tuscl

New welcome page

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:49 AM
The new welcome page adds an extra step on the way to the TUSCL home page, but I can understand that Founder needs to tell the newbies what they are getting into. We all know that TUSCL is the best site for hobbyists, but I thought that some of you might have some thoughts on some of the welcome page claims. For example, "These reviews are not submitted by strip club owners." In fact, I feel fairly certain that some club owners open dumby accounts and try to manipulate their numbers. It's easy to do if the club has very few reviews and more difficult if they have many reviews. Still, I think that it is possible because it is the only way to explain the very high ratings for Industrial Strip. If you look at IS reviews carefully you will see that a few reviewers offer multiple posts, and if you look at those reviewers' reviews you will see that they review very few other clubs - except to rate their local competition low. Another claim, "Our algorithm makes it impossible for one member to sway a club's rating." I'd like to know more about that. Does that mean that when I review a club multiple times my reviews carry less weight?

27 comments

• shadowcat
    17 years ago
    Yes. When you review a club as much as I review my favorite club, I have no overall effect on the final score. The # of reviews shown on the top 40 should actually read reviewers. If you go to one of clubs, you will see that there is actually many more reviews. For example, I do 100 reviews for my favorite club and my average rating is 9. You come along and do 1 review and give it a 7. The average for the club is 8. Got it?
  • founder
    17 years ago
    shadowcat is right in how the algorithm works. as for club owners reviewing their own clubs, there may be a few in here, but for the most part you can tell who they are. for the most part, the new home page is simply a way of moving a bunch of redundant text off the main page. just bookmark the main index page instead of the home page, and you will never have to see it again.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    It's not true that each person's rating only counts once, all he has to do is register multiple names, and I'm sure lots of people (eg. club managers) have done exactly that. I've seen several clubs where whenever someone gives it a bad rating the very next day someone new comes along and gives it a 10. Coincidence? I doubt it.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    It's not true that each person's rating only counts once, all he has to do is register multiple names, and I'm sure lots of people (eg. club managers) have done exactly that. I've seen several clubs where whenever someone gives it a bad rating the very next day someone new comes along and gives it a 10. Coincidence? I doubt it.
  • founder
    17 years ago
    FONDL, if you ever see suspicious reviews, please notify us ASAP. We don't take those things lightly. We have deleted reviews and user accounts with NO WARNING when it is an obvious attempt to sway ratings.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    Founder: Speaking of suspicious reviews... Please check out the review of Hip Hugger on 7/6, by NIX. In his review, he says, and I quote, "The dj plays decent music and the overall vibe is great." Well, anyone that's actually been to the World Famous Hip Hugger, would know that there is NO DJ at the HH - just a juke box. My guess is, since he is a very recent member, he posted a dummy review to get a free month of TUSCL membership. That sort of thing really annoys me, since I have chosen to become a lifetime member just so I'm never tempted to enter a faux review for membership credit. I recommend removal of the review, and perhaps consideration to ban the user, unless he accidentally reviewed the wrong club.
  • founder
    17 years ago
    Thanks DougS... taken care of.
  • FONDL
    17 years ago
    Founder, the place I was thinking of is Playhouse Lounge in Burlington, NJ, which for a long time was the highest rated club in the US. Every time someone posted a less than spectacular review, it was immediately followed by another couple giving it a 10. No way could anyone give that place a 10, it's not even close. And I wouldn't be too quick to drop a review that has a factual error in it, sometimes you don't accurately remember every detail, especially if you've been drinking. If the place was crowded and the guy had had a few, it would be easy not to realize that the music was coming from a juke box instead of a dj. So what's a Founder to do? Tough call.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    Thanks DougS. I noticed that review on the HH myself about a DJ when they have a jukebox. I think I made a comment about his review in one of our discussion boards. These are things (reading reviews) that we all must watch for and bring to founder's attention. A good solid website like this one, has a lot of member input, and we need to weed out the dishonest members/posters.
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    Accidents happen. Wrong club gets a review. Recently theDirk444, a strip club buddy of mine, posted a review for my favorite club. He meant the review to be for a sister club. He emailed founder and F fixed it up. I once read a review for my favorite club that said that it was a BYOB club. Not true. He may have confused it with the Memphis PP. I let it pass because it was not negative. I think that founder is right when he says that we can spot the phonies. A while back a reviewer posted things about dancers in my favorite club that I knew to be false. Just a punk kid trying to impress people. I called him on it on the club chat board. He tried to further bull shit me and the rest of the regulars. He has not been heard from since. Doubt a reviewer? Check his credentials. What other reviews has he done? Know your reviewers. I trust all of the regulars on this discussion board.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    A GREAT way to spot the phonies in my neck of the woods is to find dudes who post only positively about only one club at regular chronological intervals. Gee what a surprise ...
  • kcquestor
    17 years ago
    It sure would be nice to be able to post a comment about a review. Comments wouldn't count towards the rating, but would be a place where people could post additional info, clarify ambiguities, or correct mistakes. I can't tell you how many reviews I've seen that made me want to post a reply.
  • Clubber
    17 years ago
    kcquestor, I don't use, but sometimes read, the club chat area. I think it just might be what you want. Perhaps other users can be more informative.
  • founder
    17 years ago
    kcquestor- I like that idea... Look for it soon
  • shadowcat
    17 years ago
    BG: That sounds like me but I and others can assure you that I do not have any financial interest in my favorite club. I just wish I did. kcquestor: Excellent idea. I have thought about that many times but never took it up with founder. He has become a lot more personal with the guys on this board.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I've also wanted to post comments and ended up posting them in the discussion which I somehow doubt that anyone saw since those clubs had no discussion. There are also times when you might just want to post a comment about a club instead of a review. Things like "Syndey Steel appearing this weekend as a feature entertainer or Harley up for auction this Saturday at the club, raffles tickets sold at the club, or Members only birthday celebration at Nepals. etc. I could put that information in the club discussion but I don't usually look at that since there is usually nothing there and I doubt too many others think about it. Just a thought. If nothing else it would be nice to see a note about comments posted when looking at a club. Good idea about adding comments.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    Maybe if you could read a note about new comments posted if a club is in your hot list that would be nice.
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    I think it would be best to keep comments on reviews where you didn't see them unless you clicked to display them. Like a link that appears in the heading of each review if there are any comments, and showing how many. One of the best things about TUSCL reviews is that they focus on ***THE CLUB***, not other reviewers. If I want to read a lot of back and forth carping about what has been posted, I know of another strip club list for that, and it doesn't begin with The Ultimate.
  • Book Guy
    17 years ago
    Threading, sub-threading, sub-sub-threading ... not enough is problematic, too much is problematic. It's a question of subtle balance.
  • motorhead
    17 years ago
    Maybe too much to hope for, but in a perfect world it would be nice to have a comment area about a certain club/review, but without all the SCL B.S. that chandler spoke of. Striking that subtle balance may be too difficult.
  • casualguy
    17 years ago
    I don't think it would be hard but I'm not doing the programming. Just display a link called new comments and have a number beside it indicating how many new comments there are. If it's a big zero, I won't bother clicking on it. Most clubs don't have anything posted in the discussion and I imagine comments might be similiar but maybe slightly more busy if it's easier to notice.
  • kcquestor
    17 years ago
    Thanks for listening, Founder. It will be nice to have a way to make a note about a club that doesn't involve a review. I know about the "Discuss" link at the top, but it is kind of out of the way and you don't know if there is any discussion going on. And most clubs don't have any posts in the discussion area anyway. It would be perfect if we could comment specifically on a particular review, rather than all the comments about a club being lumped together. That way if someone says in their review "I had a good time with Brandi", someone else can post that Brandi moved to another club. Or whatever.
  • DougS
    17 years ago
    Founder: YES! This is sounding better all the time! First, thanks for your responsiveness. I like the way you monitor the board and jump in once in a while. You do a great job and offer a great service to us sick guys out here. It's MUCH appreciated! I like what KCQuestor is suggesting. It would be MOST excellent if you could add a link to a specific review that would allow comments related to that review. In my mind, the possibilities are endless, but some of the perks of such a link would really enhance my TUSCL experience. As Chandler mentioned, I don't think we'd want the comments readily available...it'd be better to have a link to display associated comments only if you were interested. As CasualGuy suggested, it'd be extra helpful if there was a count - or better yet a date/time of the last comment, so that we can determine if there is something to read without wasting time to click over to the comment page. Many times, I've read a posted a review and wanted to comment or ask questions, but obviously I wouldn't post another review to do so, and if I did, it'd probably (and hopefully) get rejected. I've posted items in the discussion section for the associated club, but I don't think many people check that, 'cause I never received a response. Heck, I don't even check that section. It sounds like this could be an awesome enhancement to your site.
  • chandler
    17 years ago
    David: I think limiting comments on reviews to registered users would help. What makes SCL so bad is the lack of registration for posters. (Along with absence of any moderator or editor.) Everybody posts anonymously and uses the "your name" field for their subject line. With no one building and maintaining credibility for their nicknames, they just hurl abuse at each other and at the dancers. The same thing happens to some degree on TUSCL's Club Message Boards or Club Chat. Even with registration, because comments are directed at a particular reviewer, some people would be bound to use them to make personal attacks. I could see one of the trolls clicking on a nickname and posting the same insult as a spam/comment on every one of their reviews. I still like the idea, I just think it needs to be carefully implemented to keep the bastards from ruining it for everyone.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    One way of "critquing" a review as far as its authenticity and content, is to bring back the "CLUB MESSAGE BOARD", and make entries on those boards.
  • ThisOldManPlayed1
    17 years ago
    Actually, now that I checked, each club has a Club Discussion Board, which used already for the HH. This would be a great place to center discussions on one particular club. Sure would be nice if we could get a chatroom here, but I understand the complications to opening one up and probably server problems.
  • motorhead
    17 years ago
    Here is an example of why a club chatroom might be an interesting feature. My daily routine includes scanning the recent reviews for anything of interest. I rarely read the actual reviews unless there is anything for me of local interest. Today I saw a Salt Lake City club with rating of 6. It was intriguing to me how a Utah club could achieve this high of a rating. I read the review -- but am still baffled. No touching, no laps, no tipping, breasts are covered with pasties....OK everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it would be fun to chat with this fellow to try and understand his rating system. To me, this sounds like a one or two. I guess it's the theory of relativity. Is he comparing the club to other SLC clubs or what? Just my 2 cents worth on why a chatroom could be fun.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion