tuscl

What are tip walks?

I know from descriptions that a dancer walks around wanting tips but I'm not at all familiar with clubs like this. What is the experience? Do the dancers not take tips at all while dancing on stage? Do the dancers walk a predefined path afterwards and their is some kind of rail separating the crowd from the dancer and she expects everyone at the rail to tip her? I'm just curious.

My entire strip club experience has been if the dancer gets a tip for stage dancing, either a guy or girl goes up to the stage to tip her or the people sitting at the stage tip her.
I'm not at all familiar with tip walks and tip rails.

15 comments

• Yoda
    18 years ago
    CG: In some cities dancers are not allowed to accept tips while naked on stage. I've seen this in both San Diego and parts of Philly for example. Dancers do their stage set, get dressed and then circulate through the club soliciting tips....and private dances.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Tip walks aren't made along a predefined path. They are no more systematic a nuisance than 'wannadance' walks are.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad I visit clubs where the customers tip at the stage. I enjoy watching a dancer work for her tip even though that may only last a matter of seconds. I get to decide when to tip a dancer and get her attention at the same time.

Do these places with tip walks not have any stage side seats?
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    Clubs where I've encountered tip walks had seating at the stage and sometimes a lot of tipping going on there. There's nothing special about the clubs. It's just a practice that for some reason is allowed at some places. Not all the strippers made a tip walk, usually only the ones who couldn't get anybody to tip them by taking off their clothes for everyone to see.
  • DandyDan
    18 years ago
    I've seen it in a few places. Whenever I've seen it happen, they always seem to go after ones who didn't tip on stage, which is just weird. It would almost be like Big Brother is watching, only it's Big Momma on stage. I've been in places where you can get dollar dances, or even regular lap dances, out in the open, you could be preoccupied with a girl, and the girl doing the tipwalk will ask for a tip. That's just rude. They will interrupt pool games just to ask for tips. My theory is if I miss a dancer on stage, it's for one of two reasons:

A: she wasn't worth it
    B: I was busy with someone else, or something else (like going to the bar for a drink, for instance)
    If A happens, nothing will change that and if B happens, I sometimes go out of the way to tip them. But if that happens, they don't have to walk around to beg for tips. Overall, the whole procedure is just silly.
  • motorhead
    18 years ago
    I would have to agree that I don't really enjoy it. It is somewhat common at one of the clubs I frequent, especially among the day shift girls. There is just something very unattractive about girls begging for money. And what I really find silly is if I have already tipped a girl on stage and she comes back and asks again. Either she has a really bad memory or she is especially greedy.

There are some clubs where the girls are not very aggressive about asking the customer for dances. So they use the tip walk as an opportunity to allow the customer to ask for a dance. About half the girls won't ask for dances -- they EXPECT the customer to ask.
  • DougS
    18 years ago
    I loathe the tip walk. In one of the two clubs that I frewquent the most, no matter how much a dancer gets in tips during her stage show, she will still hit almost every guy in the club asking for a tip. It's especially annoying if they ask someone that has just tipped them on stage. If I didn't tip her while on stage, I sure as hell don't want to tip her when she comes asking for one.

The "are you tipping?" phrase is MORE annoying than the "wanna dance?" phrase. BOTH need to be done away with.
  • Book Guy
    18 years ago
    "I'll see you on stage."

And if she doesn't like that answer, I don't like her, ergo, I wouldn't be tipping her anyway ...
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    In many clubs the logistics make it either difficult or impossible to tip the girl on stage. For example the stage may be surrounded by the bar. Or the stage may be small and sorrounded by people sitting, so anyone not at the stage has little opportunity to tip. In such cases the tip walk makes sense, and those are the only times I've ever seen one.

I happen to like the practice because it give you an opportunity to meet each girl and speak with her for a moment, which makes it especially easy to ask one to join you if you like. My favorite tip "walk" isn't a walk at all - the club is mostly a large rectangular bar with the stage in the middle, and the girls crawl around the bar naked to collect tips when they're done dancing. Very enjoyable.
  • FONDL
    18 years ago
    It also seems to me that the tip walk is more common in clubs that don't have private dances (like in DC and northern VA), where the tips for stage dancing may represent the main source of income for the girls. In such clubs every customer is expected to tip every dancer but not every customer knows that.
  • chandler
    18 years ago
    The way I'd like to answer "Are you tipping?" is to say, "Sometimes, just not you."

When the girl was cute, I've actually replied, "Only the hottest girls." Then, before she's had a chance to get upset, I smile and and slip her a buck.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I've encountered maybe 7 or 8 dancers over the years who asked me for a dance, then they asked for a tip after I said no. I remember one who was quite obnoxious afterwards when I tried to hand her and her friend a dollar each. She was rude. Apparently she didn't even understand how rude she was because she kept popping back by asking me for a dance at least two more times.

Since any dancer asking for a tip when you're not even close to the stage is rare where I live at, asking guys in the crowd who weren't even watching the stage show seems rude to me. I'm glad tip walks are unknown where I live at. I got a hunch many guys would just say no where I live at. I think I would if it became common and I'd probably stop tipping at all. Then if the club was no more fun, I wouldn't even visit. If you can't reach a stage to tip dancers, it seems like a poorly designed club in my opinion. I'd rather have small satellite stages and let everyone tip a dancer that wants to instead of having dancers walking around like beggars pissing a number of guys off asking for money like a beggar. I guess if you grew up used to that, it'd probably seem like no big deal.
  • AbbieNormal
    18 years ago
    Tip walks are more common in clubs with no private dances (DC). In some clubs the common practice is not to tip onstage but to tip afterwards. It tends to be not just a regional thing, but also a very club dependant thing.
  • casualguy
    18 years ago
    I guess if tip walks were normal, maybe they could be done in a manner I could get used to. I very much prefer clubs where the dancers make their money by getting dances though.
  • I thought I read somewhere, maybe here, that in some cities you're not allowed to get tips onstage?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion