tuscl

“Why are manhole covers round?”

What a dumb fucking interview question...which I have to answer as part of a class assignment on practicing for these things. I understand questions like “describe a time you...” scenarios or “why do you want to...” questions. But not this nonsense.

I much prefer strip club interviews. “Get topless and dance on stage for a song so we know you’re not fat.”

34 comments

• flagooner
    6 years ago
    So they don't fall through
  • pawnrob69
    6 years ago
    Because they cover a round hole.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    LOL
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    b/c men like round things
  • Warrior15
    6 years ago
    " Because God made assholes round. " Then point at his stomach. But do this only if you don't care about your grade.
  • georgmicrodong
    6 years ago
    So Superman can play frisbee.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    b/c the original design in the shape of a pair of boobs was rejected
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    Square covers could fall through if turned diagonally. A round cover can't fall through a round hole, protecting both workers and pedestrians.
  • Jascoi
    6 years ago
    maybe it was kind of easier ???
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    Good one jack - that was the funniest one so far
  • jackslash
    6 years ago
    All my comments are funny.
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    :)
  • Muddy
    6 years ago
    Nicespice you will not interview for any jobs until I drop a grand your ass. Period end of story.
  • Muddy
    6 years ago
    *ON YOUR ASS my phone sucks
  • JamesSD
    6 years ago
    The point is to understand your thought process.
  • Liwet
    6 years ago
    Manholes in any other common shape can fall through the hole they cover.
  • gawker
    6 years ago
    Why are they called manholes? In our newly enlightened use of language they should now be personhole covers.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    How do we know that manholes identity as a man? They are round because the damn hole is round. A better question is “why are manholes round at the opening?” Don’t overthink it. Your professors are dicks. You can make a round hole with a square cover and the cover will not fall through if it is bigger than the hole it covers. It may not be Flush, but that is another question for the dick professors.
  • twentyfive
    6 years ago
    But can you put a square cover in a round hole ?
  • Papi_Chulo
    6 years ago
    If a square manhole cover falls in a round manhole but no one is there to see it - did it really fall?
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    Ahahaha these answers...Smash all the like buttons! xD
  • JohnSmith69
    6 years ago
    In case the Jolly Green Giant wants to use them as a Flesh Light.
  • Uprightcitizen
    6 years ago
    Hahaha I love Gawkers answer. You need be all offended and tell them the question is sexist.
  • Prim0
    6 years ago
    They are round because the do cover a round tube. The tube is round because a circular cross section allows for the most area compared to the outside surface which allows the most flow of water in the sewers. They are also a stronger shape than squares for the pressure they are exposed to by the ground they are under and they are cheaper to manufacture.

Do I get the job?
  • MackTruck
    6 years ago
    Smash gawkers like button... haha

Going off of that...

Why are they not called butt plugs. They cover a sewer system
  • Harderlap
    6 years ago
    Also because a circle is the most efficient way to cover a given area. So, the material costs are at a minimum for manhole covers for a round cover. Are you taking a philosophy or calculus course?
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    I pretty much hate all interview questions. But I especially hate the courses that teach you how to answer them. It leads to a constant arms race where I've got to constantly find new ways to determine if a candidate truly has the qualities I'm seeking or if they've just been trained to interview well. I can sniff out the ones who've just been trained well with reasonable success and minimal effort, but my recruiters can't. So I end up doing 2nd interviews with 5x as many people as I should and wondering how many qualified candidates my recruiters turned away because the did poorly on those stupid questions. It wastes my time as well as the candidates time. Without that bullshit I could get the hires I need faster and jobseekers could get the jobs they need faster.

Its the same thing as the fuckwads in elementary school teaching kids how to pass the math test instead of teaching them the logical skills to understand the math they are performing. Turns into an arms race with poor 3rd graders getting ridiculous word problems to try and ask how much is 3 x 4; Half of the students taking differential analysis can't even understand what they're asking, much less the parents or kids. So the kids learn some keyword to focus on instead reading the question and understanding what is being asked.
  • FishHawk
    6 years ago
    The real reason that manhole covers are round is that they fit inside a lip. The actual hole is a bit smaller. The round cover can’t fall in the hole. Do you want to down into the sewer to retrieve a man hole cover/
  • kingcripple
    6 years ago
    Why exactly do you have to answer that question for an assignment? Is it a sewer job?

Also, I've seen fat strippers. They don't care if you're fat
  • -me
    6 years ago
    The cover is MUCH easier to put back in place properly when round. Any other shape and you will be stuck lining it up to get the cover back in place.
  • Nidan111
    6 years ago
    ^^^^ not if the cover was bigger than the hole. Fucking story of my life!
  • nicespice
    6 years ago
    “So I end up doing 2nd interviews with 5x as many people as I should and wondering how many qualified candidates my recruiters turned away because the did poorly on those stupid questions.”

Possibly a dumb question, but is there a way to re-train the recruiters?
  • crazyjoe
    6 years ago
    ^ retrain them with this book. Lol. Wtf

Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude https://g.co/kgs/pe9xHM
  • Dolfan
    6 years ago
    "Possibly a dumb question, but is there a way to re-train the recruiters?"

Yes and no. HR is a shared function, so the same people recruiting for my positions are also recruiting for a variety of other positions. It's not reasonable to expect them to have sufficient depth of knowledge in areas relevant to the positions I'm hiring for as well as all of the others in their portfolio. What we end up doing is using the recruiters to narrow down the right "types" of people. They'll pick which resumes get sent to me based on a list of criteria I give them, education/job history/location/etc. Then they'll do the first round of interviews mostly judging non-job specific criteria that can be shared within their portfolio. They'll try to throw a little stress at them to see how they react, try to get an idea of their mindset and reasoning skills, if they think their personality will fit with the team. But they know next to nothing about the job itself, at least not to the degree I expect the candidates to. That part they leave to the hiring managers to determine.

Could we blow up the whole process and find something more effective? Probably. Am I qualified and/or motivated to do that? Nope. I rely on my HR team to do that first round effectively because I don't have a more viable approach. That and it's kinda douchy for me to be running around to other departments telling them how to do their jobs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion