tuscl

OT: Another example of the "open mindedness" of liberals

Papi_Chulo
Miami, FL (or the nearest big-booty club)
Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:04 PM
Rider University in N.J. nixes idea for campus Chick-fil-A over its record on LGTBQ issues A New Jersey college asked its students what new restaurant they wanted on campus — but then took Chick-fil-A off the menu. Rider University, a private university in central New Jersey, polled students in the spring about what franchise they would like to see on campus. The results showed a preference for Chick-fil-A, which boasts the slogan “Eat More Chikin." But the university said it removed the restaurant as an option on a survey this fall based on the franchise's being “widely perceived to be in opposition to the LGBTQ+ community.” “We sought to be thoughtful and fair in balancing the desire to provide satisfying options for a new on-campus restaurant while also being faithful to our values of inclusion,” administrators wrote in a letter to the Rider community. The letter posted to the school's website Friday said the decision "required a difficult assessment of competing interests." "The choices in this situation, like in so many others, were imperfect," administrators said in the posting. "They challenged us to reflect on our values and consider what kind of community we want to provide for those who live and learn at Rider University." Chick-fil-A said in a statement to NBC News on Monday that it focuses on food, service and hospitality, and its restaurants and licensed locations on college campuses welcome everyone. [view link]

48 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    So the bulk of the students actually wanted Chick-Fil-A on campus, but the powers to be nixed it b/c the company did not have the same views as the administrators - if Chick-Fil-A wasn't breaking any laws, why not let the market decide - if you don't like what the restaurant stands for then don't eat there and let others choose to do the same or not choose to do the same. Liberals - the most open-minded people on earth - as long as you agree w/ them - o/w they'll shut you down rather than letting things be hashed out in the battleground of ideas.
  • doctorevil
    5 years ago
    Another example: [view link]
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Notice they said "widely perceived" Not that they have a record that exemplifies the assertion.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Rules of inclusion are not to protect the majority. They are to protect minorities from the majority. So ruling discrimination against a minority to be out of bounds is open mindedness, because you are accepting the minority, a sexual minority this time, and placing discrimination off of the table. We must have a really shitty educational system that people do not already understand this. SJG
  • gawker
    5 years ago
    The last time I ate at a Chick -fil-a I had the Bourbon Chicken and had a horrible case of the shits all night long. At one point I cried out, “God! Why hast thou forsaken me”. All I heard was a cow saying “Eat more chicken”. I have no idea if it’s still true but I remember Chick-fil-a being closed on Sundays because they were a “Christian “ owned restaurant.Does that discriminate against atheists? If they close on Sundays that might be a reason to not have them on campus.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Yes - they still close on Sundays.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Anti-LGBT is a reason to ban it from campus. SJG
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    LOL... so inclusive that they ban anyone not as inclusive as them.... Bullshit. Also SJG you like to research so show me where Chic fil a did anything anti LGBT. Not what they said, not what somebody said about them, just show that their actions were Anti-LGBT. If you cannot do this then never say another disparaging word about them
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Never looked into it, but it is believed that that is their position. If so, they should not be on campus. SJG
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    Having a position on something is different than acting on it...... Having racist beliefs is prejudice..... acting on those beliefs is discrimination. I don't think you can punish them for their beliefs or their position, you can punish them for their actions. So I ask again, if you are going to speak out against them show proof
  • yahtzee74
    5 years ago
    I went into a chik-fil-a the other day where half the guys working there were fem gays.
  • lopaw
    5 years ago
    Good for Rider U for taking a stand.
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    The university simply decided that they didn’t want to support an organization that actively contributes to causes that discriminate against LGTBQ folks. Actively. The owners are documented to have contributed to such causes. They didn't try to have shut down any existing restaurants, or try to get laws passed that prevent new ones from opening, they just decided they weren’t going to support Chick-fil-A’s stance. Being “liberal” doesn’t mean “must support everybody’s viewpoint,” it means *tolerating* other viewpoints. Allowing Chick-fil-A on campus goes beyond tolerance to support.
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    Besides, Chick-fil-A sucks. The *only* thing on their menu that’s even tolerable is the spicy chicken sandwich, and that only barely.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    Seems to me they're discriminating against Chik-Fil-A saying if you don't believe as we do then you wont be allowed to do business - there are laws against discrimination and it doesn't appear Chick-Fil-A broke those - the school asked the student-body to vote on which restaurant they wanted on campus and the majority of students voted to have Chick-Fil-A on campus but the administration decided to have their personal views determine who can do business - I guess inclusion means you better think like we do.
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    It's a private university and they are well within their rights to leave them out, but by allowing them to be included in the vote they are showing that they don't care about the wishes of their customers (students).
  • georgmicrodong
    5 years ago
    @Papi: they’re not forbidding them from doing business, they’re just not allowing them to do business *on university property*. It *is* lame for them to take them off the list *after* the student body votes though. Guess they didn’t think so many people would like the slop they serve.
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    Support the School..... Sue the cake baker..... OK I understand inclusion now
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    Closed on Sundays. Fuck that shit. Anyways the radical left of liberal arts colleges can be a special type of breed. Trigger warnings and safe spaces and all that stuff that creates a bubble that tries to protect adult college kids from the real world. CFA has only recently stopped donating money to anti LGBT groups. I still eat there but I feel bad about it.
  • Assmanjoe
    5 years ago
    But...but...but...they have awesome chicken. Pretty sure the college president resigned in protest to the banning of chik-fil-a. I heard about this. She was on board with the christian angle and told rider to shove it. A standup gal. Speaks volumes about how colleges are run in 2019...terrified of controversy. But in the end popeyes is just as good
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    I did a little reading on Chic fil a. They actually support christian values and got in trouble for supporting a marriage and family seminar at a church. They have repeatedly said they are not Anti-anything, they support no charities that are Anti-anything. They do support a lot of positive things such as foster care, education, family services, and marriage. The problem here is that if you do not openly support the LGBT agenda then you are labeled Anti LGBT. So is it fair to do the reverse, if you support LGBT then you are ANTI heterosexual, does that make lopaw a man hating bitch just because she supports LGBT. No it does not, lopaw is a quality person, no better and no worse than the rest of us. So unless you have proof of Chic fil a bombing a gay pride event please stop with the ANTI bullshit
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Okay, but you can't let something like that have one of a small number of open positions on a college campus. It has to be food only, no other agenda. SJG
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    But what if they have a pro- LGBTQ agenda? That's okay, right?
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    If they support inclusion and equality, that is not a pro-LGBTQ agenda. SJG
  • flagooner
    5 years ago
    Okay, so long as they support your causes it's okay.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Really its just that much of the society, and these colleges, have decided that inclusion and equality are the way. I do not run these colleges, but I do agree with the path they have taken. SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    A "telling it like it is" assessment of many of today's college campuses. The main-speaker starts at the 4:00 minute-mark: [view link]
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    The Manhattan Institute for Policy Research (renamed in 1981 from the International Center for Economic Policy Studies) is a conservative 501(c)(3) non-profit American think tank focused on domestic policy and urban affairs, established in New York City in 1977 by Antony Fisher and William J. Casey.[1][4][5] The organization describes its mission as to "develop and disseminate new ideas that foster greater economic choice and individual responsibility". Its message is communicated through books, articles, interviews, speeches, op-eds, and through the institute's quarterly publication City Journal. [view link] Basically a Right Wing Propaganda Mill, SJG
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    So Starbucks should be kicked off every college campus for their political agenda..... SJG said food only no agenda
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Does Starbucks have some political agenda other than just their cafe business? I was a factor in keeping their anti-Union and micromanagement views out of Safeway stores, for a while. SJG
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    Starbucks definitely sucks their coffee tastes like mud, I'd get rid of them, Chik-A-Fila is crap also, fuck their political agenda, make these kids eat a salad or something, get rid of all the fast food chains, and open some small mom and pop type cafeterias like we had when I was in school, that's the problem on campus's all over the country, these kids all eat the same garbage food, think the same way, and there is no originality left on American college campus's.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ eat a Snickers 25 - you're not yourself when you're hungry
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    25 is making a good point. Where I especially take exception is when they start introducing commercial junk food, for fee, into high schools. SJG
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    Are you fucking stupid? [view link] [view link] [view link]
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    I'm more of a three musketeers kind of guy : )
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    So stupid I had to say it three times.... I refuse to drink starbucks because their coffee sucks and I don't want to support the left wing agenda
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    @Daddillac Why am I stupid ? The shit these kids eat on campus is making their brains mushy!
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Well I think people have set the bar at public advocacy, and of a discriminatory agenda. So it was an anti-LBGT agenda, encouraging discrimination. Most American business, especially Big Business, gives money to the Republicans. I guess Starbucks is the opposite. But the bar for being branded as encouraging hate, comes from public advocacy of an agenda of non-inclusion. SJG
  • JamesSD
    5 years ago
    Anyways, you can be intolerant of intolerance, and you can punch a Nazi.
  • Daddillac
    5 years ago
    @25... I was talking to SJG who was questioning whether Starbucks has an agenda other than coffee. It is amazing the blind eye people will turn when they agree with you.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    JamesSD +10 SJG
  • twentyfive
    5 years ago
    ^I put that fool on ignore after that exchange with him and founder where founder reminded him that reviews and revenue were his motivation for this website,I've come to realize he is nothing but a fool and I really wish other folks would do the same, both him and fat boy are nothing more than suicidal nihilists, all they think about, is what they can benefit from, they don't have one drop of respect for what it takes to produce anything, as long as there's no cost to them they will keep taking. By ignoring them there is that much less for them to take.
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    In the link I posted, my jaw kinda dropped when the lady-speaker mentioned Harvard Medical School had taken down the pictures of its medical school founders b/c they were all white-men and this might offend or somehow intimidate the current crop of students.
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    ^^^^ I look at your link, I do not see mention of Harvard Medical School. [view link] Are you getting your news from Right Wing Media, because they will completely distort the interpretation to bolster their open ended war against "liberalism". Seems to go back to Pat Robertson at the 1988 Republican National Convention, saying that Michael Dukakis is a L-I-B-E-R-A-L. Most all of the people who founded this country would be for their day considered liberals. As would all those who fought to end legal racial segregation and discrimination, and the war in Vietnam, and to end slavery for that matter. SJG
  • Papi_Chulo
    5 years ago
    ^ I was referring to the 2nd link I posted
  • san_jose_guy
    5 years ago
    Do you mean this? [view link] That is definitely a Right Wing Propaganda Miill, not worth replying to. SJG
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion