tuscl

A Heads-Up About $$$

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
Verizon has been my cellphone carrier for a few years now. I was satisfied with their service but thought their prices were a bit on the high side.

A couple of years ago someone tried to open an account with Sprint using my credentials. As soon as LifeLock notified me about this I contacted Sprint about this attempted fraud. The attempt was shut down and I was not out any money.

I recently decided to change my cellphone service to Sprint to take advantage of their lower rates. At first, Sprint refused to open an account for me. It was a major hassle trying to persuade them that two years ago an imposter Reverend Hornibastard had fraudulently attempted to open a Sprint account but that now, the real Reverend Hornibastard wanted to open an account.

It was work, but I finally persuaded them I was legit and got my new Sprint account yesterday.

Today I found out that Altice (parent company of Suddenlink) is offering cellphone service with unlimited calls and data for $20 per month per line.

That price is guaranteed for life!

Their coverage is coast to coast but, at least for now, they are only making this offer to people living in certain markets.

This is really going to roil the cellphone service markets.

If you live in an area where Suddenlink or Optimum offers services, you might want to check into this. The savings could be very substantial.

The ironic quirk here is that Altice doesn’t even have their own system of cellphone towers. So you cellphone calls will be carried on AT&T or Verizon systems (whichever is stronger in the area from where you place your call).

AT&T have the largest networks in the USA.

Today I will cancel the Sprint account I worked so hard to get and move to Altice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yah…

10 comments

• nicespice
    5 years ago
    I would have been wary of having sprint while in Houston anyways. Not too long ago, I drove through the city, from Katy, through downtown, and i45.

And one of my trip companions, who had Sprint, wasn’t very pleased through most of that trek because she couldn’t get service.
  • Evasparkling
    5 years ago
    @nicespice

I used to have a Sprint Account but the only major problem I had was I couldn’t be on a call & browse the internet at the same time.

With AT&T I can answer a call while simultaneously browsing through my emails.
  • Hank Moody
    5 years ago
    “That price is guaranteed for life!”

That means the company’s life, not your life, ReverandCheapBastard.

😂
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Yeah, Verizon is a little more, but the coverage is unmatched. But I like hearing about competition coming in. That will force Verizon to stay in check or even come down. Each time my contract comes up for renewal, I go to Verizon and get them to give me a better deal.
  • crazyjoe
    5 years ago
    Good to know. In my area sprint and Verizon are about the same coverage and quality so I have sprint. The but being able to surf and talk at the same time does suck. I used to be able to surf and talk but not now. They claim it was a hardware problem but it is a sprint problem.

In my area At&T is the worst for areas having coverage. Every airline pilot I know has At&T because worldwide it has the best coverage.

I will check this service out. Thanks rev
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    There's a number of options. Around here, Sprint coverage is actually pretty good. Data speeds are slow compared to Verizon & T-Mo, and no Talk & Surf or Talk & MMS gets old though. In the end, that's what made me switch. My work phone was through Sprint, now ATT. My personal phone is through Verizon. My buddy has ATT for work & T-Mo for personal. We'd often compare coverage when one of us had a phone with no signal, we pretty much all always did. The number of places where coverage differed was very small.

A couple other options are Google FI, $20 + 10/GB with a cap of $80 no matter how much you use. Good for people who don't use a lot of data normally. Uses a combo of Sprint, T-Mo, Consumer Cellular networks. Xfinity Mobile, Free talk/text (well, ~6 in taxes/fees) and $12/GB or $45 + taxes unlimited. Both also rely heavily on Wi-Fi to reduce data usage.

I switched my parents lines from my Verizon plan where they were adding about $160 to my bill to xFinity where my bill ranges from ~50 to ~60, including payment plans for both of their phones. Coverage is exactly the same for them as far as I can tell. I'll probably end up switching mine and saving another $40-50 a month, which I'm sure I'll promptly turn around and spend on strippers.

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I think Google cell service requires a Google phone and maybe one other specific brand, at least that is what I recall when I looked into it a while back
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    I don't have a need for heavy data-usage - I use Consumer Cellular with 2GB of data for $36/mo - with Consumer Cellular one has a choice of using the AT&T or TMobile networks
  • Muddy
    5 years ago
    I got sprint I can’t complain. Really low price and unlimited data. I was constantly running out of data with AT&T.
  • blahblahblah23
    5 years ago
    Verizon has been good to me *shrug* I'm also a fan of ATT. Sprint is ok. I think T-Mobile is horrible, but it's been years, and I hear it is supposedly better now.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion