tuscl

How My Peepee Led Me To Atheism

reverendhornibastard
Depraved Deacon of Degeneracy
Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:22 AM
I was a nerdy, bookish child. That probably explains why I grew up to be such a nerdy, bookish adult. When I was about 9 or 10 years old I learned that Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to the earth other than the sun, was 4.2 light years away. The problem was, I couldn’t relate to a light year. How far was that? I asked my grandmother, the only adult in the room at the time, about light years. I’ll never forget her response. Without even taking the cigarette out of her mouth, my saintly grandmother squinted at me and replied with a question of her own, “What the fuck is a light year?” Our family had recently gone to Disneyland on vacation. My dad drove us all the way from Texas to Disneyland and back in a Ford Falcon station wagon. We didn’t have AC in that car so we sweated profusely all the way to California and back. The trip was a little over 1,000 miles each way. This gave me a pretty good gut sense of how far 1,000 miles was. Then one evening I resolved to figure out how many miles away Proxima Centauri was. I hadn’t learned about exponential notation yet and pocket calculators hadn’t been invented, so I had to do all the calculations by hand in long form. I had read that light travels about 186,000 miles per second so I calculated how many seconds there are in 4.2 years and multiplied that number by 186,000. After filling up half of my Big Chief tablet with mathematical scribbling and littering the kitchen table and floor with eraser crumbs, I determined that Proxima Centauri was about 24,690,000,000,000 (24.69 trillion) miles away. Soon afterward I was lying on the lawn after sunset looking at the stars. I pondered the incredible distances to the stars I was able to see, all of which were relatively near by. I knew there were billions of additional unseen stars in our galaxy and billions of galaxies beyond our own. For a young boy brought up in a devoutly religious home, gazing at the stars was a deeply religious experience. What did the incomprehensible enormity of space imply about the power and majesty of the Creator? Then I remembered - I had been taught that Almighty God was deeply concerned that I might be playing with my peepee. I burst out laughing. The ridiculous incongruity between the majesty of creation and the phenomenal pettiness of the Creator’s alleged concern that a young, monkey-like animal was enjoying his peepee on a small planet revolving around an average star in the suburbs of one of hundreds of billions of galaxies was too absurd for even a little boy to take seriously. Many new questions soon erupted into my mind. Barely a couple of years later I refused to go to church anymore. I told my startled and deeply disappointed parents that I regarded what I was being taught in church as complete nonsense. Surprisingly, my parents respected my convictions and did not force me to accompany the rest of the family to church any more. My career as the first and only altar boy with Tourette’s syndrome at St. John’s Evangelical Church had come to an end. Since my peepee played such a pivotal role in liberating my mind, I’ve dutifully followed wherever my peepee leads me ever since, boldly going where hopefully not too many men have gone before.

20 comments

• CC99
    5 years ago
    No I disagree with a lot of TUSCL about Christianity. You guys are focusing too much on the idea that religion is prudish and hates sex but all of the most Christian countries in the world are the ones having the most sex of anybody. Christianity, when the church isn't twisting it to suit their own purposes, is a very moral and loving religion.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    In the words of that famous philosopher Chuck Berry ——————— “When I was a little biddy boy, My grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string, She told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling, I want you to play with my ding-a-ling! My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling, I want you to play with my ding-a-ling! Then momma took me to Sunday school, They tried to teach me the golden rule. Ev'rytime the choir would sing, I'd take out my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling... And then momma took me to Grammar school, But I stopped off in the vestibule. Ev'ry time that bell would ring, Catch me playin' with my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling... Once I was climbin' the garden wall, I slipped and had a terrible fall. I fell so hard I heard bells ring, But held on to my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling... I remember the girl next door, We used to play house on the kitchen floor. She'd be the queen, I'd be the king, And I let her play with my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling... Once I was swimmin' 'cross Turtle Creek, Man, them snappers all around my feet. Sure was hard swimmin' 'cross that thing, With both hands holdin' my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling... The girl downstairs, she's a big and bold, Grandma warned me, she's too old. She used to take me swingin' in a schoolyard swing, Swing down and take my ding-a-ling-a-ling! Oh, my ding-a-ling... This here song it ain't so sad, The cutest little song you ever had. Those of you who will not sing, You must be playin' with your own ding-a-ling! Oh, your ding-a-ling, oh, your ding-a-ling, We saw you playin' with your ding-a-ling! Well, my ding-a-ling, everybody sing, I want to play with my ding-a-ling! My ding-a-ling, my ding-a-ling, I want to play with my ding-a-ling!” Songwriters: Chuck Berry My Ding-A-Ling lyrics © ISALEE MUSIC COMPANY % M. WM. KRASILOVSKY, ESQ.
  • MackTruck
    5 years ago
    ^^^ lmfao
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    @CC99: “You guys are focusing too much on the idea that religion is prudish and hates sex” He wasn’t *focusing* on that at all. It was part, and only part, of his reason for putting away childish things. For me, it’s the absurdity of an all powerful, all knowing god, who creates this entire universe and all the laws that govern it. He then creates a self aware being who is capable of the rational thought necessary to understand those laws and put them to use. And in fact, the universe this god allegedly created will actually kill anyone who doesn’t pay attention to those laws. Man *must* know the rules, when to plant in order to survive. When to hunt. When to dress warm. But when it comes to god himself, man must abandon all rationality, abandon what keeps him and his family alive and prospering, and have “faith” that god even exists. Even if the Christian god *does* exist, he’s not worthy of (at least my own) worship. Any being who bitches about abortion, while at the same time having killed every viable fetus on the planet, deserves to be reviled.
  • Nidan111
    5 years ago
    @reverend. Your parents could have at least bought you a SLIDE RULE for Goodness sake. You might have CUM to a different conclusion. @25. Chuck Berry was a blast to play blackjack next to. He and his white captain hat and purple jacket with all his 80 year old groupies hanging around him while he sat at the slot machine pulling levers. He asked me why he couldn’t have the hot 20 year old chicks surround him. I told him that those 80 year olds WERE his 20 year old groupies. He just “CHUCKled” and continued loosing his hard earned millions.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    CC99: I don’t know what the official TUSCL position on Christianity is (and I don’t care). My position on Christianity is simple. Like all other religions, Christianity is an intellectual pestilence. It is founded on the ancient practice of human sacrifice and cannibalism. Think about it for a moment. Jesus is the (sacrificial) “Lamb of God” who takes away the sins of the world. When Christians take communion they are symbolically eating of Christ’s flesh and drinking his blood! Sorry, but this is a grisly ritual practice worthy of Hannibal Lecter. Q: What kind is people take their children to a place where their kids will view a statue of a man nailed to a cross, dying in agony? A: Christians. Religions demand faith. But even the most cursory analysis reveals that faith is utterly useless as an intellectual compass. After all, faith has led billions of people all around the world to adopt a bewildering array of absurd and contradictory beliefs. The only real difference between superstitions and religions is that the latter are tax exempt. I hope to raise my children to be free of the superstitions that drive people to hate one another in the name of god. You don’t need religion to be a good person. Without religion good people will still do good things and bad people will still do bad things. But if you want good people to do truly terrible things, you need religion to accomplish that!
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    @25: Chuck Berry - now there’s a god worthy of veneration!
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    I really don't care about religion. Let people believe what they want, but I'm more into freedom from religion in public life. And freedom of religion is a myth in this country. Otherwise polygamist Mormons wouldn't be persecuted for their sacraments.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Damn! I agree with Icey! This may spark an identity crisis! Well done, Junior!
  • nicespice
    5 years ago
    There is definitely more than one Christian person on TUSCL and I’ve had good conversations with them on that subject. Not that I am. I just take the stance that a God who wants to be known would be a bit more blatant about himself than just simply a Bible with unreliable humans writing and interpreting. But to each his own. Thanks for the story OP.
  • CC99
    5 years ago
    Well the fact that I consider the bible to be of "dubious accuracy" is a major reason why I'm more of a deist than really identifying as a Christian. The bible was written by men, it describes things that are scientifically impossible. Tall tales? Perhaps. Complete hogwash? Maybe. I do think there's a God, but I don't believe all the stories in the bible are real. I also think that some people take the Old Testament too seriously. The Christian girl I met said herself she considers the Old Testament to be a historical document essentially and doesn't consider anything else important, that the only part of the bible she really pays attention to is the New Testament about Jesus. The reason why I respect Christianity a lot though is because Jesus himself was obviously a very good man. I mean he was basically a Roman hippie. The stuff he was preaching was especially admirable given that he lived in an era with absolutely horrendous levels of violence and cruelty. A lot of the examples that people cite when they say they don't like Christianity was actually stuff Jesus himself was opposed to. He told people in his time that they shouldn't be judgmental of other people, he stopped the stoning of Mary Magdalene, he taught his disciples that being kind to other people was more important than being superficially "faithful." A lot of the things that people get angry at Christianity for are stuff that the church did later. A major part of that being that people in the dark ages relied on the church to get them through the times they were living in and unfortunately gave it too much power and humans often become corrupt when given power. But ultimately you can't expect every Christian person to be a good person, there's 2.3 billion Christians so there's bound to be quite a few bad ones.
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    My favorite thing about Christianity is reading and learning about the apocrypha
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    My favorite apocryphal story is the one where Jesus and the 12 disciples show up at a restaurant for the last supper and Jesus asks the hostess for a table that can seat 26. The hostess says, “But there are only 13 of you.” Jesus replies, “True, but we’re all going to sit on the same side of the table.”
  • Kajohnston
    5 years ago
    @twentyfive Priceless Chuck Berry quote :) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^ My favorite apocryphal story concerns his cloak, Jesus’s apostles prevailed on him to get a new garment because his old one was all tattered and torn, so they found a tailor to make him a magnificent garment, when the robe was delivered Jesus looks it over and proclaims the ne robe the most beautiful robe ever made, and then offers the tailor a business opportunity he says let us open a store together and we shall call it Lord & Taylor. Bada bing.
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    Sorry - the “rolling my eyes” emoticon apparently doesn’t work on TUSCL.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    It’s a true story trust me ;))
  • IceyLoco
    5 years ago
    My favorite apocrypha is the Book of Nehemiah. the cup bearer of the Persian emperor who then rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem and dedicated the city to God...
  • reverendhornibastard
    5 years ago
    I guess my favorite apocrypha has to be “The Life of Brian.”
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion