviews - I expect better!
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    @rockie- OP mentioned "albums/compilations. The "best of" could be considered a compilation. Even with a long tape or multiple CD's. You now get to go to the back of the class and repeat "Reading Comprehension 101" course.
  • DeclineToState
    4 years ago
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On U2 - Achtung Baby (Unforgettable Fire = close second) Beatles - 1967-1970 (compilation - the blue one) Geez, skibum, do a guy a favor and give us more than 3 @gobstopper: I'd take High 'n' Dry over Hysteria any day @minnow: I'll give GFR's Gimme Shelter cover a listen, the Stones version is one of my favorite songs
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd Pronounced - Lynyrd Skynyrd Back in Black - AC/DC
  • rockie
    4 years ago
    I read it quite precisely and chose to stick with the model, as exhibited by the author. If you don't see it as putting restraints on a passion (a number of us have), then you can interpret compilations, as including one's home brew concoction, I was amused by Justin Tolook's store bought offerings to get more variety and yours as well!
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Rush - Moving Pictures The Who - Who's Next Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Yes Jimmiedean -Quadrophenia/The Whi is my all time fav 2. Street Survivors/ Lynyrd Skynyrd 3. Copperhead Road/ Steve Earle
  • Daddillac
    4 years ago
    Copperhead Road and street survivors were both awesome underated albums
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    Great picks crosscheck. Here's a few that nobody has mentioned yet: Boston Foreigner Asia If you can go with multi-lp albums: Made In Japan Yessongs Exit... Stage Left
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    @yahtzee74. Thanks man. Can't go wrong with Exit...Stage Left. Or any live Deep Purple with the Mark II lineup. Live songs don't get better than Child in Time with the classic DP lineup.
  • Mate27
    4 years ago
    The Who- Live at Leeds
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    ^ Bang! The live version of Magic Bus is a longtime fave that brings up lots of great memories! I saw this thread when it first started but I couldn't name just 3. First time back since the beginning and don't have time to read it but I'll try to on my next visit whenever that may be. ;-)
  • daddyfatsack
    4 years ago
    Damn 3 is tough... 1) The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill 2) Aquemini by Outkast 3) Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
  • TommyMoney
    4 years ago
    Maynard Ferguson - compilation Dire Straits - compilation RUSH - absolutely everything they ever fukkin recorded
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion