tuscl

OT: Gronk may not be as dumb as people make him out to be

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Supposedly he's been very disciplined about paying himself first - i.e. supposedly he's saved his entire career football salary and just lived off of what his endorsements paid him:

https://www.insideedition.com/financial-…

8 comments

• JAprufrock
    5 years ago
    There's a lesson in there for Bernie Kosar.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    It doesn’t hurt that he’s been a smart guy and capitalized on all of the opportunities that have come his way, but in reality most folks never get the kinds of offers that he gets, so I agree great for him, but I sincerely doubt that course of action would be available to most.
  • Dolfan
    5 years ago
    I don't think he's dumb, I kinda chuckle when people say that. He's a goofball for sure, but his success in football was clearly in part due to an understanding of the game. His physical capabilities obviously helped, but the NFL and college ranks are littered physically talented guys who don't understand the game. Not that being able to understand football demands the same sort of intelligence as some other jobs, but the guys clearly not just a big dumb lug.

His endorsement money is probably a cash stream that isn't ready to die down for a while either, or at least I don't think he's done earning money.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    @25

Point taken - but it seems a large % of retired NFL players are broke just a few years after retirement even after earning 10s of millions - ESPN did a 30-for-30 special I think called "Broke" and it was sobering and sad - in the context of NFL players what he's done is kinda unique although that's not to say there aren't other NFL players that are very good about saving their $$$.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    No, Gronk is a fucking moron.
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @Papi it’s not just NFL players it’s a large percentage of pro athletes in general it stems from the mentality that they need to take care of their buddies, and a lot of their buddies are not such good guys, it also is the entitlement attitude of many of the players having been coddled their entire athletic careers and they seem to have great difficulty distinguishing the wheat from the chaff, making them easy marks.
  • Countryman5434
    5 years ago
    If i had gronks money their would be some happy chicas lol
  • jester214
    5 years ago
    I doubt he's stupid, I believe he came from a good background and a successful family. Those things could also account for his fiscal responsibility.

His main problem is he looks stupid, he sounds stupid and he's done some stupid things.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion