tuscl

Clubs banning customers: Why and how?

Electronman
Too much of a good thing is never enough
Tuesday, July 9, 2019 4:33 AM
Every now and then, I hear of a customer being "banned" from a specific club. What actions get a customer banned? Fighting? Selling drugs? Fondling the dancers (when rules to the contrary are clearly posted)? Is banning legal, if it is not based on a protected status (e.g., based on race). How is a ban enforced? Does the club post the name of all banned customers or photos of banned customers--- it seems like an enforcement nightmare unless the manager who would recognized a banned customer works every shift.

15 comments

• reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Banning a customer can be perfectly legal depending on the motivation. If the motivation for the ban did not involve discrimination against a legally protected class, it would be perfectly legal. I suspect that some clubs keep a list of customers and strippers they have banned. These lists could be part of their defense if law enforcement seeks to fine a club or force it to close for violations of public decency laws. The club could argue that, although they may have failed to prevent all illegal activity, they do their best - and then produce lists of banned customers and strippers as evidence.
  • Mate27
    5 years ago
    It’s spelt “band”. You’re using it rong.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Someone in this board got band for clogging shitterd
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    Funny how someone destroyed a airplane shitter yesterday!
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    Yes, it's legal. And if you try hard enough, I'm sure you'll find at least one way to get banned.
  • shadowcat
    5 years ago
    I know that the house mom at Follies keeps a list of dancers that have been banned for stealing, fighting, drug selling, pissing off the manager, etc.
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    Well there is this example [view link] He of course doesn’t give specifics. My guess is being too much of an asshole consistently and that was one time too many. But who knows. And yep, at a few clubs I’ve seen photos or a drivers license photo up with a description of “do not allow in” behind the counter. Probably even more are more 21st century about it and have it on a computer system somewhere. At one club they were blatant enough to demand to the customer to hand over his drivers license. He did and they scanned it and handed it back. Then they told him to GTFO
  • Subraman
    5 years ago
    If they license scan, that'd be the easy way. In my city deja vu owns all the clubs but one (or two, depending on whether the second is still opeon). I wonder if you're banned from one DV club, if you're basically banned at all clubs but the two not owned by DV.
  • Harderlap
    5 years ago
    If they scan licenses or IDs it is easy to flag assholes in the database and have them pop up as don’t allow in when they show up. I have been told that sister clubs can share this database, so if you are banned from one club, you can be banned from others that have the same owners. As to reasons for being banned, most likely are blatantly illegal activities such as selling drugs, disorderly behavior, stripper’s significant others that can’t handle her job, and disputing credit card charges.
  • Lone_Wolf
    5 years ago
    Could be just a bartender, waitress or dancer on a power trip of some kind. Had a female bartender unsuccessfully to try to have her bouncer boyfriend kick me out for some playful banter I was having with a favorite. It was total BS.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    SCs like any business, can choose to refuse service for a violation of their rules and regulations. If a person feels they were banned/discriminated against because they belong to a protected class, they'd have to prove that this was the reason. Clubs can get pics off security cameras and tend to keep footage involving said incidents. Plus, unless you're in a touristy area with a high customer turnover rate, chances are they kinda remember patrons.... Using scanned drivers' licenses for the purpose of not allowing someone entry is technically illegal though. A private business can scan your license if you allow them to, but said info can legally only be used to determine if you can buy age restricted items/services... using it for any other purpose is against the law.
  • Electronman
    5 years ago
    Icey---- your pics and video comment got me to wondering about the legality of retaining photos and video, without the customer's consent. Many states allow the use of security cameras, but only in areas where there is no expectation of privacy. This is to prevent video taping in a restroom, where there is some expectation of privacy. When a customer buys a "private" dance, should there be any expectation of privacy? Ironically, there are a number of stories in the news about facial recognition software, a topic that might be relevant to using photos and video in a club.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    5 years ago
    All of these 'legality' questions hinge on the customer's willingness to go into courtroom to talk about his strip club habits. That's not going to happen a lot... I suspect that a lot of clubs rely on that reluctance to do things that aren't necessarily legal, and not really give a shit.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    Most businesses are like that, they take advantage of people's naivete and lack of understanding of the law...most don't question these types of things. Cops are part of the problem too...if someone complains, cops get called a trespassing warning issues, which scares people. Even though the cop knows the person is in the right. With strip clubs, it really is about them knowing people don't want to be labeled as customers, etc. Strip clubs could easily get in trouble if someone actually did something.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    "Is banning legal, if it is not based on a protected status (e.g., based on race)." Yes banning is legal, and police will back them up. If you want to say it is a prohibited type of discrimination, then it would be up to you to prove that in court. But they would have counter arguments. Usually most of the dancers will not want a banishment, as that means lost revenue. If it is a tiff with one dancer, you might try to find a communications channel with the others. Might try to get to the owner too. SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion