tuscl

Keeping Women You No Longer Want

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
This is a common mistake. I’ve made it repeatedly.

For most men it’s almost a reflex. “Nobody messes with my woman (or women)!”

The average guy’s attitude is, “she remains mine until I say otherwise!”

It really doesn’t matter whether you love her or even want her anymore.

It’s as natural a male response as it is unreasonable and selfish.

I can’t remember how many times I worked hard to hang on to previous wives or girlfriends, persuading them to stick with me rather than striking out on their own or becoming involved with other men, probably better men than me, who would likely love them and care for them better than I ever did.

Often, after winning their continued loyalty I would kick myself for being so stupid. Why in the world had I just squelched a golden opportunity to be rid of a woman I had grown sick and tired of having around me all the time?

Why had I defused her opportunity to find happiness with someone else?

No good reason other than male pride, territoriality, possessiveness and remorseless selfishness.

It’s a terrible trait that I will probably retain until I die.

P.S. I’m not looking to unload any current women. I was just thinking about prior mistakes.

6 comments

• chessmaster
    5 years ago
    If you have to work hard to keep her around she already has one foot out the door. She's just waiting for that better man she can monkey branch to. As soon she has a chance with him she's gone. If she found him and she's still around she's probably cheating with him and expecting you to "work hard" for her.
  • Warrior15
    5 years ago
    Is it the Jerry Maguire syndrome ? Are you just a little bit afraid of being alone ???
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    “Are you just a little bit afraid of being alone???”

I haven’t had to face that prospect (yet).

I behave in the same absurdly possessive way even when losing a wife or a girlfriend would simplify my life and make it less crowded.
  • rickdugan
    5 years ago
    I really was getting ready to have some fun with the absurd characterizations of male motivations and relationship nuances evident in the initial post. But then I thought about it some more and instead it just made me a little sad tbh. Like much of what is posted on here by troll accounts, it comes across like you read about it in a book. I'm not sure what your true background is, but this seems to be a product of either limited real life relationship experience or some other unusual circumstance which makes it difficult for you to understand the feelings of others. Either way I just lost the will to serve and volley in this thread.

• reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Rickdugan,

Maybe I’m odd. Maybe most men don’t behave as I believe they do.

I know I’m not unique in this behavior. Several of my friends confessed to the same selfish behavior.

But then, maybe I just run with a bad crowd.

I must admit, I expected a bunch of you to chime in with a hearty chorus of “me too!”
  • Cristobal
    5 years ago
    I have not yet kept a women I did not want, civvie or p4p.

Life is too short to have people in your life that you do not want in it or who do not want to be in it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion