tuscl

OT: Former NFL player on reparations: 'How about the Democratic Party pay'

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Go to http://sports.yahoo.com/ See in App
HomeFantasyNFLNBAMLBNHLSoccerWorld CupGolfCricketVideosPodcastsNCAAFNCAABMMABoxingNASCARTennisWNBANCAAWIndycarMotorsportsHorse RacingCyclingOddsRivalsShopHelpJobsRSS
NFL HomeFantasy FootballScores/ScheduleStandingsStatsTeamsPlayersYahoo Sports ExpertsDraftVideoTicketsShop Team Gear
Former NFL player on reparations: 'How about the Democratic Party pay'
Jay Busbee
Jay Busbee
Yahoo SportsJune 19, 2019, 4:56 PM EDT
Burgess Owens speaks before Congress. (via screenshot)
Burgess Owens speaks before Congress. (via screenshot)
More
A former NFL player testifying before Congress on Wednesday spoke out against the concept of reparations.

Burgess Owens, formerly of the Jets and Raiders, spoke during hearings for H.R. 40, a bill designed to study how to implement reparations for black Americans. The question of what, if anything, America owes to the descendants of slaves is at the heart of H.R. 40, and it’s a question for which Owens, along with a long list of other notable figures, offered an answer.

SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENTAd
Introducing the Citi Rewards+℠ Card
Speaking for five minutes, Owens noted his own lineage traces directly back to slaves. But, he added, “this is not about black and white, rich or poor, blue collar white collar. We’re fighting for the hearts of our nation.” Owens emphasized that his ancestors battled their way out of their circumstances following emancipation by hard work.

“I do not believe in reparation, because what reparation does, it points to a certain race, a certain color, as evil, and it points to another race, my race, as one that has not only become racist, but also beggars.”

During a portion of his allotted five minutes, Owens took the discussion in specific political directions. “I used to be a Democrat until I did my history and found the misery that party brought to my race ... Let's pay restitution. How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race?”

Owens continued, “And every white American, Republican or Democrat, who feels guilty because of the color of their skin, you can pony up also. Then we can get past reparations and recognize this country has given us greatness.”

Here is Owens’ full testimony:

Embedded video

Caleb Hull

@CalebJHull
Wow, Burgess Owens just stunned everyone:

“I used to be a Democrat until I did my history and found out the misery that that party brought to my race... Let's pay restitution. How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race..."

12:21 PM - Jun 19, 2019
28K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Other witnesses took different tacks. Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), speaking before the House, charged that the United States has "yet to truly acknowledge and grapple with the racism and white supremacy that tainted this country's founding and continues to cause persistent and deep racial disparities and inequality. These disparities don't just harm black communities, they harm all communities.”

The hearing was held on Juneteenth, which commemorates the specific day slaves in Texas were told they were free after the Civil War, and more broadly, the overall emancipation of slaves across the South.

Owens played safety and kick returner for the Jets and Raiders through the ‘70s and early ‘80s. He holds the distinction of scoring the only kickoff-return touchdown for the Jets during the entire decade of the ‘70s.

Like many NFL players, he’s turned to activism, and regularly speaks and writes about his faith and issues affecting the black community. The title of his 2016 book — “Liberalism, or How to Turn Good Men into Whiners, Weenies and Wimps” — is a succinct distillation of his principles.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-nfl-play…

5 comments

• skibum609
    5 years ago
    mainstream "news" has ignored this because proghressives are as honest as any other cheater, liar and fraud.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    There are so MANY problems with this stupid idea, I don't even wish to point any out. If one understands the issue, they already know. Those that like the idea are likely to stupid to understand.
  • prevert
    5 years ago
    He’ll probably be labeled as a traitor to his race simply because he himself doesn’t need reparations.
  • Clubber
    5 years ago
    prevert,

"...need reparations."? What is that suppose to mean? Makes little, if any, sense.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Slavery is just one of many injustices on which the United States is built. Whether we need to have reparations or not, we do need a major change of economic system. Right now our entire political process works by creating scapegoats in a huge underclass. And the situation is only going to get worse, until open violence ensues.

SJG

Really good movie:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siYOHprT…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion