tuscl

Venmo? Cash App? Something else?

Not for paying strippers. Cash is king there.

No, this is for minor transactions with non businesses that don’t want to take credit cards.

9 comments

• prevert
    5 years ago
    Don’t want my bank info getting to the other party, but don’t want to carry cash everywhere.
  • ime
    5 years ago
    bitcoin
  • RandomMember
    5 years ago
    I've been using CashApp for several years and your bank info is never shared. In fact you can hide your name, too.

Downside is that it's almost impossible to reverse charges if you're defrauded.
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    All my friends have Venmo, so that's the default among us. It's also what ends up my default for SBs and my ATFs for OTC, unless she specifically requests CashApp instead. In all of these cases, though, I don't care much about anonymity; the fact that Venmo is so ubiquitous makes it the best choice. If I cared about anonymity, I'd go with CashApp
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    Does Venmo make you use your real name or phone number and make them visible to the other party?
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    I’ve been using CashApp for a couple of years and love it. Mostly I use it to send $$ to my CF. She’ll call me asking for $10 for a transit card, $60 for a refresher course, etc. after we’ve paid enough there’s an OTC. No money changes hands, she’s not a ho, and I get a fairly accurate idea of where the money goes.
    CashApp has no fees. My ATF got stuck in the evening 100 miles from home. Her BF “lost” $100 and she needed gas, food, & cigarettes. I had to use Western Union and paid $12.50 to send $90. Crazy fees.
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    Looking at some of the reviews on the Venmo app page in the store, they want access to your Facebook contacts. And will show your money history to them?

Is that accurate?

Looking like Cash App is the way to go at the moment.
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    prevert: That's all stuff you can control. My venmo user name is just some initials, you can make all your transactions private, and you're insane if you give any app access to Facebook, or vice versa. That said, I still only use venmo for trusted contacts -- friends, family, SBs and ATFs. I do think CashApp is the right way to go for sending $ to someone who doesn't have quite as much trust, you can create a handle that, if I recall correctly, is pretty unconnected to anything else.

Transactions CAN be reversed on these things, regardless of what anyone tells you, even if it's relatively difficult to do. So don't use it as a way to accept money from anyone you don't trust. But as far as sending money? Sure
  • nickg6
    5 years ago
    new web site they are very under the radar if you need that for sending and also bitcoin is https://getloci.com the good news is there is no fee for anything for some reason not sure how that works but it works going on over a year now
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion