tuscl

1918 ‘Spanish’ flu outbreak is playing out just like ‘reopen’ protesters in 2020

joker44
In the wind
Sunday, April 19, 2020 6:36 PM
[view link] National Public Radio reporter Tim Mak wrote an extensive Twitter thread after researching the way the flu outbreak spread throughout the United States in the early 20th century. It began in San Francisco in Sept. 2018, he explained, and people were successfully wearing masks and cases were dropping. By November, public health officials said the city could reopen. “Residents rushed to entertainment venues after having been denied this communal joy for months. The mayor himself was fined by his own police chief after going to a show without a mask,” said Mak. Another wave of the virus came in Dec. 1918 and the health officials told people to start wearing masks again, but people refused. Businesses were worried about their Christmas sales, so they opposed the efforts, as did the Culinary Workers Union. Residents were over it, and they’d already been dealing with it for months. Police began fining or arresting people for not wearing masks, which sparked lawsuits from people claiming it was their Constitutional right to risk their own lives. Christian Scientists said it was “subversive of personal liberty” and civil libertarians claimed no one could force them to wear masks. After the San Francisco Chronicle came out against mandatory masks, the death rate continued to climb, said Mak. “An op-ed ran in the local paper w/headline ‘What’s The Use?’ after a man got sick despite following public health guidelines,” he explained. “A promised vaccine turned out to be bogus. Hundreds of citizens congregated on Dec. 16 to debate a masking order.” On Dec. 18, a bomb was sent to the city’s public health official. San Francisco’s Public Health Officer stuck by his guns, refusing to back down, and saying there was evidence that masks helped! He implored the public to look to the data! Wear masks! They help! More via Crosby: [view link] — Tim Mak (@timkmak) April 19, 2020 On Dec. 19, he explained that officials voted down an order that would make wearing a mask mandatory. “The dollar sign is exalted above the health sign,” the public health officer said, according to Mak. The worst rate of deaths from the flu pandemic was Dec. 30. “It is of no time to quibble over the worth of the mask. It is the best thing we have found to date, and if you have anything better, for God’s sake, give it to us,” said a representative of an organized labor group. Finally, the council reconsidered their vote and passed the order on Jan. 10. A whopping 600 new cases were reported just that day. “Citizens were arrested/fined for not having masks on, but widespread disobedience of the order continue & large numbers of citizens refused to wear masks,” said Mak, noting that the protests still continued. “Over 2,000 people attended an event formed by San Franciscans called themselves ‘THE ANTI-MASK LEAGUE,’ denouncing the mandatory masking ordinance. The protesters were a group of “public-spirited citizens, skeptical physicians, and fanatics,” Crosby wrote. Stockton Daily Evening Record (Stockton, California) It was something Mak noted was remarkably similar to what is happening today with the protests around the country demanding a reopening of the government even if it will kill people. He noted that the public health officer was the 1919 version of Dr. Anthony Fauci, the NIH virus expert that has been appointed to the coronavirus task force by the president. President Donald Trump’s supporters have now decided that they are against Fauci. To this day, Mak said that no one credits wearing masks with helping stop the flu pandemic of the era. SOURCES: The University of Michigan's Influenza Encyclopedia The San Francisco Chronicle’s archives America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby American Pandemic by Nancy Bristow /END THREAD — Tim Mak (@timkmak) April 19, 2020 While the flu was referred to as the “Spanish Flu,” it actually had nothing to do with Spain, it’s that Spain was the first country to talk about it openly. Other countries were suffering from it but were dealing with WWI battles. The flu spread throughout trenches during the war, killing over 45,000 American soldiers and hospitalizing 1.2 million soldiers. SOURCES: The University of Michigan's Influenza Encyclopedia The San Francisco Chronicle’s archives America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby American Pandemic by Nancy Bristow /END THREAD — Tim Mak (@timkmak) April 19, 2020

23 comments

• jackslash
    4 years ago
    Here's a video on the 1918 Spanish Flu. Beware of the second and third waves. [view link]
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    joker, good job of partial research. Next time keep going until you fleshed it all out. The biggest problems with the Spanish flu were not the disease itself, but: (1) inadequate access to health care resources; and, most importantly; (2) no antibiotics. Most people who died of the Spanish flu perished due to secondary infections, like bacterial pneumonia, that are now treatable with a pill. But it is also important to recognize that COVID-19 does not have the same mortality rate as the Spanish flu, even if conditions were the same now as they were back then. New studies are likening it to the seasonal flu, albeit a lot more contagious. [view link]
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    @dugan "joker, good job of partial research. Next time keep going until you fleshed it all out." I understand, based on the number and content of your recent posts, that you're under quite a lot of tension. Still, that's no excuse for fundamentally misunderstanding my OP. I'll take slow and piecemeal for you. I didn't do ANY research, partial or otherwise. NPR's Tim Mak did all the research and posted to his Twitter account. I simply posted a copy of Mak's thread via RawStory. Consequently, if you're *really serious* about your critical remarks you should post them to Mak's Twitter thread: [view link] so that he, the researcher and author, can respond. tl;dr: Put your balls where your month is and post your criticism to Tim Mak's Twitter thread. PS: I'll refrain from any further replies to you knowing how much you enjoy fomenting conflict in order to distract yourself from some unpleasant emotions of the moment and gain gratification or amusement from the excitement and tension you help produce.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I have no doubt Dugan will put that Mak guy in his place in no time
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    @Papi 😁 Just saw the following: "Tim Mak - NPR's Washington Investigative Correspondent. Covering politics, with an interest in *natsec/tech/disinfo.* **Also an EMT.**" Time to make some popcorn 😁
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I miss SJG after reading shit from a frightened old man.
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    The Spanish Flu hit at a time when millions of soldiers were crammed into trenches, barracks, and transport ships. But, I’m sure the lack of face masks was the main cause of the spread.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "tl;dr: Put your balls where your month is and post your criticism to Tim Mak's Twitter thread." I would if I had a Twitter account. As far as the rest of your post, there was no confusion over what Mak researched, which was the Spanish flu and public activities surrounding it. I am simply contending that comparing it to the COVID-19 era has several fundamental flaws. Once you re-post something written by someone else, you take ownership and earn the same criticism that the original author would for the half baked comparison.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    I am very much looking forward to the results of the anti-body tests. New York is about to do a very large study of the entire state this week. I think what they are going to find is that there are a LOT more people that actually had it compared to the confirmed cases. Thus, this thing is a lot more contagious but and lot less deadly. I have seen estimates that as much as 15% or more of the New York population already has the anti-bodies. If that is true, then the next waves will be much smaller, we will be much better prepared, and we will have treatments by then. OPEN IT UP !
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    A non-peer reviewed study showed almost 1/3 of the ppl tested had it and never knew it. My 22 year old niece is positive she had it and infected her entire houseg=hold, but couldn't get a test although her boss had taken her to lunch after going out to dinner 2 nights in a row with Rudy Gobert.
  • yahtzee74
    4 years ago
    >It began in San Francisco in Sept. 2018 It didn't begin in San Francisco. Should have wrote "In San Franciscio, it began in Sept. 1918. (Of course 1918 and not 2018)
  • bkkruined
    4 years ago
    Though the Spanish Flu and Coronavirus may be very different. It does sound an awful lot like people's response and the politics surrounding them are remarkably the same.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    True and in just another 20,000 Corona deaths we'll equal the number of flu deaths from two years ago. Glory be to God.
  • Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    There were no statewide or nationwide "lockdowns" during the Spanish Flu and I believe not even full city lockdowns anywhere. Nothing even comparable to what they are doing to us now has ever been done in human history. Not even close. The term "lockdown" comes from prisons by the way. Something to think about.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Progressives love the lockdown becuase it makes everyone a failure and therefore the same as them.
  • JAprufrock
    4 years ago
    @Dugan I would if I had a Twitter account. Had no idea getting a Twitter account during a time of pandemic is as difficult as getting tested for COVID-19.
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    ⬆ @JA re: Dugan: "I would if I had a Twitter account." No account needed. Phone/Gmail contact info prominently displayed. Paper Tiger - tough guy on TUSCL; hides behind excuses IRL. Tim Mak @timkmak NPR's Washington Investigative Correspondent. Covering politics, with an interest in natsec/tech/disinfo. Also an EMT. ********************202/870-7566 Gmail: timkmak*******************************
  • JamesSD
    4 years ago
    Wow people were babies in the past and couldn't even wear masks
  • mark94
    4 years ago
    At the end of the first wave, Philadelphia threw a parade and celebration for surviving the flu. That caused another wave of infections.
  • Kudabra
    4 years ago
    Dumbasses don’t learn from history. Stay the fuck at home a couple extra weeks so I can go back to TJ sooner!
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "At the end of the first wave, Philadelphia threw a parade and celebration for surviving the flu. That caused another wave of infections." So then let the old people stay home so that the rest of us can get back to normalcy. More and more studies now are being published which indicate that this has been far more widespread than we initially believed and that it is relatively benign for the overwhelming majority of the population.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Progressive = sheeple.
  • JAprufrock
    4 years ago
    @skibum, don't listen to these progressive leftist libtards. Live your life and screw the lockdown. Mingle with people. Morbidly obese 70-year-olds like you have nothing to worry about. Trust me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion