tuscl

Metal detectors

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Friday, July 12, 2019 6:07 AM
A few years ago there was a shooting incident at Follies and right after that they installed a metal detector. I wonder if the damn thing is even working because they continue to pat down customers after passing through the detector. At first there was some groping being done for tips but that has stopped. So is the thing actually working or is the fact that it is there a deterrent to customers bringing in weapons?

34 comments

• ATACdawg
    5 years ago
    In this age of high performance composites, weapons don't have to be made of metal. Ceramic knives, composite knuckles and even single-use guns have all been successfully made of composite materials.
  • doctorevil
    5 years ago
    I’m pretty sure it’s either not working or not turned on. I’ve never seen it alarm and I always walk through it with my cell phone and keys. It’s just there for looks probably.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    My S&W Bodyguard, which is a .380 auto is mostly composite material, with the exception of the barrel, and of course the bullets contained within, I have bypassed being wanded never tried to walk through a metal detector.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    My bulging biceps have been known to set off a few metal detectors but never at Follies thus I conclude it's likely not operational
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ but those gold teeth don’t set it off do they 😷
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    IDK of any SoFlo clubs I hit that have them although all the black clubs have a patdown by a bouncer. On my recent Houston trip seems most clubs I hit had a metal detector.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^^ LOL
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    I don't know about the Follies detector, but I will second the idea that a metal detector doesn't prevent all weapons and someplace that's worried about that sort of thing is wise to have a pat-down too. As far as south FL clubs with them, I'm not sure I know of any clubs with detectors but Monroes & Rhino in West Palm both have wands. I think I've been wanded at Solid Gold in Pompano too, but I could be confusing them with another joint.
  • IHearVoices
    5 years ago
    I can't think of any clubs in South Florida that have one. Only club I can think of with one is Savannah's in Harrisburg. I want to say all the black clubs I've visited have a wand/frisk procedure, but the others haven't (I'm not counting Follies for obvious reasons).
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Its a deterrent than offers a false sense of security.... Pat downs don't always work either. If someone really wants to shoot up a club they'll do it. It wouldn't be hard to shoot the door people and then shoot inside. What would really help is people weren't fucking retards and had some coping skills and accountability rather than lashing out at the world.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    In Pompano, Pink has a metal detector plus a pat down it’s been there for the last three or four months
  • codemonkey
    5 years ago
    It's not just about the metal detectors but also the people monitoring them. I regularly carry a firearm and went to a place where I'm really not supposed to carry. As my family and I got to the entrance, I noticed they were sending everyone through metal detectors. I had intended to leave my gun in the vehicle but just forgot and now I was a long ways from the vehicle and didn't feel like going back so I decided to take a chance. I emptied my pockets and walked through the metal detector to a conspicuous BEEEEP. The security guard looked at me and I raised the front of my shirt to show him my belt buckle and he waived me through.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ wow
  • JohnSmith69
    5 years ago
    It pretty clearly doesn’t work or is never turned on. I walk thru every time I visit with lots of metal in my pockets.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    I carry my pistols everywhere except strip clubs (don’t want the girl to make the wrong piece shoot it’s wad). I get through every single pat down. When I know there is a metal detector, I carry either my wallet sized 380 or my palm sized 22. I simply place it into my wallet and send it around the detector with my keys, phone and tons of coins. It is all a false sense of security. I have even been taken to jail after the cop patted me down and missed the weapon. I told them about it when at the desk. Told them they need better training on detection. I assume there are always weapons in any room full of people and thus keep alert.
  • bubba267
    5 years ago
    Because I only go during the day I'm not sure, but perhaps they turn it on later in the evening. Agree with Code Monkey. A person trained to read the detector can let people pass through with keys and other types of metal. A good monitor will tell where the concentration of metal is located and how much metal there is. Also agree with the comments about the composite makeup of weapons now. My p365 is mostly composite
  • codemonkey
    5 years ago
    @Nidan I'd hope the girls wouldn't confuse little Nidan with those tiny pistols you carry! In the situation I described above I was carrying a S&W M&P 40c in an IWB holster so it would have been pretty obvious if they had given me even a cursory pat down.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    I still like Chris Rock's quote: "Never go to clubs with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe inside. But what about all those niggas waiting outside with guns? They know you ain't got one." -Chris Rock
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    twentyfive Lockn down the stripper you wanted/ and being a whiney little bitch Yesterday My S&W Bodyguard, which is a .380 auto is mostly composite material, with the exception of the barrel, and of course the bullets contained within, I have bypassed being wanded never tried to walk through a metal detector. ------------------------- 20Fag just admitted to smuggling weapons into venues past metal detectors.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @faggy twat I never denied it but let’s meet up in a club me with my permitted concealed handgun, and you with your coke and crystal meth let’s see who they’ll allow in I’m betting it’s not you
  • ime
    5 years ago
    Icey is the biggest ass blasted loser this place has ever seen, stop being such a fucking bitch, good god does you man beat the shit out of you every night or something?
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    20fag now you're threatening to illegally take a gun into a club and shoot me.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    faggy twat Wow that’s a bit of a stretch even for you, just for the record I don’t think you’re worth the cost of a bullet.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    so you're saying you'd kill me but choose not to based on the cost of a bullet....
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ime wrote, "Icey is the biggest ass blasted loser this place has ever seen..." Wait just a minute there ime, I thought that I was your number one enemy. SJG
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    faggy twat you wouldn’t be worth it to me, but I’m sure there are many out there that would enjoy hearing the news of your passing
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    As usual faggy and lloyd are threadjacking a serious thread, with their normal bullshit Bring back the block founder, this isn’t different opinions this is two fools with an agenda.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Diaper rash can even cause scaring. Mamisan is back from the Donkey Ranch, so she will be out there to change you real soon 25. And: [view link] SJG
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    20fag, you were bragging about how you sneak weapons past metal detectors. Not sure why you need a gun in a strip club....Now you're saying people would be happy about my death and that you'd kill me if doing so would be cheaper. By the way, you're free to block people... but you don't coz you're a lil drama bitch
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Fuckn funny shit coming from a plagiarist lying little bitch like you faggy, make no mistake about it you just project your insecurities all over, this here was a legitimate thread with mostly serious responses now you and your butt boy have hijacked what was a legitimate thread just to satisfy your own petty agenda Founder bring back the block
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^^^^ 25, when you walk outside in the evening, do you see your own shadow and get into arguments with it? SJG
  • goldmongerATL
    5 years ago
    As for OP on Follies, about a year ago I was behind a guy with an aluminum cane. He walked in with the cane in hand and it did not go off. This was the beginning of day shift. So apparently the sensitivity is set somewhere below detecting the equivalent of a shotgun barrel :-)
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    @codemonkey. Lol. I carry little pistols IF there are metal detectors that I need to bypass. I generally (90 percent of time) carry my Glock 30, 45 ACP and my SP101 357 magnum. Both of which get missed on pat downs at major venues.
  • sshrfrsky
    5 years ago
    I think the metal detectors are mainly to appease the local political body after an incident. In MA at Squires in Revere there was a shooting fatality about 18 years ago. Was not random and may have been low level mafia related. Metal detectors installed and still in use the last time I was there, within the past year. Mainly for show it seems.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion