tuscl

A Review Proposal: Minimum Length

AnonymousJim
Scanning the room from the back
Saturday, July 6, 2019 9:17 AM
It's understandable that Founder might not want to be as hands-on with the reviews forever, and crowdsourcing their approval is, theoretically, a solution for that. But it's been noticeable that the quality of some of the "approved" reviews lately has gone down. The approvers don't seem to be doing as good of a job as many of us would hope. Some of the reviews I've seen lately both appear to be written by guys who aren't interested in actually giving any details and might qualify under Twitter's character limit for a single tweet. Short reviews with little content aren't what most are looking for when it comes to this site. People want details: Is the club upscale, rundown or somewhere in-between and why? Is it a big place or a small place? Are the women generally well put-together and classy or skankish, smelly and just there to get the job done? Is the staff friendly or do the bouncers look like guys you want to stay at least five feet away from at all times for your own safety? What are the club-stated prices for above-board services? How good is the service for what you're paying? Do they have specials? Do you sense extras or OTC might be available? (This is where you probably want to start leaving details like negotiated prices and specific services out, but can at least elude to possibilities for the more adventurous of us mongers.) And so on. There are some steps that could make the process better: Only allowing VIP or verified members to approve/deny reviews is one. Maybe a "what makes a good review (and what doesn't)" tutorial page. I'll let other powers-that-be think about what could be entailed by such decisions, good and bad. But I think there's one thing that could help that I see zero bad in: A minimum character count for each review. Short reviews just don't work. I've never read a really short review I've considered really good. When the advice section in the text box says "give details" and "be wordy," it's for a reason. I think that's important. Reviews aren't meant to be Tweet-like and something you put together quickly on your phone. They're meant to be *written*, as in given some thought, probably typed out on a real keyboard, and cohesive. I think all club reviews should be at least 2,000 characters, spaces included. That's equivalent of a little over a half a page in Word. I even thought 3,000 characters, or about a full page, might be a good recommendation, but I'm willing to budge on the number for scenarios where something keeps you from getting service altogether. I do think there should be a minimum, though. It was said in the last thread that "some folks just aren't good writers." That's fine, but then they shouldn't be *writing* reviews. There's always the option to pay for a subscription to view reviews if contributing good content isn't your thing. I feel like such a limit would be easy to implement in terms of coding (it doesn't let you submit the review unless it gets to the mark) and would allow us to much more quickly suss out reviews that are just poorly worded attempts at getting VIP for a month. Sure, some might just add a lot of spaces or periods to get to the limit, or duplicate sentences, or whatever. But you know what? Then those reviews are that much more obvious to get the thumbs down. Quality matters, guys. Not everything in life should come easy, and quality usually doesn't. I think a number of us want to make sure the quality of what we see on the site stays high so the site itself stays helpful. Quality means thought, work and detail. I think a minimum length would help ensure we keep the quality high. My two cents.

11 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    This has been discussed quite a bit over the last few months - the current voting process is not perfect but no voting process is - just like when one first write reviews one may not write them very-well, perhaps same can be said w.r.t. approving reviews and that as TUSCLers get more experience just like they tend to write better reviews they will also likely get better w.r.t. approving reviews. There are always gonna be those that see things differently but so is any voting process.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of simple minimum length people just fill it up with bullshit nonsense. Either copy/past the same sentence over and over, or go on and on about something silly. I'm okay with the current process and think there are other ways to improve it. Seeing who the 5 voters are I think is an improvement. I think it would be good to be able to see which reviews a particular member has approved/rejected, similar to how you can see their reviews and stuff. Would bring more accountability.
  • Member6532
    5 years ago
    More required questions. There are a few right now, time of day, money spent, and so on. Alcohol yes/no Fee to get in Floor dance/lap dance area/private VIP Cost of lap dance Type of dance air/1 way/2way/full contact Smoking yes/no Free parking yes/no Then always so useful info given plus the story
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    I'm all for a minimum length. KCMember, the problem with those questions being required is that some may not answer them or answers may vary.... They're too prejudicial....
  • doctorevil
    5 years ago
    Icey is for a minimum length? I guess that means he thinks reviewers should cut and paste “the girls are craic” ten times instead of four.
  • Member6532
    5 years ago
    If they are required, they have to be answered as a requirement. As for varying answers we already that problem but atleast there would be a guide for people to know what to expect what to write in s review. Personally extras/otc dont need to really be in a review cause mileage varies and turn over is high in the industry. Cause some girl fucks you, she might not fuck me, sometimes it's a trust thing, sometime drugs, sometime money, sometimes she is just a whore. Not all girls in the club will be that way
  • minnow
    5 years ago
    Let's see, 2000 characters would probably equal ~12 to 15 lines. I suppose I could buy into that. Maybe a slightly lower number like 1500 - 1800 would better enable those who report on dead afternoon shifts to make some "lemonade out of a lemon", so to speak. I'm sure many tusclers wouldn't mind knowing what to expect on a dead shift, and when they occur. I glanced over the daily reviews. I noticed several that were approved by a 3 - 2 vote were 5 to 7 liners. I get it that founders hands off approach entails allowing VIP members (I think VIP is a good standard for publishers, there are plenty of good folk who just did not feel like getting "verified".) approving or rejecting reviews. Like any new thing, it occasionally needs refinement. Having a minimum character count is one way to weed out the flaky/subpar reviews. Another would be having some sort of "evaluate the graders" system. Sure we can see who approved the marginal reviews, but unless there are consequences for being negligent in approving reviews, the BS will just continue. I propose that being a party to a 3-2 decision would trigger publisher being put on a watch list. Any publisher on the top half of the list for 3 consecutive days would have their VIP publishing privileges suspended for 4 weeks. Some people might want to require more votes to approve review (like 4 out of 6), but sans a minimum character count and a system of holding publishers accountable just won't solve the issue of too many egregious reviews slipping through the cracks.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    RE: "Maybe a "what makes a good review (and what doesn't)" tutorial page." There is that on TUSCL, but it's sort of hidden away. [view link]
  • rh48hr
    5 years ago
    There is no perfect system. No matter what ideas or system you come up with there will always be someone who does not like he system you are using and there will be flaws. The more restrictions you try to impose, the fewer reviews you're going to get. Not all short reviews are bad. Not all long reviews are good. I try to evaluate every review on its own merits.
  • wld4tatas
    5 years ago
    Agree with rh48hr. 2000 characters won't necessarily make the review better. If it's the umpteenth description of where the club is and what the layout is, it's useless to me. 500 words is enough, though I could settle for 1000. Most of the time I'm reading reviews of places I've already been to. A couple of useful nuggets of intel can be conveyed in just a few sentences.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    What’s the big deal, mostly this is just a continuation of old fights and grievances. Most of the regular contributors that are verified do a reasonable job most of the time, I don’t think any specific suggestions or admonishments will change the opinions of most, having met many of the most prolific reviewers I believe that most of them are fair, I try to be fair myself, so my style is generally to pay attention to those clubs I am familiar with, I don’t club when I travel, but occasionally read some reviews from other areas, if they seem credible I will approve if not I will down vote, if I’m on the fence I defer to others.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion